The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah... ^^^that^^^ is nothing compared to what mine sounded like.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I don't hear what I should be concerned about in those 2 videos. It's hard to discern problems from pics and videos without a baseline sometimes.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ticking I hear in the background of the first video is what sound I'm hearing when I start up cold and when under load when driving by things the sound echoes off of. I think I still heard it a little in the second video too. Not a sound like something knocking metal to metal. But that ticking. My 1500's never sounded like that.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The ticking I hear in the background of the first video is what sound I'm hearing when I start up cold and when under load when driving by things the sound echoes off of. I think I still heard it a little in the second video too. Not a sound like something knocking metal to metal. But that ticking. My 1500's never sounded like that.
Thats how mine sounds too. My truck has been "soaking" for over 12 hours now so i'll attempt to get a vid this time.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
How do i post a video clip? Everytime i try to load one it kills tapatalk..

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
https://youtu.be/pg85ScO__Wk

Here it is. Take a listen..

Or if the link wont work for you either its on youtube as "6.4 hemi...knock?"

This is exactly what my truck was doing and I just got it back. My dealership did a really good job with it. They kept it over night Thursday, didn't hear anything friday monring (sounds exactly like yours...) kept it over the weekend and started it again today (monday morning) still didn't hear anything... they have a number of different times documented that it was started and didnt hear anything out of the normal...

They however did have some sort of software update that instantly bumped my mileage up and some sort of upgrade to the TPMS...

So you may want to talk with your dealership at least to see if you have any sort of updates needing to be done, but it doesnt sound like you have anything to worry about...

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Idk if im missing something but it sounds the same as jpro's to me. Honestly that is what had me most concerned at this point. I figured i was beginning to get overly paranoid about it, i just hope thats the case.

Last edited:

mandlbarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There was no mistaking the noise my truck was making. It sounded like an old Chevy diesel rattling away when I fired it up in the morning. It's now at the dealer for it's overnight soak, and should know tomorrow if I get a new engine.

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
https://youtu.be/pg85ScO__Wk

Here it is. Take a listen..

Or if the link wont work for you either its on youtube as "6.4 hemi...knock?"

Yah both of our trucks sounds the same. It must be normal. I hear others say theirs sound like a diesel truck. I'm not as concerned anymore that I had my engine replaced. I just got to take her in for the check engine light Thursday.

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There was no mistaking the noise my truck was making. It sounded like an old Chevy diesel rattling away when I fired it up in the morning. It's now at the dealer for it's overnight soak, and should know tomorrow if I get a new engine.

I have a feeling that you will get a new engine. My service manager told me engine sound is similar to what a diesel truck should sound, pretty loud. He said since Chrysler said to replace my engine even though it did not sound like it needed it, my truck is suspected to have a bad wristpin so just as a pre-caution they replaced it.

mandlbarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a feeling that you will get a new engine. My service manager told me engine sound is similar to what a diesel truck should sound, pretty loud. He said since Chrysler said to replace my engine even though it did not sound like it needed it, my truck is suspected to have a bad wristpin so just as a pre-caution they replaced it.

I'm pretty confident myself, just waiting on a response from the Chrysler Warranty Service Center. Hopefully tomorrow I'll know for sure.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'm trying to stay positive with my dealership. My appointment is Monday the 11th of May (scheduled over a week ago). Well I called today to have another thing added to the checklist for Monday the 11th. And the service guy I talked to was different than last time. He tells me, there is no appointment scheduled for me for Monday. I must say I was a little upset. He tells me they have over 62 hours of work scheduled for that day. And he talks to the guy I spoke with. He said go ahead and drop it off Sunday night and they'll get it on Monday morning. At this point I'm not real confident in them. Still trying to be nice. But come Monday if they don't manage to get it done. Or they tell me we can't seem to reproduce the issue you told us about, I'm sure I'll come unglued a little. Especially since they told me they have no recollection of the TEchnical Service Bulletin I sent to them. Even though they saw it and read it to me after I sent it to them by email.

Very upset at this point.

Clark (SupermanWV)

mandlbarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, finally found out this evening that I'm getting a new complete engine assembly! :) Supposedly they are pulling an engine from the assembly line and shipping it to my dealer. Hopefully my truck will be ready by the end of the month, because I have a trip planned to the sand dunes in ID.