Thinking of buying a tuner for my 2012 dodge ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
Hey guys I hope yall are all staying safe with this corona situation were going through, but I had a question about tuners and which one is the best for the my 2012 dodge ram 1500. I was thinking of buying the diablo sport predator 2, I'm not sure if that's the best but I dont want to spend too much money on it. Would like to hear if yall got any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey guys I hope yall are all staying safe with this corona situation were going through, but I had a question about tuners and which one is the best for the my 2012 dodge ram 1500. I was thinking of buying the diablo sport predator 2, I'm not sure if that's the best but I dont want to spend too much money on it. Would like to hear if yall got any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Depends what you want it for and if you'll be doing future mods and if you'd like to plug and play or tune on your own. If you just want mds and speed limiter removed a regular diablo tuner with canned tunes will be fine. If you want to be able to do it all and tune your own stuff hp tuners. Both support email tuning if you do more mods. If I had my time back I would have hp tuners. It's Alittle less user friendly and doesn't come with plug and play tunes but it's a better platform in my opinion. Diablo is for lack of better words idiot proof. You just plug it in load ur tune and done.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Giulio A Grisetti
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
Depends what you want it for and if you'll be doing future mods and if you'd like to plug and play or tune on your own. If you just want mds and speed limiter removed a regular diablo tuner with canned tunes will be fine. If you want to be able to do it all and tune your own stuff hp tuners. Both support email tuning if you do more mods. If I had my time back I would have hp tuners. It's Alittle less user friendly and doesn't come with plug and play tunes but it's a better platform in my opinion. Diablo is for lack of better words idiot proof. You just plug it in load ur tune and done.

Well yeah mainly I just wanna run the tunes they have to see if I can get more power and disable the mds. I have a k&n cold air intake, str8 pipes going to the side, and I'm going to be doing more mods in the future.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Well yeah mainly I just wanna run the tunes they have to see if I can get more power and disable the mds. I have a k&n cold air intake, str8 pipes going to the side, and I'm going to be doing more mods in the future.
Honestly to start maybe jump on ebay or Craig's list or something and see if you can get a used one cheap. I know my buddy just bought one for like 150 bux

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You might need some programming help to turn off MDS.

I used DiabloSport programmers on three of my MOPAR vehicles with really good results, especially when using a custom tune. Honestly, the "canned" tunes that come with the programmer deliver an improvement but it's not a huge gain in performance. The performance increases using a custom tune are really impressive.

OP
OP
Giulio A Grisetti
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
You might need some programming help to turn off MDS.

I used DiabloSport programmers on three of my MOPAR vehicles with really good results, especially when using a custom tune. Honestly, the "canned" tunes that come with the programmer deliver an improvement but it's not a huge gain in performance. The performance increases using a custom tune are really impressive.
Okay I gotcha I think I'm gonna buy it anyways, how do you get custom tunes tho ? I'm just bored with this quarantine and wanna buy some things for my truck lol

OP
OP
Giulio A Grisetti
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
Honestly to start maybe jump on ebay or Craig's list or something and see if you can get a used one cheap. I know my buddy just bought one for like 150 bux

I tried finding a used one but couldnt find it so I think I'm just gonna buy a new one.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Okay I gotcha I think I'm gonna buy it anyways, how do you get custom tunes tho ? I'm just bored with this quarantine and wanna buy some things for my truck lol

Matt @ Moe's Performance, one of our Preferred Vendors here on RamForum, can hook you up with the tuner and a HemiFever custom tune package.

I got my package from Matt/Hemifever for my 2014 6.4L 2500 and it was a great performance enhancer. As I said, the canned tunes are OK (meh) but the custom tune really made a difference.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it is always better to buy new, that way you have someone you can rely on to answer your questions and provide support. If you buy used sometimes it's sort of a crapshoot to try to get your questions answered and get help if you need it. Moe's Performance would be a good choice!!!!!
Jay