Thoughts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbadramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I will be buying a truck soon and have been reading alot of info on trucks and such. I have it boiled down to 4 options. A 1992 w250 cummins 12v 4x4 with aalot of work done to it and in great condition $4000, A 1997 dakota 4x4 150k miles with a 5.2 $2500, a 1995 Ram 4x4 with a 5.9 80k miles $2300 body is mismatched fenders so it is a lower price, or a 2002 Ram 4x4 with a 5.7 Hemi 188k miles great condition $4000. I was wondering what you guys think the best truck would be here for me and for the price in general. I have a high mechanical ability and have just about any tool I would need to pull wrenches on the truck. I will be lifting it and adding some larger off road tires. What truck would be best for off road? Also I will only be having the truck for about two years till I can upgrade. I need a truck now though hence I have to pick between these three. Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon!
Tim:)

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
They didn't start putting hemi in rams till 2003

I'd be weary of buying a previously modified cummins, you never know what kind of headache you might get yourself into
Also the weight of the motor makes it a little bit tougher to use in the woods and te extra torque may get you into more trouble (wheel slip)

OP
OP
B

bigbadramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah just a typo lol 2003 ram and the engine is stock. He put a whole new front end in along with doors bed alternator radiator battery and brakes. the engine and trans are stock. I would not go after it if it were modifed

OP
OP
B

bigbadramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never thought the extra torque would be a problem but now that you pointed it out it makes sense. Not to serious into off road. from what I have read gassers seem to be a better option off road. Would you agree?

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
I don't agree with some of above yet I agree with a lot of the thoughts.
Here is my opinion. I bought my 1999 Dodge V-10 4x4 5 speed for $5500 over a years ago with 72,000 miles. Body is rough but interior was 90%. Glass was all good. doors & all worked great.
So my choice is low mileage who care about the body as long as it isn't beat to crap.
The diesel is the good 5.9 Cummins. But what is the mileage, & what has been done to the engine? As for too much torque in 4x4 form I have never had too much torque.
The Dakota if a QC would be OK. The standard cabs lacked room for my liking I'm over 6 foot. We had a 2002 Dakota 4x4 std cab.
So if it was me & the 95 Ram 4x4 5.9 if if had a clean interior & didn't show frame or suspension replacement or damage. Basically was the wreck just sheet metal?
So one more opinion to consider.

OP
OP
B

bigbadramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah my dream truck would be the v10. There are only 2 by me. One is lifted 12 inches which is to much for my liking and the other has a plow on it. I really don't want to have to replace the whole front end on it but the guy said he just put it on. What are your thoughts on that truck? Its got about 150k on it and has a plow and salter. He wants $3600. I can sell the plow and salter for about 800 to $1000. but would the damage be worse then the recoup?

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
Yeah my dream truck would be the v10. There are only 2 by me. One is lifted 12 inches which is to much for my liking and the other has a plow on it. I really don't want to have to replace the whole front end on it but the guy said he just put it on. What are your thoughts on that truck? Its got about 150k on it and has a plow and salter. He wants $3600. I can sell the plow and salter for about 800 to $1000. but would the damage be worse then the recoup?

Aren't most of those plows bolt on? What a bumper? I'm not sure what has to be modded to add a plow or the plow it has.
That seems like a good price. I really like my V10, I have a friend with one & he just drives the crap out of it.
The only draw back is they like gas. So if your not going to be driving mega miles every day your OK.
My brother in law works for a Dodge Dealer & he says he seldom sees issues with the V10. They are a LA Motor same base as the 3.9 V-6 5.2, 5.9 gas.

OP
OP
B

bigbadramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nah I do not care about gas at all to be quite honest. Any truck I look at will be in the low teens so why get less truck to save a few bucks. I was just worried because I have heard bad things about plow trucks. I actually just found a sweet v10 on craigslist 110k miles just needs paint and its 2500 No plow or anything to worry about. How does your truck drive compared to a 5.9? Alot of get up and go with that 400 or so ftlbs?