This is a bit of a Shocker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sadly, the push for EV's will be the death of all types of racing that we grew up watching. NASCAR, NHRA, local tracks will all eventually close down. There goes another piece of my youth.

YammyMonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi
Bandimere here in Colorado is closing down at the end of the season too. Same thing, housing development and the county wants them out. Sounds like they're looking to move out east, but who knows?

Mile High Stadium, Ball Arena and Elitch's are all going to move out of the down town area because...development.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The town this year just voted on Rezoning the area that incorporates E-town so now the dragstrip could never come back. All the owners weren't even advised it was coming up for a vote! Then in Bradenton, FL they're trying to mess with the future of Freedom Factory and dragstrip there because they want to put in a residential community that is not zoned for it. I think it did pass so they might be lucky to last 10 yrs now.
What's this world coming too!
Is that the Desoto dragstrip?....a boatload of housing has been goin up around that area for a bunch of years now...sad.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep that's it....the fella that bought that place..cannot remember his name for the life of me is a u-tube star..reopened little while back after a couple years of being closed(dunno if the dragstrip was clised tho)..think a racer died in a wreck at the circle track...I base i-75 as the mark for east and west..so east for me...the areas from 75 moving east are getting built up

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sadly, the push for EV's will be the death of all types of racing that we grew up watching. NASCAR, NHRA, local tracks will all eventually close down. There goes another piece of my youth.
It's not EVs that are killing racing, it's the insane price of cars. EVs make up about 1% of cars on the road.

Young men are inside playing racing video games instead of outside actually racing because cars as a whole are ridiculously priced. Trying to find anything with even moderate performance cred for under $30k that isn't beat to pieces is just about impossible... and if you buy a beat up sport or muscle car you need a degree in computer science to work on it yourself.

Mustang GT... $50,000. Camaro SS... dead. Charger/Challenger R/T... $45,000 and the last ones are vanishing from lots real quick. The sport compact market is dead. Lancer Evo is dead. Subaru STI is dead.

Many middle class Americans are being priced out of car ownership period. Young adults just getting started? Forget about it.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not EVs that are killing racing, it's the insane price of cars. EVs make up about 1% of cars on the road.

Young men are inside playing racing video games instead of outside actually racing because cars as a whole are ridiculously priced. Trying to find anything with even moderate performance cred for under $30k that isn't beat to pieces is just about impossible... and if you buy a beat up sport or muscle car you need a degree in computer science to work on it yourself.

Mustang GT... $50,000. Camaro SS... dead. Charger/Challenger R/T... $45,000 and the last ones are vanishing from lots real quick. The sport compact market is dead. Lancer Evo is dead. Subaru STI is dead.

Many middle class Americans are being priced out of car ownership period. Young adults just getting started? Forget about it.
While I agree with your post, my response was about motorsports, such as NHRA, NASCAR, and any other motorsport you can name. It's not so much the cost of fuel, these professional racers have sponsorships that help cover the cost of fuel. I'm talking about the electrification of our vehicles we depend on for every day activities. The government is trying to force us into EV's and the elimination of internal combustion engines as a whole.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm talking about the electrification of our vehicles we depend on for every day activities. The government is trying to force us into EV's and the elimination of internal combustion engines as a whole.
It won't work. There aren't enough rare earth metals in the world to make all the batteries necessary, and very few people want to buy a used EV and be on the hook for a $5000 - $10000 battery replacement when the vehicle is 10 to 12 years old.

As the adoption of EVs spreads their faults will become more widely apparent and demand for them will falter. The gubmit doesn't have enough money to control the auto market.

NASCAR is failing because it sucks. Nothing about those cars is "stock" anymore... and that was the whole purpose of the sport. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. The only fans the sport has left are there for the nostalgia.

The NHRA is failing for pretty much the same reason. Nothing about those cars is even remotely attainable to the average person. Both of those sports need to get back to their roots of real cars instead of million dollar custom fabricated machines.

You see these "street takeovers" on the news. You see YT channels like 1320 video with literally millions of subscribers. There is still a good sized crowd who like fast cars, it's just that the professional organizations which originally came about to support such things have all lost touch with their fans.

Professional racing could stage a comeback, but just like Disney and Bud Light they're actually going to have to listen to their fans to do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It won't work. There aren't enough rare earth metals in the world to make all the batteries necessary, and very few people want to buy a used EV and be on the hook for a $5000 - $10000 battery replacement when the vehicle is 10 to 12 years old.

As the adoption of EVs spreads their faults will become more widely apparent and demand for them will falter. The gubmit doesn't have enough money to control the auto market.

NASCAR is failing because it sucks. Nothing about those cars is "stock" anymore... and that was the whole purpose of the sport. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. The only fans the sport has left are there for the nostalgia.

The NHRA is failing for pretty much the same reason. Nothing about those cars is even remotely attainable to the average person. Both of those sports need to get back to their roots of real cars instead of million dollar custom fabricated machines.

You see these "street takeovers" on the news. You see YT channels like 1320 video with literally millions of subscribers. There is still a good sized crowd who like fast cars, it's just that the professional organizations which originally came about to support such things have all lost touch with their fans.

Professional racing could stage a comeback, but just like Disney and Bud Light they're actually going to have to listen to their fans to do it.
You nailed it :waytogo: