Tire load range- C or D for 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking at new tires in a size around 35x12.5 R17 (so also 305/70/17 and 315/70/17). I have a ram 1500 and have no plans to tow anything heavier than a 12' uhaul trailer any time in the next several years. This truck will be my DD with a fair amount of highway miles. I keep going back and forth between a C rated tire and a D rated tire. Does anybody have any experience with the lighter load ranges as a DD in these trucks? Is there any reason to avoid a C rated tire?

My concern with going E rated is the harsher ride quality unless you lower the tire pressure and I had a set of cooper st maxx on my lifted 4runner with a 4.7 V8 that were E rated and I ran them around 40 PSI and they had some serious cupping from the low air pressure on the lighter vehicle like the gassers are. Wasnt bad shocks causing that cupping- shocks were bil 5100s installed at same time as tires

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Looking at new tires in a size around 35x12.5 R17 (so also 305/70/17 and 315/70/17). I have a ram 1500 and have no plans to tow anything heavier than a 12' uhaul trailer any time in the next several years. This truck will be my DD with a fair amount of highway miles. I keep going back and forth between a C rated tire and a D rated tire. Does anybody have any experience with the lighter load ranges as a DD in these trucks? Is there any reason to avoid a C rated tire?

My concern with going E rated is the harsher ride quality unless you lower the tire pressure and I had a set of cooper st maxx on my lifted 4runner with a 4.7 V8 that were E rated and I ran them around 40 PSI and they had some serious cupping from the low air pressure on the lighter vehicle like the gassers are. Wasnt bad shocks causing that cupping- shocks were bil 5100s installed at same time as tires
I run 285/70/r17E Nexen at 43 psi on my 1500 and have no complaints. Now my truck is came from the factory with E rated tires.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
unless you take the truck on rough off roads a XL rated tire is more than enough if your not towing heavy. The usual reason for going with a Load E tire on a 1500 is they'll put up with more abuse from rough/off roads.
You wouldn't want drive with a Load E tire at 65 or 80 psi when not towing. Mine are usually at 40 psi unless towing then it's 50 psi, truck came from the factory with E rated tires.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2500 came with E’s and the dealer didn’t adjust PSI from 80 lbs. That was an unpleasant ride home ..

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
unless you take the truck on rough off roads a XL rated tire is more than enough if your not towing heavy. The usual reason for going with a Load E tire on a 1500 is they'll put up with more abuse from rough/off roads.
You wouldn't want drive with a Load E tire at 65 or 80 psi when not towing. Mine are usually at 40 psi unless towing then it's 50 psi, truck came from the factory with E rated tires.
What E rated tires came stock? And why ? Thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
My Ridge grapplers are E rated and I have them at 37 front 35 back and they are wearing evenly ...

I wouldn't stay away from E rated on these trucks, yes it might be a little rougher ride but honestly it is tolerable enough to sacrifice ride over endurance on the tires ... I rather have a tire that is going to be able to take whatever kind of abuse .... go E rated and go with the RIDGE GRAPPLERS ! LOL

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What E rated tires came stock? And why ?
It came with Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor tires as a part of the Outdoorsman package (265/70/17"). That was the AT tire Ram was using for that size, if I remember correctly the Rebel trucks also came with a Toyo Load E tire.
The pressure rating on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum inflation pressure, not what you have to run them to.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing wrong with lower load rating tires for DD highway use/light towing. I have P metrics on my 1500 (came on it used) and do mostly road driving except for when I go to camp. My camp is on dirt roads and doesnt require rock crawling lol. I also tow my ATV and pop-up camper without issue. Higher load range tires are heavier and more durable to punctures. I'm looking at D load range for my wheel/tire package because that's what the tires I want come in.