Throttle body swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinking of swapping out the stock 65mm throttle body off my 4.7l wanted to see if the stock 5.7l throttle body would fit the 08 up 4.7l is a 65mm throttle body with 4 bolts. The stock 5.7l throttle body I believe is 75mm throttle body with 4 bolts anybody try this swap yet?.. thinking if it dose bolt up I would have to port the plastic intake manifold to clear the throttle body butterfly which would be fairly easy to do. Biggest question is will it bolt up?

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don’t have headers and a tune I wouldn’t even waste the effort trying. And honestly, I don’t even think headers alone would be enough to take advantage of increased airflow. Higher flow TB’s are typically the next mod after a cam, ported heads and free flow exhaust. The risk of error codes and aggravation of porting the intake wouldn’t be worth it. And if Dodge thought the larger throttle body made sense on that engine it would have come with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have CAI exhaust and a tuner. Everything that I have found show the 4.7 dose good with bigger throttle body.. the 07 and older 4.7 came with 62mm throttle body the 08 newer came with 65mm throttle body and the difference between those two 4.7 is about 35 hp idk the exact # I do know the 08 newer dose have more hp. Everything I have found about bigger throttle body on the 4.7 show improvement off the line which is what I'm looking for top end is good for what I need.. could have better bottom end.. gears are next.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have CAI exhaust and a tuner. Everything that I have found show the 4.7 dose good with bigger throttle body.. the 07 and older 4.7 came with 62mm throttle body the 08 newer came with 65mm throttle body and the difference between those two 4.7 is about 35 hp idk the exact # I do know the 08 newer dose have more hp. Everything I have found about bigger throttle body on the 4.7 show improvement off the line which is what I'm looking for top end is good for what I need.. could have better bottom end.. gears are next.

CAI’s (or anything pre-Throttle body) are worthless on these trucks with stock engines. And a cat back exhaust alone (no headers) will never increase airflow to the point a stock throttle body will be a restriction. The biggest factor in restricted airflow in these engines is the heads. They are your limiting factor. You can do headers, no cats and a TB open to the air with no restriction, your heads and intake manifold is your choke point. You’d be much better off getting a Pedal Commander and not messing with the stock throttle body. You would see a real improvement with that vs trying to fit a larger throttle body on a stock engine.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thinking of swapping out the stock 65mm throttle body off my 4.7l wanted to see if the stock 5.7l throttle body would fit the 08 up 4.7l is a 65mm throttle body with 4 bolts. The stock 5.7l throttle body I believe is 75mm throttle body with 4 bolts anybody try this swap yet?.. thinking if it dose bolt up I would have to port the plastic intake manifold to clear the throttle body butterfly which would be fairly easy to do. Biggest question is will it bolt up?
5.7 TB is 80mm at the base.

"Below measurements are in inches"
TB sensor connection harness has 6-pins
(4) .320 diameter holes with a 4.44 BC diameter
(2) .242 dia dowel hole locators
(2) .224 dia dowel hole locators

IMG_20200918_170336.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Check with Matt at Moes a vendor on here,he used to carry ported late model 4.7 throttle bodies.I had one,along with a CAI /mandrel bent modded mid pipe and a Magnaflow hemi cat back dual exhaust.On the dyno,after 5 hours of dyno'ing it put down 244 at the tires,still wasn't great out of the hole,but above 3500rpm it would give stock Hemi's a good run,and if they were untuned,it'd pass them easily wide open.The horsepower gain was more in the 08+ head redesign not the throttle body so much.The motors gained a fair bit bit from the prior earlier 4.7's with the head redesign,but that also meant there's no off the shelf headers that'll fit them. Nick at AirRam used to have a blower kit for the earlier 4.7's,that supposedly would also work on the later 4.7's,but you'd have to do some research on that.The little engine loves nitrous though,i know of 1 later 4.7 that was running in the high 13's with a 100 shot of nitrous.Nitrous creates cylinder pressure ,which is torque,a small 75 shot won't hurt it,and it'll give you the tire spinning torque you're after

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Thanks for finding that link CJ. There's not much available off the shelf for the later 4.7,and it's actually a decent little engine.FCA should of stuck the 8 speed behind them,it would of offset the little engines lack of torque immensely and they would of had a good combination then.That was one of my ******* with the engine,they had absolutely no grunt under 3500,but above that they'd pull like gang busters for only 287 cubes

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks for finding that link CJ. There's not much available off the shelf for the later 4.7,and it's actually a decent little engine.FCA should of stuck the 8 speed behind them,it would of offset the little engines lack of torque immensely and they would of had a good combination then.That was one of my ******* with the engine,they had absolutely no grunt under 3500,but above that they'd pull like gang busters for only 287 cubes

According to a few news articles out of late 2012/early 2013 FCA, or at the time Chrysler Group LLC were planning it actually. It was going to be an option on both the 4.7L/5.7L, but i wonder why it never came to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk