Thoughts on the Hemi engine cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Like the title says, I’m just curious what everyone’s thoughts and opinions on the plastic engine cover. Do you think it serves an actual purpose, or do you think it’s just eye candy.
Also, do you have one one your Hemi, or have you removed it.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I like em, my 2022 classic didn’t come with it so I bought one

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like the title says, I’m just curious what everyone’s thoughts and opinions on the plastic engine cover. Do you think it serves an actual purpose, or do you think it’s just eye candy.
Also, do you have one one your Hemi, or have you removed it.

My '21 Classic didn't come with the eye candy cover, either.

I like the appearance but after my experience with having a cover on my Tundra, I'd pull it off asap and use it as a paperweight or wall candy in my shop.

The rodents love to build houses in there and if it weren't for the miraculous luck of a Toyota recall, requiring the entire intake manifold to be extracted, it would have been an expensive wiring repair.

They were already in there, so, it cost about $100 for a new connector, wiring, and labor.

The recall charge (under extended warranty, compliments of Toyota USA, was just short of $2K in about 2012, AFAIR.

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
Hmmm, they seem to be on all the new vehicles now that you mention it. My '93 BRONCO has definitely never had one. Maybe remove it off the RAM in the summer and leave it on in the winters (if you live in some frozen tundra location)??? I know you have to go and pull the damn thing off the 5.7L to service the PCV, I just replaced the '17's the other day. I cleaned it and did put it right back on afterwards btw.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm, they seem to be on all the new vehicles now that you mention it. My '93 BRONCO has definitely never had one. Maybe remove it off the RAM in the summer and leave it on in the winters (if you live in some frozen tundra location)??? I know you have to go and pull the damn thing off the 5.7L to service the PCV, I just replaced the '17's the other day. I cleaned it and did put it right back on afterwards btw.

Up here where it gets frosty, the rodents like a warm engine, especially in the winter.

So, if you wanted to cycle the cover on and off, the better arrangement would be, on in summer and off in winter.

And then there's never a guarantee that a summer resident rodent would choose to have a warm evening by your Hemi.

That's why it would be wall candy in my shop for me. :cool:

OP
OP
Dark Knight 500

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for this thread. Why in hell do we keep putting that thing back on?
NP haha I had mine off this weekend too change my fuel pressure sensor, when I was finished I thought about putting it back on then was like, I actually like the look of the engine bay better without it. So it’s sitting in the shed.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NP haha I had mine of this weekend too change my fuel pressure sensor, when I was finished I thought about putting it back on then was like, I actually like the look of the engine bay better without it. So it’s sitting in the shed.

Better to keep the rodents in the shed anyway. :cool:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep mine on. one trip to moab was enough for me to learn it does serve a purpose. my first trip I thought why keep the heat in going to a 100F+ place. after running trails there was so much dirt and dust in ever crevice of the engine. Got home cleaned it up and 6 months later was back running trails in moab and my temps stayed the same (oil,coolant and tranny) ran the same trails and all the dust was on the cover so easy to clean off. it does muffle the injector tick a bit as well.