Thinking of getting a new 2019 1500, which trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ute4Life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really love the 2019's but now am trying to figure out which trim to get.

I go back and forth between the 12 inch screen, and the air suspension. And I go back and forth if I want a rebel or like a laramie or even limited. I would rather not spend the money on the limited but I just don't know.

Does anyone have real world experience with the 12 inch Uconnect? Also can anyone help me understand the benefits of the Rebel. I don't do much off-roading and if i did we would probably drive my wife's JL.

I would really just love some insight from people that have the 12 inch and those that have the limited and those that were on the fence of getting a Rebel or not.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The REbel 12 is basically limited rebel. You could add the off road package to any package for $795 and have 90% of what a rebel has. I did not order the 12 inch screen on mine and I am still very happy with the 8 inch screen. I do like the air suspension over the regular suspension having had both suspensions on several vehicles.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the complaints I’ve seen about the 12”, I’d skip that altogether, especially the HK audio system. As for trim, you really have to go out and sit in them yourself and feel them out. Depending on your personal style likes, one will “naturally” figure itself out once you do. If you want the 12” then you saved yourself some time and don’t have to look at Big Horn, Tradesman or current Rebel (not to be confused with 12 Rebel).

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
I decided not to get the 12” screen because the knobs are much easier to control when driving because you find them without looking. I have the 8.4 and it is plenty big.

I went with the Laramie because I wanted front bench seats and air ride suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slatts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago. I went with the Laramie Longhorn with 12" and ORP. I'm having none of the problems with the 12 as others have reported. About the only thing I didn't get was air suspension and the panoramic roof. I'm sure that the air suspension is nice but it's really hard to imagine a better ride than what I got tbh.

As far as trim goes, I think the Longhorn is better than the Limited ....and it costs about the same too!

jbarth09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m just torn between getting Air Suspension or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The ride is so nice I don't think you would miss the air suspension. Go drive a Ford and then a Chevy and then a 4th gen RAM before coming back to the 5th gen and it will be a real eye opener on how much better the RAM is esp. the 5th gen's.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
If you are considering those options you must be shopping in a higher price range than me but I always get leather buckets/nav/sunroof/4WD/20's and nice wheels so the cut-off for that stuff on a ram seemed to be the Laramie. I got a Billet silver one with that stuff and sports package and off road and all the trailer tow stuff because we have a travel trailer to tow occasionally. I thought the 12" screen was too big and that package was not worth 4500$ to me. I think the trim level with all the wood is ok but the cowboy leather interior is not really my style. IMHO

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In 2009 I went with SLT with premium buckets cloth , lone Star package , Rambox crewcab

2015 Ecodiesel, Longhorn,4wd, Air suspension, Rambox with the etching in the leather. Very comfortable seats .
If I bought a new one it would be Longhorn package

BlownOut1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ride is so nice I don't think you would miss the air suspension. Go drive a Ford and then a Chevy and then a 4th gen RAM before coming back to the 5th gen and it will be a real eye opener on how much better the RAM is esp. the 5th gen's.
Ha! Exactly what I did. Wasn’t even considering a RAM for whatever reason (was between the tundra and the f150). The 2019 1500 is the best full size truck available right now.

R1200GS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really love the 2019's but now am trying to figure out which trim to get.

I go back and forth between the 12 inch screen, and the air suspension. And I go back and forth if I want a rebel or like a laramie or even limited. I would rather not spend the money on the limited but I just don't know.

Does anyone have real world experience with the 12 inch Uconnect? Also can anyone help me understand the benefits of the Rebel. I don't do much off-roading and if i did we would probably drive my wife's JL.

I would really just love some insight from people that have the 12 inch and those that have the limited and those that were on the fence of getting a Rebel or not.
Unless you have to have the 12" screen and leather, I think the best value is a well-equipped Big Horn. Two cents.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went Laramie for the leather(frost) and the bench seating. Not that I need room for 6 often, I just like the option of it jic. Reminded me of my first pickup, which was the Lightning which had a bench seat.

If you won't use the Rebel for offroading, then the once reason to get it would be for it's looks. If you like it that is.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago. I went with the Laramie Longhorn with 12" and ORP. I'm having none of the problems with the 12 as others have reported. About the only thing I didn't get was air suspension and the panoramic roof. I'm sure that the air suspension is nice but it's really hard to imagine a better ride than what I got tbh.

As far as trim goes, I think the Longhorn is better than the Limited ....and it costs about the same too!

I haven't actually bought yet, but toying with the Build & Price website equally appointed Laramie and Limited the Limited comes out about $2,000 more than the Laramie. I think the only difference (based on my choices, but keep it same-same between trims) was that the Laramie had Harmon-Kardon sound.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

No. Air Suspen is just one more thing to break. On top of that, the air sus sys is probably something not likely to be easy for an owner to fix himself (as opposed to say, a radiator, fuel pump, water pump etc)

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You already said your wife has a jeep.
Don't get the rebel then.

I'm in a similar boat. My 05 Ram has been to the mountains and in the beach sand many times. Until my wife got her 16 Wrangler JK. Now the old 05 1500 never leaves pavement (well, some dirt roads and grassy fields, but hardly "4x4" terrain). We take the jeep every time we go off-roading.

Sure, I could take the kitchen sink camping in the 1500, and the jeep is definitely "roughing it" by comparison with how few goodies you can bring along, but we reconciled it pretty quick. If we're going somewhere where the jeep is funner or the truck cant go, we have to accept less stuff. If we want to camp with lots of stuff, we take the truck and go to different, "regular" camping places.

The point is, once you get a jeep you'll be very interested in taking it, and NOT your truck, into the boonies. Jeeps are just funner for that. Period.

You'll waste money on redundant functionality if you go Rebel.

My next truck is going to be a luxury car in the form of a pickup truck. Anathema to me just a few years ago ("a truck is not a car!" I used to preach) but I'm in my 50s now, the truck will be my daily driver, and other than household chores (ply board, beach gear, plants, trash to the dump) the next truck will be my everyday ride. Looking for a nice optioned Laramie. After all, the wife has a jeep for the fun drives!

jbarth09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I haven’t driven a ford or Chevy. The one thing that worries me is with the air suspension, will I be limiting myself to aftermarket lift options. I saw one company does a 4” lift with air, and I’m assuming that the same company, and others will release a lift eventually, but for me 4” is too much?

I’ve tried looking for tech specs on how much the air goes up and down in the respective settings.

I’m hoping the Mopar lift will become compatible with the Rebels with air.