Tire size change and computer adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 ram express. I upgraded my tires to 35" from the 33s that were stock. I have a Matco MaxMe tablet to change the tire size for the speedometer. I see that the computer requires the figure in mm for circumference. I believe the 35" tires are 2791mm circumference. However, when I set the computer to that size, my speed is still off. When I set the cruise to 60, my GPS says I'm doing 57. I tried going back to the stock size setting, set the cruise to 60, my GPS speed is 62-63. I can't find any other setting that the computer will accept. My steering would also not work properly, studdering and stiff. I get 4 wheel drive temp not avail. I don't know how to reset the BCM or TCM. I have DTC codes (00,03,d4,12), P1614-00. I was also getting P1DB6-00, P215C-00. I think the only one now it P1614. My check engine light was on for a while. I got it turned off but still have the 1614 code. Sometimes the light would come back on after a restart. I did get it to stay off.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need to get the actual measurement of your tire height and convert to mm or find rotations per mile of your tire and convert that to mm

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Need to get the actual measurement of your tire height and convert to mm or find rotations per mile of your tire and convert that to mm

I think I changed the mm between 34-37 dia tires one by one...

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UPDATE... Well I found that I was missing a step in this process. I did not go back through and initialize the ABS ECU after I made the changes. I went to the company that I bought the tires from, they said the tires are 34.8" dia. So I went back in the BCM, made the changes. Went back to the ABS and re-initialize. Test drive... speedo still off. Went back to tire size, I ended up setting the computer to 33.5" and my speedo is NOW correct. I don't understand why I had to go to 33.5 not 34.8. Doesn't make sense. Next question... I had also changed my gears from stock 3.21s to 3.55s. It's my understanding that rear gears DO NOT effect the ECM in judging speed. My Matco MaxMe doesn't even give me an option to adjust gearing. I know the HPtuners will. Not sure if that will be my final correction. I will post back after my drive to work tomorrow to see how it's shifting. That is my next test. So far it seems proper...

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE... Well I found that I was missing a step in this process. I did not go back through and initialize the ABS ECU after I made the changes. I went to the company that I bought the tires from, they said the tires are 34.8" dia. So I went back in the BCM, made the changes. Went back to the ABS and re-initialize. Test drive... speedo still off. Went back to tire size, I ended up setting the computer to 33.5" and my speedo is NOW correct. I don't understand why I had to go to 33.5 not 34.8. Doesn't make sense. Next question... I had also changed my gears from stock 3.21s to 3.55s. It's my understanding that rear gears DO NOT effect the ECM in judging speed. My Matco MaxMe doesn't even give me an option to adjust gearing. I know the HPtuners will. Not sure if that will be my final correction. I will post back after my drive to work tomorrow to see how it's shifting. That is my next test. So far it seems proper...
My tires measure 35.1 per manufacturers spec but I had to set to 34.1” to get my speedo proper