Throttle lag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
What is the fix for throttle lag and the overall low speed sluggishness?

Since I have an extended warranty I can't go tuner and my 2 local RAM dealers said they will look for any tell tale signs.

I have a S&B CAI installed and a Mufflex sitting in the garage waiting for install.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Try resetting the computer is my best guess. Unhook the battery for 30 minutes

Tuner is the best answer though

Last edited:

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why no tuner? Bc of extended warranty? Tune it and if you have problems reset it to stock. I was told this by my dealership. 2 cents

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Why no tuner? Bc of extended warranty? Tune it and if you have problems reset it to stock. I was told this by my dealership. 2 cents

Hell, even some Chrysler dealers sell tuners.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A tuner is the only way to really get better throttle response from the drive by wire throttle system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What gears do you have? If you are running 3.55's, then stepping up to some OEM 4.10's will not void your warranty, and they will make a huge improvement in getting rid of some of that lag.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've complained about that in my truck too. With 3.92's. Even with the smaller stock tires. Feels like your driving around with the emergency brake partially on.
You get used to it though.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I got a tuner right away. The 20% throttle response Sean adds to the hemifever tunes makes a huge difference

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Isn't there a procedure that involves pushing the pedal to the floor slowly 3 times while the ignition is on but not running to reset the throttle response?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn't there a procedure that involves pushing the pedal to the floor slowly 3 times while the ignition is on but not running to reset the throttle response?

You don't reset the throttle response. That is the procedure to reset the oil change reminder.

OP
OP
Big Blue Hemi

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
What gears do you have? If you are running 3.55's, then stepping up to some OEM 4.10's will not void your warranty, and they will make a huge improvement in getting rid of some of that lag.

Not sure what gears I have. How can I determine? If I had to guess I'd say it has the 3.92 gears only because of the towing package.

Really want the tuner but the dealers absolutely put me on notice. They weren't real pleased that I added the dang CAI. ******!

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure what gears I have. How can I determine? If I had to guess I'd say it has the 3.92 gears only because of the towing package.

Really want the tuner but the dealers absolutely put me on notice. They weren't real pleased that I added the dang CAI. ******!

nah i have 3.55s and towing package and find a better dealer lol

mine loves my modded up truck, but they also know i don't bother with warranty if it was caused by something i added

also look on the build sheet or the sticker on your rear axle

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Why is this so subjective??
Some dealers say hell no while others sell the damn tuner and say it will NOT void your warranty.

Diablo says the dealer cannot detect a tune once returned to stock, others say they most certainly can.

Good God!!!! Which is it??

TJames

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

VIN Decoder - DodgeForum.com

Go to that link and punch in your VIN, will give you all the specifics on your vehicle. thats how i figured out my gear ratio :word:

EDIT: Look under the equipment tab for your gear ratio

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some dealers say hell no while others sell the damn tuner and say it will NOT void your warranty.

Diablo says the dealer cannot detect a tune once returned to stock, others say they most certainly can.

Haha there is no one answer. If the dealer can blame a failure on aftermarket equipment, they usually will and it will not be warranty. Wether it is a tuner, intake or tires. There is not one thing that can void the warranty though. It is just about saying that the part caused the failure. Some dealers prefer to take care of the customer though. I saw a supercharged viper get a differential rebuild and a new transmission under warranty before the told the guy no more.

OP
OP
Big Blue Hemi

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine

Exactly!
I don't have another dealer option. There are only 2 near me.

Vin Decoder says I have the 3.55 rear and 65RFE trans.

Last edited:

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Tuners do leave a digital footprint in that when a dealer looks at the time codes of when the tune was accessed/changed, they can "assume" that if it was after the factory or not during a scheduled appt, it was probably a tuner or some sort of aftermarket part. This is not a concrete identifier, but its a common sense part.

Tuners like Diablosport have a warranty approved tag on them, as well as most (if not all) tuners have a "return to stock" feature that will allow you to load up the tune that was originally on the vehicle when the tuner was initially hooked up. Most dealers say they do not care about this, and dont dig down far enough to check the time codes, so its most likely a wash. BUT!!!! As stated, if a dealer can avoid a warranty claim, and blame the malfunction on an aftermarket part, it could come up... and its just good business for them because it means more money in their pockets, not coming out.

Its a personal choice, and one that with enough reading, most people go into it having a good idea of what will happen in the event of any issue. But it all boils down to personal responsibility. There are risks with any modding, no matter if its before or after warranty runs out. Dont get into it, if you cant get yourself out.

Just my 2cents.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is some information that I got from a Service Manager that I know and trust. If you install a tuner, and a week later your windows won't roll up, no problem with a warranty claim. If a week later your transmission goes south as a result of the extra power associated with the tuner, you are probably going to have a problem. I think depending on the cost of the warranty claim the factory may or may not become involved in the claim process. They can, and often do, ask for the failed part and the computer so they can do a forensic exam on the computer to see if an tuner had been installed. If they do an forensic exam have no doubt----they will find that a tuner has been installed--no matter if you uninstalled the tune or not. IMHO--if you can afford a tuner you should be prepared to pay for any damage that maybe associated with adding the tuner. I agree, it is a question of personal responsibility. You can pay for the damage if there is no doubt that it was caused by the tuner or you can lie your ass off when asked about having a tuner or not. In the 4-5 years I have been on this site and other Ram sites I have not heard of anyone having to fight with the factory over a denied warranty because of a tuner and getting caught. This does not mean that it has never happened, however. Pay you money--take your chances
Jay