These Firestones suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
i argee 100% firestones are completely useless in my opinion

They weren't too bad on my old 2004 F350 dually. They were stable on the highway, even while pulling a 42' toyhauler, and gave me enough grip in my hard to turn that same camper around, even if I was off in the grass...if the grass was dry. If the grass was wet it was four-wheel-drive or leave it in the front yard until the yard dried up.

The Firestone Transforce tires might be billed as all-season tires, but they're basically a heavy-towing highway tire. They're definitely NOT all-terrain tires.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
2007 Ford F150 came Continentals..... BAD JUNK
2002 Ram came with Firestone....Junk
2003 Ram came with Goodyear....Junk/Balance Issues
2014 Ram came with Goodyear...Junk/Balance Issues
2019 Ram Came with Bridgestones ....Slick on wet pavement and pulling boats and RV/ but better than good years takes two weights to BALANCE!!!!!
2008 Chrysler 300 came with Continental..... good tires
2014 Dodge Charger Came with Firestone.....JUNK
2018 Dodge Charge Came with Perrilis....okay

All truck owned has pulled RV, Boats, Trailers well kept. All tires were changed to Michelin

No I do not work for Michelin lol.....The 19 Ram will go to Michelin as soon as the Squidstones are worn down some more, but too bad of a tires except they are so darn slick in grass or wet roads with out 4wd engaged especially pulling any weight at all. Just my two cents not a big fan of original tires at all.Pay good money for a ride to find out how much better it really rides with good tires is a big surprise to what one was missing.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just drove through fresh snow, and pulled an 06 impala out of a ditch, they did just fine. Drive on wet and dry grass, mud, rock and dirt roads every time i go camping, which is 2 times a month, and always dispersed camping while hauling my 33 foot Palomino, and never a hiccup. They're not the best at any one thing, but they do everything I've asked them to do. Just hit 30k today, have about 15k left in them at this rate.

20200223_124803.jpg

FB_IMG_1582500065008.jpg

Screenshot_20200223-162002_YouTube.jpg

20200223_101844.jpg

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
guys loving on the OEM Tires made me think of the time my Cousin said he was happy with 26K dial-up when I tried to convince him to upgrade to Cable Internet.

it was all he knew and he was happy with it because he had no clue how much better it could become.

My truck came Junkyears.
My Son-in-Law can give me the Double Rabbi discount on Firestones. he works there, is the Top mechanic and could even get me new truck take-offs for practically nothing.

I Buy Michelin's at full retail and could not be happier.
His Wife, my Daughter, is not too happy with the Firestone's he put on her Ford Escape either.
then again, she is used to Michelins

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't know why everyone is **** talking the Firestone's. I tow my 36 foot camper with them, i go off road with them, drive in snow, climb on rocks, and they do just fine. Just hit 29k miles on them and they are wearing pretty well.

I don't have any complaints with the Firestones outside of their inability to provide reasonable traction on grass when loaded with 15,000 pounds of a Montana 3790RD fiver and trying to maneuver into a camping site. While grassy surfaces likely vary across the states, in my travel focus areas where I experience issues, upper mid-west, the grass is typically on the moist side making it ice to the tires.

The problem I have is finding a tire that is better at mitigating the traction issues I have. Going to a tire dealer, having different tire designs installed and then going out for a test is frowned upon.

The factory Firestones have excellent road manors, fine on wet and snowy roads but not great on ice. I don't want to give up the road manors but would like to increase the traction on ice and grass.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
guys loving on the OEM Tires made me think of the time my Cousin said he was happy with 26K dial-up when I tried to convince him to upgrade to Cable Internet.

it was all he knew and he was happy with it because he had no clue how much better it could become.

My truck came Junkyears.
My Son-in-Law can give me the Double Rabbi discount on Firestones. he works there, is the Top mechanic and could even get me new truck take-offs for practically nothing.

I Buy Michelin's at full retail and could not be happier.
His Wife, my Daughter, is not too happy with the Firestone's he put on her Ford Escape either.
then again, she is used to Michelins

Your analogy doesn't work here. Like it's been mentioned in this thread, plenty of people use them in environments that the tire was not necessarily designed for, and they do great.

Can you find a better tire for snow? Yes.
Can you find a better tire for mud? Yes.
Will you add weight, road noise, increase gas mileage, and lateral instability while towing due to tread block design? Yes.
Does the OEM tire perform well in a large variety of situations as designed? Looking at what some of the members have posted here, sure does.

Is Michelin a better tire? Depending on your use, but if it's a similar design to the OEM tire, it will not be a noticeable difference in every day use.

I don't have any complaints with the Firestones outside of their inability to provide reasonable traction on grass when loaded with 15,000 pounds of a Montana 3790RD fiver and trying to maneuver into a camping site. While grassy surfaces likely vary across the states, in my travel focus areas where I experience issues, upper mid-west, the grass is typically on the moist side making it ice to the tires.

