Tire choices- staying stock size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The Cooper AT3 are getting good reviews. I had the older version on my last truck and got good wear, low noise, and good snow traction. The newer design is supposed to be better. The AT3 XLT comes in an E rating.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
To the OP, I have had the General Grabber AT2's, which I believe are discontinued now, but were essentially the same as the ATX's. In my experience across 4 different trucks and anything from a C-rated 15" tire to E-rated 17" tires, those were amazing tires. Good on-road capabilities, not that noisy (but you knew it was an all-terrain tire, not an all-season), good in sand, snow, mud, etc. I never got stuck with those tires, even with 18" of snow on the ground.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Grabber ATX's.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The Cooper AT3 are getting good reviews. I had the older version on my last truck and got good wear, low noise, and good snow traction. The newer design is supposed to be better. The AT3 XLT comes in an E rating.

Just replaced the worn tires on a Jeep for a family member with some new 2 ply carcass Cooper AT3's. I'll stick with a heavier 3 ply carcass though on my Power Wagon.

Last edited:

mopareg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I run NITTO 285/60/r20 EXO GRAPPLERS :banana-mario:

Last edited:

Killface3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
The OEM Duratracs are pretty much half gone already on the PW (at 14000kms) so I know I will be tire shopping before too long. I have gone over dozens of threads and decided I wanted to make my own to keep all the info in one place. If I decided to stick with the Duratracs would going to an E rated tire make a difference? The duratracs I had on my other 2500 were e rated and lasted way longer, but I know that size is a determining factor too- so looking for anyone who tried this.

Another choice I had considered was the General Grabber ATX. Seem like a decent tire too. Any reviews on it? Bonus points for pictures on the PW [emoji16]

Availability around here is a big factor. Lots of awesome tires but the availability makes many cost prohibitive.

If anyone has some suggestions for a tire suited to deep snow, ice, -40° temps, rock, gravel, offroad, towing and pavement then I'm all ears! I have eliminated Toyos as they run nearly $600 a tire. The 3 peak symbol is a must as I travel to B.C. often during the winter.
Get the E rated Cooper. They are far superior to the General Grabber. The Grabber looks like a good tread pattern but wears quickly

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I think a set of these will get ya everywhere, except under a tree. Might need a ladder too, and a diesel to make them turn2006-dodge-ram-2500-megacab-diesel-show-truck-monster-sema-1.jpg

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Yup. My quote was $587.20 per tire installed. It was ridiculous. But that was the AT II AW, not the C/T. The C/T was WAY more reasonable but according to them was not available with the 3 peak symbol. Guess I should have looked it up first online [emoji1787]
I paid 1100 for mine installed. Come visit me in Texas and I will hook you up! Plus it’s 75 and sunny this week.

6B64D3FA-DAD3-42ED-ACD9-65531BC5290C.jpeg

563E34F0-B0D4-4E16-A4B0-F0F6EBEA7EDC.jpeg

2CD8AA78-EF9E-4D1B-ADD6-CFE711CC272A.jpeg

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
GM, great news about the spare! Looking forward to a review in the future.

Unfortunately, there's no snow in the forecast. I will let you know how they perform in the future.

Update: On successfully negotiating with the Discount Tire representative I ended up paying only $264 each Gross (total includes taxes, disposable fees, installation, balancing, mounting, and warranties) for five (5) new Toyo Open Country 35 12.50R17 C/T tires, in addition to having my old 34" old tire mounted and balanced on my Power Wagon's spare steel wheel for free. Just in case the new 35" 's didn't fit underneath. I saved over $500 by being dominant in the sale and not agreeing to his earlier quoted price.

Last edited:

Rob Rusanowsky

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
Hemi Baby
I went with the General Grabber ATX's......good aggressive tread and not too loud. Reasonable price on tirebuyer.com

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The Power Wagon stock tires are slightly larger in width than the Transforce HT. Also, a "diesel delete", it's not an option for the Power Wagon's gasoline engine.

Out of curiosity I wondered what the fines are for ever getting caught with the removed diesel emission equipment...

"(Last Updated On: October 1, 2020)

So, what is the fine for removing DPF filter? It depends on the specific case but it can run form a few thousand dollars to even millions. For example, a consumer truck owner found guilty of this offense will have to pay at least $2500 and up to $45,268 per truck. A larger company may be fined hundreds of thousands or even millions."

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The Goodyear Duratrac, Toyo Open Country C/T and R/T, Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, and the Hercules Terra Trac T/G Max are all on/off road Commercial Traction tires.

"Commercial Traction Tires
This style of off-road tire is developed for light trucks and commercial vehicles. Their tread blocks are heavier duty than all-terrain but with the same combination of circumferential and lateral grooves to provide traction on paved and unpaved surfaces. This is the tire you need on your full-size work truck, or any light truck delivering materials to the job site.

You'll see that On/Off-Road Commercial Traction tires have reinforced sidewalls that get them rated for heavy loads. While your commute may only require you to drive off-road a dozen yards or so, you may want the extra traction. You can also find this style with sipes (thinly cut slits) in the tread specifically for traction in heavy rain and snow."

https://www.tireamerica.com/resource/off-road-tires

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
GM, great news about the spare! Looking forward to a review in the future.

I just tow plowed 12" of fresh snow with the 35 inch Toyo C/T's on about 1/4 mile of my private dirt road. Quite happy to report that they performed excellent in deep snow at 16 degrees Fahrenheit. No slip or sliding. Quite sure footed.20201026_105828.jpg 20201026_104912.jpg 20201026_104844.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
what is the actual mounted on the truck height when parked on a flat surface? thanks.
34.76" unmounted. My AEV ProCal is set to 33.00". When I am doing the 75 MPH speed limit, it's 75.X MPH and under 76 MPH on my GPS. So 33" is dead on to the actual height.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
34.76" unmounted. My AEV ProCal is set to 33.00". When I am doing the 75 MPH speed limit, it's 75.X MPH and under 76 MPH on my GPS. So 33" is dead on to the actual height.
so they run a bit small like the AT series. I was hoping they would be height similar to the Toyo MT vs the AT's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca