The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So a quick update on my issues for those who cares.
To summarize, my engine have been replaced, the next day while driving, the check engine light went ON and a clunking noise (sounds very similar to a Ujoint issue) appears coming from under the truck. The noise happens at low speed, stop and go traffic. I drive it to work for the next couple of days check engine light turns OFF. Clunking noise is not as prominent. I take it to the dealership of course I could not reproduce the noise. The tech who rode with me says the clunking noise is because of the driveshaft angle. BTW, I have a 5.5" BDS lift with 35's. Anyone think the service tech is pulling a fast one? He also mentions my tranny may have gone to "limp mode"? Anyways...I left them my truck and they will perform diagnostics and check her out. I'm just waiting for a call back to hear what they have to say.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So a quick update on my issues for those who cares.
To summarize, my engine have been replaced, the next day while driving, the check engine light went ON and a clunking noise (sounds very similar to a Ujoint issue) appears coming from under the truck. The noise happens at low speed, stop and go traffic. I drive it to work for the next couple of days check engine light turns OFF. Clunking noise is not as prominent. I take it to the dealership of course I could not reproduce the noise. The tech who rode with me says the clunking noise is because of the driveshaft angle. BTW, I have a 5.5" BDS lift with 35's. Anyone think the service tech is pulling a fast one? He also mentions my tranny may have gone to "limp mode"? Anyways...I left them my truck and they will perform diagnostics and check her out. I'm just waiting for a call back to hear what they have to say.

Does the noise come from the front or rear of the truck? From what I have learned you have to ask to take the tech on a test drive to show them the noise, it makes their job much easier and ends up being less frustrating for you.

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does the noise come from the front or rear of the truck? From what I have learned you have to ask to take the tech on a test drive to show them the noise, it makes their job much easier and ends up being less frustrating for you.

The noise comes from mid to rear of the truck. The tech drove with me but I could not reproduce the noise. It's all good, the noise is not as bad as it used to when the check engine light was on.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Progress as of this morning with the engine replacement.

The tech was out of the shop for a couple of days learning about the new ZF transmission, how to diagnose and how to repair. So, my engine replacement has been slowed a bit.

As it is, the tech is doing his regular meticulous job. The old engine is out, he is prepping the engine bay to receive the new engine and we'll see how things go. Ram complicated this task a bit. The upper radiator core support is riveted to the uprights there, which are riveted to a lower crossbar. This slows things down a bit as he can't just lift it above the bumper height and slide it in. He's gotta go a bit higher and angle it in.

Anyway, here's some pics for your enjoyment. :)

Empty engine bay:

050815%2002_zpsuw8jpyhx.jpg

Old engine...anyone need a spare? :roflsquared:

050815%2003_zpsqq0hpv8x.jpg

New engine - I didn't see anything different except the old one had some dust on it...

050815%2004_zpsfehvwsfa.jpg

050815%2005_zpsoow3mzrw.jpg

I should have him pull the MDS solenoids, eh? But then they would make me pay for that and void my warranty... :flipthebird:

050815%2006_zpswj9a7eut.jpg

I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the truck back until next week.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can I have it to put in my 68 fish?? Lol ;) it might get a tiny bit better mileage than my 440 with about the same power.

Never mind, I could not have a muscle car without a lope from the cam.

On a side note, I wonder if there is aftermarket support for these or if the 5.7 suffer will work on this. I know there are Gen III hemi crate motors available and conversions to carb. Plenty of 5.7 a-body barracudas. Even a few gen I hemi stuffed in the fenders. Gen II take some gentle massaging of the passenger fender well with a BFH to fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I suspect there's nuthin' from the aftermarket yet except a programmer, Magnaflow's catback system @ $1200 a pop and plenty of universal fit mufflers.

I'd really like to do a cold air intake for this rig.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well.....my truck went in for service last night at 8pm. So it could cool enough so they could start it this morning and hear the ticking. Well.....they finally started it up around 10-10:30 am when it had heated up to 77 degrees. So no sound could they hear...... Amazing. Yet I told them even when not cold you can hear it when accelerating. But, they say a 25 year Chrysler consultant happened to be there and the noise I'm hearing they were claimimg it was lifters. I told them I know what lifters sounded like and that isn't the case here. After 20 minutes of arguing he said ....oh I was mistaken. It is injector noise. I was like..... It could be the worst injector ever and it wouldn't tick like the noise I'm hearing. Now they want me to drive around with the tech at 4:30 this evening.

At this point I'm about beside myself with how bad their customer service skills are. And how much they don't want a customer who knows more than them to be right. I'm trying to remain nice. But I must say its getting harder to maintain my cool. They also said they checked the exhaust manifolds. But only from looking down in from top of engine bay.

The only thing I think they have done is balance the tires. Chances are good they scuffed my wheels doing it though. LOL!

Crazy!

Clark (SupermanWV)

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well.....my truck went in for service last night at 8pm. So it could cool enough so they could start it this morning and hear the ticking. Well.....they finally started it up around 10-10:30 am when it had heated up to 77 degrees. So no sound could they hear...... Amazing. Yet I told them even when not cold you can hear it when accelerating. But, they say a 25 year Chrysler consultant happened to be there and the noise I'm hearing they were claimimg it was lifters. I told them I know what lifters sounded like and that isn't the case here. After 20 minutes of arguing he said ....oh I was mistaken. It is injector noise. I was like..... It could be the worst injector ever and it wouldn't tick like the noise I'm hearing. Now they want me to drive around with the tech at 4:30 this evening.

At this point I'm about beside myself with how bad their customer service skills are. And how much they don't want a customer who knows more than them to be right. I'm trying to remain nice. But I must say its getting harder to maintain my cool. They also said they checked the exhaust manifolds. But only from looking down in from top of engine bay.

The only thing I think they have done is balance the tires. Chances are good they scuffed my wheels doing it though. LOL!

Crazy!

Clark (SupermanWV)

If your describing the noise as a ticking and you can somewhat hear it while driving it's possible that your just hearing the normal 6.4 noises. Obviously I'm not there to hear your truck but there's a discernible difference between a tick and knock.

It might not hurt to ask to drive another truck and compare it, as I've said a few times you can not compare the sound of your 6.4 and a 5.7 in a 1500. The 6.4 is noticeable louder than a 5.7 in a 1500.

Even if you are right with what's wrong with your truck, the dealer can't just replace parts because the customer says that's what it needs. Until a tech,manager,Chrysler says it needs X part, then they will replace it.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
If your describing the noise as a ticking and you can somewhat hear it while driving it's possible that your just hearing the normal 6.4 noises. Obviously I'm not there to hear your truck but there's a discernible difference between a tick and knock.

It might not hurt to ask to drive another truck and compare it, as I've said a few times you can not compare the sound of your 6.4 and a 5.7 in a 1500. The 6.4 is noticeable louder than a 5.7 in a 1500.

Even if you are right with what's wrong with your truck, the dealer can't just replace parts because the customer says that's what it needs. Until a tech,manager,Chrysler says it needs X part, then they will replace it.

My BIL, who works at a dealer, was also just stating how much noisier the 6.4 are over the 5.7 engines.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I went and did just that.....we started 3 different 6.4L's and a 5.7L. And all sounded the same. (They were all 2015's). The 5.7L was a little quieter but still made the noise I have. The tech said it was a mix of the lifters and injectors noise. And that the engines in the 6.4L in the Challenger is just as noisy but you can't hear it as much because the exhaust is tuned to be louder than the trucks so it drowns out the noise. Which may explain why people who change exhaust think the noise goes away.

I'm not real happy. Because I paid so much for a truck that I do not like the sounds of. So looks like I'm gonna have to purchase a louder muffler. So I don't have to hear the sounds I have grown to hate. Because I love the looks of the RAM 2500. Hopefully one day they'll have a software update or a recall/TSB that quiets the lifters and injectors.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The heavy duty hemi engines have always been noisier. Honestly I don't know why, maybe cause there in a HD truck and they don't have to conform to some of the same ratings.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything to make them quieter. Modern engines seem to be getting noisier, it's just the nature of the beat. Go listen to anything with direct injection, you'll think you're listening to a diesel.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Almost done!

The engine is in and the tech was running it and doing new engine diagnostics... i.e., checking for leaks, monitoring coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, yadda yadda yadda.

I should get it back tomorrow afternoon!

051215%2001_zpss09bu0ox.jpg

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Almost done!

The engine is in and the tech was running it and doing new engine diagnostics... i.e., checking for leaks, monitoring coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, yadda yadda yadda.

I should get it back tomorrow afternoon!

051215%2001_zpss09bu0ox.jpg

That's great. I hope the install went better than mines did [emoji17]. After a couple of days of my engine replacement, my check engine light went on. It was diagnosed with low fuel pressure. Chrysler directed the dealership service dept to to replace the O2 sensors. That did not work so next step is to replace the ECM. Module was ordered today, waiting for shipping. Truck has been in the shop for 5 days now.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now ^^^^ THAT ^^^^ sucks!

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My truck is home.

Now I get to start the break in routine all over again.

No matter. It is nice to have it back...very nice.

sounds different now with the new engine in? no more clatter? what about the thing called "hemi tick"? do u hear it?

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No more clatter.

"Hemi Tick" is there as expected (it is a HEMI after all).

I haven't explored the depths of the power well yet, but I can tell this will be a much better performing engine.

mandlbarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My new engine arrived at the dealership Friday, truck is going in Wednesday for the engine swap. If all goes well I will have it for my trip at the end of the month. I know what the Owner's Manual says about break in, but it doesn't mention towing at all. How many miles should I put on before towing a 14' enclosed trailer with a RZR 900 in it 4 hrs. to ID?

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just asked this in the towing section. The thread is called pulling heavy during break in . I have about 600 miles now. I'm picking up my 5er toy hauler on Thursday. It's around 11 or 12k dry so I'm gonna take her easy. Like the manual says no towing for the first 500 then no speeds over 50mph for another 500 I think. I'll have to recheck before I hook up . I doubt you'll have to worry much but with the heavier weights it might be a concern. Manual doesn't really mention weights.