The problem I have is finding a tire that is better at mitigating the traction issues I have. Going to a tire dealer, having different tire designs installed and then going out for a test is frowned upon.

The factory Firestones have excellent road manors, fine on wet and snowy roads but not great on ice. I don't want to give up the road manors but would like to increase the traction on ice and grass.

While very slick, wet grass, may feel like ice, a dedicated off road tire, with a softer compound, will do much better at providing traction on that surface. Unfortunately, for actual ice, a harder compound tire would have to be used. You would also notice a decrease in ride comfort in daily driving with those tires. It is very difficult finding a jack of all trades. There will be trade offs.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Not an Analogy.
Not a personal Attack on anyone.
Exactly what I stated, this reminds me of.....

BTW, Deki:

WINNER WINNER WINNER
You have have just an earned Membership into an all Inclusive, highly Exclusive Group of RamForum.com Members.

the exciting, alluring, exclusive IGNORE LIST.
Feel free to nonsensically Prattle on, incessantly, about all kinds of Inane Topics.
Make each and every Posting, a personal Attack. As hurtful, hateful, and without logic or reason, as one can achieve.

Like that Dog **** on another street, in another Country, I will no longer see it.
No if they only had a Ignore Feature for Life.....

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not an Analogy.
Not a personal Attack on anyone.
Exactly what I stated, this reminds me of.....

BTW, Deki:

WINNER WINNER WINNER
You have have just an earned Membership into an all Inclusive, highly Exclusive Group of RamForum.com Members.

the exciting, alluring, exclusive IGNORE LIST.
Feel free to nonsensically Prattle on, incessantly, about all kinds of Inane Topics.
Make each and every Posting, a personal Attack. As hurtful, hateful, and without logic or reason, as one can achieve.

Like that Dog **** on another street, in another Country, I will no longer see it.
No if they only had a Ignore Feature for Life.....

Nobody cares. Go learn to drive.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

So you're looking for a tire that performs great on every surface and weather condition imaginable? That tire doesn't exist. No matter what tire you buy you will find something you don't like about it.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Firestone Transforce are an AT tire. AT stands for all terrain, not sure what what Firestoneintended. It’s obviously different than Michelin, BFG, Cooper, Toyo, and many others. my wife drove my 3500 in the rain 1 time, and said we needed new tires because the back end was sliding around. The truck had around 8k miles on it at that point. I do still have them for summer months, because the are OK for dry roads. As mentioned, driving in grass & rains is poor and snow and ice is bad. My opinion. I live in Northern Michigan, and I would have been buried during deer season if I still had them on riding on unplowed logging roads.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So you're looking for a tire that performs great on every surface and weather condition imaginable? That tire doesn't exist. No matter what tire you buy you will find something you don't like about it.

I didn't use the word "great", I said I would like to increase the traction performance on ice and moist grass while maintaining road manors. I agree, the perfect tire doesn't exist but I think a tire that has better ice and moist grass while maintaining current manors exist, I'm simply trying to find it.

I realize I can add traction at the cost of road noise simply by pouring through the tires on tire rack and viewing the ratings and comments. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone found a better tire solution to the issue I experience.

Last edited:

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Seems like a decent all purpose tire to me. I've had no major issues so far (7k miles). Driven thru snow, mud, trails, nothing too crazy but no problems.
And they are pretty quiet. Loud tires are a peeve of mine. Drives me bonkers.

mopareg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Replaced my Firestone Transforce tires at 22K.....:3639243774_5f528137

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got 32k out of mine... need to replace due to wear.

I got close to 100k out of my Michelins on my last truck (mega cab).

So for road tires, they suck.

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My Transforce AT's made it just past 25,000 miles before they reached the potentially dangerous tread depth. Replaced them with Cooper Discoverer AT3XLT's and absolutely love them. On all sorts of surfaces, even in snow, they are great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I got these same tires, in 18". Love them--not as loud as I thought they would be. But they are thirstier than the Michelin LTX-AT's I had previously

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 51k miles on my factory Firestones, and they're not down to the treadwear indicators yet. I'll be getting some Michelins soon however. I am surprised they've lasted this long because, unless you special order better tires or it's a performance vehicle, factory tires usually are junk to keep costs down. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, but I rotate and balance every 6-8k miles and keep them aired up to specs. Could it be that the 10-ply last longer?

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I have a 2018 2500 4x4 CC with the OEM Transforce AT, I have 30k on them and plenty of tread left. I’ve only rotated them once.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
32k on my Transforce tires as well, and plenty of life left. Rotate at every oil change and i always run 65/80. Truck sees mud and snow monthly during the winter and i tow a 34 foot TT.