Those towing RVs with a 3500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Laramie trimmed 3500 CTD, 4x4, CC, SRW with the 68RFE transmission. Wife and I are going to spend the next few years traveling the country pulling a 15K pound fiver. The truck will have the 5th wheel prep package. Any thoughts about the factory air leveling system, needed or not? What advise would you give me based on your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Is a dually a option? I have pulled some heavy trailers with SRW and it seems like the extra tire on the ground makes it a lot more stable with cross winds just a idea not a must have.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^My thoughts exactly. I'm not a DRW fan, but for that amount of driving with 15K behind you, it would certainly pay for itself.
I would find out the pin weight of the 5'er you're after (unless you already have it?) as well as the payload for the configuration you're after, and if you're anywhere close I would add the air system.

OP
OP
BossHogg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The payload is 3782 (door sill sticker) and my pin weight is about 2300 pounds +-. DRW is out, wife and I like to explore often traveling single width sand roads looking for lighthouses, a child-bearing rear end is out. If I was going to pull north of 17K then DRW would be a must.

It is hard to find a 3500 with the factory air leveling, may have to order one. From what I can tell, this is a worth-while option. Thanks guys.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would imagine it would be a nice option to have. You're in weight Limit and have plenty of payload left ( you have done your research) get the options you want even if you have to order it the wait will be worth it!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The payload is 3782 (door sill sticker) and my pin weight is about 2300 pounds +-. DRW is out, wife and I like to explore often traveling single width sand roads looking for lighthouses, a child-bearing rear end is out. If I was going to pull north of 17K then DRW would be a must.

It is hard to find a 3500 with the factory air leveling, may have to order one. From what I can tell, this is a worth-while option. Thanks guys.

Check out some of the other threads on the air leveling system. They are freezing up in cold climates and causing many problems. Just a thought.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How much are you going to be driving the truck without the camper? That will be your determining factor. The 2500's have the coil springs replaced vs the 3500's which is air assisted. The air assist allows the rear leaf Springs to be a softer rate to allow for a softer ride empty and still have the air assist for when hauling.

OP
OP
BossHogg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Check out some of the other threads on the air leveling system. They are freezing up in cold climates and causing many problems. Just a thought.

I hate hearing that. Since this is our retirement, we are selling out of Michigan, traveling for a few years before settling back down in the South somewhere. Hopefully cold weather is out of our future.

How much are you going to be driving the truck without the camper? That will be your determining factor. The 2500's have the coil springs replaced vs the 3500's which is air assisted. The air assist allows the rear leaf Springs to be a softer rate to allow for a softer ride empty and still have the air assist for when hauling.

2500s do not have the payload capacity for a fiver, all the 2500s I looked at are right around 2200 pounds, less that just the pin weight on a typical 5th wheel trailer. I've read the air leveling system smoothed out the ride. I have to balance ride versus tow/payload capability.

We are going to tow to some place, camp for a couple weeks before moving on to the next camp site. Plan on extend stay out in California during the winter and visit with my son, daughter-in law and new grandson. Will also likely make an extended stay in the Keys one a year.

Looks like I'm on the right track, now to find the truck.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If the air assist system fits in your budget I say get it. The added comfort when unhooked + the added stability feel when hooked will be worth it. There is a reason the aftermarket systems are so popular.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hate hearing that. Since this is our retirement, we are selling out of Michigan, traveling for a few years before settling back down in the South somewhere. Hopefully cold weather is out of our future.

2500s do not have the payload capacity for a fiver, all the 2500s I looked at are right around 2200 pounds, less that just the pin weight on a typical 5th wheel trailer. I've read the air leveling system smoothed out the ride. I have to balance ride versus tow/payload capability.

We are going to tow to some place, camp for a couple weeks before moving on to the next camp site. Plan on extend stay out in California during the winter and visit with my son, daughter-in law and new grandson. Will also likely make an extended stay in the Keys one a year.

Looks like I'm on the right track, now to find the truck.

I wasn't saying buy a 2500, I was just saying that you have to research just 3500 air suspension if you are interested in it because it is completely different than the 2500 system that most people would have experience with. Also you are looking at diesel trucks, which for the weight you are pulling you should be, but the 6.4 trucks like mine have a payload of about 3200 pounds.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Laramie trimmed 3500 CTD, 4x4, CC, SRW with the 68RFE transmission. Wife and I are going to spend the next few years traveling the country pulling a 15K pound fiver. The truck will have the 5th wheel prep package. Any thoughts about the factory air leveling system, needed or not? What advise would you give me based on your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

I run a 2014 laramie 3500 SRW CTD mega cab 4X4 with the 68RFE Transmission, I've never pulled anything at 15K but I have towed 13K and besides the drop in MPG I hardly knew the trailer was there. You'll be happy with the 3500 SRW, I too looked at the 2500 but the payload was too low for a fifth, once you hook the fifth up you're maxed out. As for the DRW alot more towing power, but like you I planned on towing to a locatin and touring. I wanted the air ride but it wasn't available till half way through 2014 so I never got it. at first I was disapopinted only cause I wanted it, but after all the problems I've heard about it in the cold I'm glad I don't have it. I think you'll be happy with the 3500. I am!:):):)

OP
OP
BossHogg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I run a 2014 laramie 3500 SRW CTD mega cab 4X4 with the 68RFE Transmission, I've never pulled anything at 15K but I have towed 13K and besides the drop in MPG I hardly knew the trailer was there. You'll be happy with the 3500 SRW, I too looked at the 2500 but the payload was too low for a fifth, once you hook the fifth up you're maxed out. As for the DRW alot more towing power, but like you I planned on towing to a locatin and touring. I wanted the air ride but it wasn't available till half way through 2014 so I never got it. at first I was disapopinted only cause I wanted it, but after all the problems I've heard about it in the cold I'm glad I don't have it. I think you'll be happy with the 3500. I am!:):):)

Good to hear. I had my dealer search for a 3500 with the air leveling but only one could be found (dealer in Cincinnati, Ohio) but the dealer resisted the dealer exchange. So I decided to have one built, should be here end of May, just in time for camping season. Ordered a Long Horn, CTD, 68RFE, 4x4, 6'4" bed with 5th wheel prep package, SRW, air leveling, and a few creature features. Thanks for everyone's input, it was helpful.

Last edited: