The old cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OUCH
How many miles on her?
What oil did you use?
How many idle versus running hours on it?
Perspiring minds want to know.
She's just shy of 114K miles. I've been using penzoil platinum full synthetic, and it does not spend much time sitting at idle. I fire it up and wait for the initial cold start idle to slow, and then drive it

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
She's just shy of 114K miles. I've been using penzoil platinum full synthetic, and it does not spend much time sitting at idle. I fire it up and wait for the initial cold start idle to slow, and then drive it
Well you did everything right. Pennzoil contains lots of Molybdenum which our hemi's like & minimum idle time is good too. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.
Have you owned her from new?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We really see too many of these threads.

Once you get it fixed I would consider running better oil. PP does not really have much moly in it, something around 60 ppm I think.

Assuming you are using 5W20 too. Since you live in Hawaii your best bet would be to run a stout 5W30 or 0W40 with at least 200 ppm of moly in it.

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well you did everything right. Pennzoil contains lots of Molybdenum which our hemi's like & minimum idle time is good too. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.
Have you owned her from new?
No, unfortunately I bought it used.
Had no tick at all when I bought it. Then the exhaust started leaking pretty bad on both sides. I fixed that, and then it got a lifter tick about 3 days later. It only took about a week for it start missing after the tick started

OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We really see too many of these threads.

Once you get it fixed I would consider running better oil. PP does not really have much moly in it, something around 60 ppm I think.

Assuming you are using 5W20 too. Since you live in Hawaii your best bet would be to run a stout 5W30 or 0W40 with at least 200 ppm of moly in it.
I will look into that for sure. I definitely don't have to worry about any cold condition viscosity issues haha.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The way that cam lobe is worn, it looks like the lifter turned 90 degrees in the bore.

How does that happen?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The way that cam lobe is worn, it looks like the lifter turned 90 degrees in the bore.

How does that happen?

What happens is the needle bearings fail so the roller tip stops turning, then it's metal to metal of different hardness so one eats away at the other until the roller is about gone and the lifter body starts eating the cam lobe.
Screenshot_20230822_081359_Google.jpg

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What happens is the needle bearings fail so the roller tip stops turning, then it's metal to metal of different hardness so one eats away at the other until the roller is about gone and the lifter body starts eating the cam lobe.
View attachment 526895
I get that about the needles, etc, but that radius on the cam lobe is wild.

It made me think the lifter was turned 90 degrees because of the way it looks. Other worn cam pics I've seen here just look like a flat wear spot across the lobe with mabe a spike on each side where the roller doesn't touch.

Flushing all that worn metal out looks like a job too.

if my cam ever decides to fail, getting her cleaned out really well during the repair is a big concern. There has to be a crap-ton of metal in there.

Any good write-ups on cleaning these hemi's out during a repair like this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gator Whiskers
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 526895
My lifter wasn't quite this bad, it still had the ears on both sides