Time to replace my 2018 PW battery? Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Couldn’t tell you I live in Alberta freeezing a$$ cold yeah we got that

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Heat kills batteries. Cold preserves 'em. Either way, you got no power.

I use AGM for longer life in either.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
about 3 blocks from my place, there is a battery shop
they sell rebuilt batteries & the batteries no one pays attention to.

they have been at the same location for over 35 years.
when they first opened, they still rebuilt Generators, Alternators, Starters, etc. & you could buy the rebuild kits from them.
They no longer do that since the grand father retired :(

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
about 3 blocks from my place, there is a battery shop
they sell rebuilt batteries & the batteries no one pays attention to.

they have been at the same location for over 35 years.
when they first opened, they still rebuilt Generators, Alternators, Starters, etc. & you could buy the rebuild kits from them.
They no longer do that since the grand father retired :(

Is this them??

OP
OP
skydyver83

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks for all of the replies. A little research on my part with your suggestions showed the the Odyssey to be a bit pricey (not a deal breaker) but a little difficult to find in my area. I have a Walmart relatively close but two Costco's much closer so I'm leaning toward the Interstate brand.
I do have some questions regarding the Interstate Brand. Going back and forth between Costco and the Interstate website it seems Costco does not carry (or at least advertise) the top end Interstate but the next level down (about $180). Is this what all you Interstate folks are using? The other question I have is regarding replacement with a H8 (grp49) version best I can tell from published specs is that it's about an inch longer. It was mentioned that there was a divider in the tray that can be easily removed to accommodate the larger battery, the member (and thank you for the post) who posted had a 2015, is it the same for the 2018? Last question; although I am capable of swapping a battery out, having the service department at Costco doing it would be much more convenient and save me from having to return my old battery but will they install the H8 which is not the recommended (H7) on their site.
Thanks again for all the advice

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I posted the tray thing on my pw I just pulled on the divider and it came out. Don’t know about 2018 but 12 volts is 12 volts so no worries there.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Before you go see if you can remove it. I think it’s a battery tray from a diesel truck. If you do it yourself there’s no bs but maybe if you get them to do it maybe they won’t give you any grief hard to say.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The batteries in my ‘14 CTD needed replacing in ‘18, used Advanced Auto (25% if bought online pickup in store) was right around $400 at the time.
First cold snap right before thanksgiving in Chicago I had to jump start it. Walmart couldn’t be beat.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
In Canada, no one beats Costco Kirkland for quality and warranty. In the states, interstate and walmart lead.
That's what I use in San Diego. Costco's cheapest one. I've never brought one back for warranty replacement. We have AAA. They replace ours on warranty our 2005 Pilot for nothing anywhere. 3yr. no question asked. They test the charging system too. That being said Costco's got a great deal on AGM's too. If these Interstate's every die from Costco I might consider AGM's

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just something else to keep in mind. There are only a handful of companies that actually make car batteries. Walmart does not have their own battery manufacturing plant, neither does Autozone, NAPA, etc... That means they contract with those handful of companies to make private label batteries. A lot of times that is simply changing the color and stickers. This means that the higher dollar "name brand" battery may be exactly the same as the cheaper "house brand" version you buy at the big box stores. Not saying they are always exactly the same, but it wouldn't be unusual. The reason they are cheaper is because the battery company agrees to sell them cheaper because of the volume those big box stores agree to buy (buying in bulk is usually cheaper, right...). While we don't make batteries, the company I work for does the same basic thing. We sell some product lines to big box stores at a discounted price just because they make contracts to sell really high volumes, and that makes it worth reducing our profit margin some. For an example, let's say you start making a product that costs you $50 to make, you sell it for $100 and you sell 1,000 per year making a $50 profit on each one. That is $50 x 1,000 = $50,000 per year profit. Now a big box store approaches you with the proposal that they want to start selling that same product under their private label brand and want 10,000 per year. However they will only pay you $60, so now you are only making a $10 profit on each one. However, $10 x 10,000 = $100,000 per year. Even though your profit margin per item is way down, the volume they want means you will make double the total profit each year.

DRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say it was dead, what was the truck doing or not doing? I ask because I had what seemed to be a dead battery, but wasn’t. Battery acted as if low or dead, 1 single click when hitting start button, put a booster pack on and it started. Went and got a replacement battery, and it started right up….. till the next morning and again one single click.
Traced back to loose battery cable on the starter. Tightened up and no problems since. 2019 2500 6.4

mcv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
After installing 2 new AGM 80 amp-hr Walmart Everstarts in March of 23 I finally have a reliably starting vehicle and I'm starting to trust my truck. I paid around $170 each. I can't promise they are superior to other brands folks are recommending, but I have zero complaints after 9 months with the Everstarts

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My experience with car/truck/motorcycle batteries has been anything beyond 4 years actual in vehicle use = that battery is on borrowed time.

As several folks have offered, there simply are not that many vehicle manufacturers worldwide, and most have pretty similar if not identical warranties, so when i shop, I look for the best out the door price.

I have purchased Interstate batteries from Costco in the past, and definitely recommend them.

The previous auto battery i replaced (in a Dodge Magnum a handful of years ago) I went with a Walmart AGM, as it was only marginally (like $20) more expensive than the Lead-acid-bath Interstate from Costco.

This past February 2023, my ‘18 Ram 1500 oem battery (just over 5 years actual service) went from ”good”, to struggling to start and absolutely requiring replacement the same day.

With my ‘18 Ram this past February, I shopped fairly briefly for current pricing, and opted again for the Walmart AGM, which came in at $185 out the door, installed myself in the parking lot for instant core return - only need 1 size socket if i recall correctly. I also opted for the Walmart battery for the Nationwide availability, although you can find Costco in most major metros areas these days.

As others have offered, $180 ish for the AGM battery is fairly low for AGM battery offerings, some other branded options are $280ish…I found the Walmart AGM to be $40ish more than lead-acid-bath battery…..in my opinion, for that difference, I think the AGM is the better choice.

I have never been a fan of the Odyssey batteries, and don’t feel double+ the expense is worth it, AND, I am “not” running the Baja 1000 ;-) —> NOT to be confused with the yellow/red/blue top Optima batteries, which went to crap, in my humble opinion, when production moved to Mexico, and for double+ the AGM price, I tell people to avoid Optima…..

Best of Luck with your choice

mcv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I will add another perspective: Back in the old days before all these computer systems that will erratically turn on and off and can drain batteries:

My factory battery in my 2001 F350 (gas V10) lasted 12 years and 65,000 miles. Climate=Denver CO. However, on my other vehicles subject to offroading and more severe "bouncy" service in which vibrations can loosen lead oxide, or subject to many short trips I often get only 3-5 years of service. My F350 battery did have insulation blanket, was driven almost exclusively on highway, used primarily for longer hauls instead of short town trips. I kept my battery terminals clean and did run that truck a few times a month so it was never exposed to going entirely flat or sulphation. Yes, 12 years is an unusually long life from my experience, but back on the farm we did have many other seldom-used vehicles that would match that. Some batteries were easily 20 years old and still working reliably in old farm vehicles. Again, in my experience it was the number of cycles, vibrations, or poor maintenance that related to battery life, not chronological years prior to computerization. However, with all the systems now that cause intermittent or continued draw even when the ignition is off, I believe chronological age is much bigger factor.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
^^^ this
Odyssey 49-950 - 950CCA H8 AGM
About the highest capacity battery that will fit in these trucks and it's made in the USA
So, didn't I hop in my truck today and if was dang flat!
Heck, I just put in an H8 AGM Interstate...what, not 6 to 8 months ago...
F_M_L_.....

I couldn't be bothered with the nonsense with returns and warranty and ate the loss! So I went to the local Odyssey supplier this afternoon and picked up a new Odyssey 49-950 - 950CCA H8 AGM...... (dang you Crash68....lol).... You knew this was coming, didn't you.... ;)

I should have gone this route in the first dang place!!!!!!!!!!
Instead I spent $400CDN a short time ago on the Interstate H8 AGM just so it could fail....

Then spent $450CDN today to get a more superior battery! I should have eaten the core charge on the new battery and foiled the system with the Interstate for warranty exchange, and then sold it... but what's ones time worth, right!

I do have 2100W of amps in my truck, plus a high end Thinkware front & rear camera system as well..... big draws on my electrical indeed!

Bottom line.... just dump in the H8 AGM Odyssey and be dang well done with it!

(I could have fed my semi's with a lot of ammo if I just went Odyssey in the first place... my fault... but I learned!)