Throttle Body or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ramssofar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2007 Ram 2500 with 5.7 Hemi. Driving in traffic but steady pace, engine stalls. Get to side of road, restarts but check engine light on. I get to my work location where the truck sits for approx. 8 hours. Starts right away and I head toward a parts store to see if I can get a meter on t right away to see what issue might be. Stall again on way, luckily I get pulled over into parking lot. I see check engine light, and the red lightning bolt on dashboard, I start thinking ETC. Look into manual and online on phone to confirm. Get to parts store, get new Throttle body and borrow a meter to be sure of issue. Check meter code P0300 - engine misfire (many time associated with Throttle control, so I replace part in parking lot. Still no start. Call tow, flatbed winching me up onto bed, I instinctively turn key to get power steering and truck starts while I am at n incline (odd I think) Tow operator says, lets back it down and if your good, I will only charge for jump not a tow (never actually had to jump, just saving me money) As soon as I go flat , truck stalls again. Get flatbedded home and tack truck off, starts right up while flat in my driveway... Thinking maybe ETC reset, calibrated? In morning truck starts right up, no issue but stalls again, no start after driving 200 yards down the road. I leave on my block for the day and take my other Ram to work. Come home, starts right up. but stalls, restarts. I need to feather gas to get it home (200 yards or so)... any thoughts? Thanks

Novawill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Hi there, could be a fuel pump. Not sure, I look forward to hearing others weigh in. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2007 Ram 2500 with 5.7 Hemi. Driving in traffic but steady pace, engine stalls. Get to side of road, restarts but check engine light on. I get to my work location where the truck sits for approx. 8 hours. Starts right away and I head toward a parts store to see if I can get a meter on t right away to see what issue might be. Stall again on way, luckily I get pulled over into parking lot. I see check engine light, and the red lightning bolt on dashboard, I start thinking ETC. Look into manual and online on phone to confirm. Get to parts store, get new Throttle body and borrow a meter to be sure of issue. Check meter code P0300 - engine misfire (many time associated with Throttle control, so I replace part in parking lot. Still no start. Call tow, flatbed winching me up onto bed, I instinctively turn key to get power steering and truck starts while I am at n incline (odd I think) Tow operator says, lets back it down and if your good, I will only charge for jump not a tow (never actually had to jump, just saving me money) As soon as I go flat , truck stalls again. Get flatbedded home and tack truck off, starts right up while flat in my driveway... Thinking maybe ETC reset, calibrated? In morning truck starts right up, no issue but stalls again, no start after driving 200 yards down the road. I leave on my block for the day and take my other Ram to work. Come home, starts right up. but stalls, restarts. I need to feather gas to get it home (200 yards or so)... any thoughts? Thanks
If you've replaced the ETC, I'd look into a fuel pump. Make sure you hear it prime before you start the truck. If you have remote start you should hear it turn on and off twice before starting. It sounds more like a lack of fuel pressure to me than a throttle body issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Borrow a fuel pressure tester from your friendly auto parts store. I drive a 5.9 CTD so I don't have any idea what the fuel pressure should be. This just sounds like a fuel pump dying or possibly a clogged fuel line or filter.

Mike

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wonder if a wire to fuel pump is shorting out?

Charged392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7/392 stroker
I doubt it’s a fuel pump issue if it starts on an incline but not flat. Seems backwards fuel wise. Deff check the pressure and see what you get. Hemi should be in the 59psi range +/- 3

mizewilliamc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
The red lightning bolt is your charging system light. Sounds like a bad alternator to me. This tends to start happening around 100k miles on quite a few hemis I’ve seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mizewilliamc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Also, you should try taking the blue long blue connector out of the bottom of your fuse box, the blue and orange wire is your fuel pump wire and there is a common problem with the circuit melting the connector causing your fuel pump to shut off intermittently. There’s a harness you can wire into your fuse box to bypass the printed circuit board in the fuse box or completely replace the fuse box (also called the TIPM), if that’s even the issue.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How old is the battery, check the voltage at the alt should be 14.5 vdc and load test the battery, flakey battery causes electrical problems every time and how are your connections at the battery, how is your ground cable?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The red lightning bolt is your charging system light. Sounds like a bad alternator to me. This tends to start happening around 100k miles on quite a few hemis I’ve seen

Nope the red lightning bolt is Electric Throttle Control