Tire Size prevents tire chain installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnLoves2Ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 Laramie with 3.55 axle ratios, and factory sized P275/60/R20 tires. I cannot put tire chains on these (per the factory - no clearance) I do spend a bit of time in the snow, and although I have never needed chains, it would be nice to be able to put on cable chains if the need ever did arise. Has anyone put on narrower tires to allow for cable chain installation? (and spaced them out a bit so the outer sidewall remains in the same place)
What size did you go with?
Did it require new wheels?
Any 'gotchas' that I should know about?

ALSO - I see that my spare is a 17". If I do get new wheels, should I stay at 20", or go with 17's? (why?)

Thanks in advance!

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t think that cable chains take as much room as standard chains. I’d be surprised if they wouldn’t work if you needed them.
I’ve never liked the limited run spare tires. The first thing I did was order a steel 20” rim and put a real spare tire on.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I’ve got chains for the 35x 12.5x 20’s I have and they fit just right. Granted, it is lifted.

Might be something to think about if you have to use chains is a slight lift.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"ALSO - I see that my spare is a 17". If I do get new wheels, should I stay at 20", or go with 17's? (why?)"

The spare is a limited use spare that is sized between the stock 17 and 20 inch tire sizes.
If you want a full spare you have 2 choices - a 20 spare wheel and tire or use your spare 17 and replace the tire with a 285/70/17 new tire.
The 17" spare wheel is narrow and it will take the 285/70/17 tire but the handling will be sub par vs. a 20" setup - however if just used as a spare it works perfectly. I put a 285/70/17 E-load tire on my spare aluminum wheel as a spare, this way if I blow a tire while loaded it is just a swap with no worries about load capacity.

A new 285/70/17 tire is a perfect match to a used 275/60/20 as far as diameter (same height on both)- and most tires that fail are used.

zrock

Reaction score
Their should be no reason you cannot run tire chains other than finding them in the width you need.. Only need about 2" of clearance for properly installed tire chains. Stay away from cable chains as they are useless. I live in the north and have yet to need tire chains' with a 4x4 veh most of the time i run around in 2wd... Good tires beats chains every time

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
No matter how wide a tire you are not going to get flotation in snow or mud. My 1996 2500 I ran 235-85-16s. Narrow and tall, chains fit fine. My new 2500 truck has 275-70-18, slightly wider and 2" taller than the 235-85-16s. Chains still fit fine. If I were you, for your 1500, I would buy a set of the take off 17 or 18" Rims and put on a set of tires no more than 31" tall and no wider than 255 for winter use.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I dont prefer 20's, I like the sidewall look and function but go with what you want. Another option dare I say, two sets of tires and rims. One with studs, one w/o. Might be a bit of an investment, but both sets will last longer and it will save you from using chains that might cause damage.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing replaces chains for deep snow work, nothing. Chains on all fours will make a truck damn near unstoppable. For on road normal driving they are pretty rough. I run two sets of wheel/tire combos. Summer and winter set ups. Looking at chains for my new to me ram now. Clearance is a definite issue. ****** me off the engineers seem to be city dwellers who don’t understand the usage of a truck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Never needed chains out here. Then again, I never go off road and we get way more ice than snow. Studded Hakkapelliita grip incredibly well on black ice!
View attachment 502529
View attachment 502530
Those really are great tires for your use. Ran a set year round on my wife's 4Runner with no studs. Do not recall ever needing chains on pavement either. The Duratracs do just fine in the Rams. Off road however, chains make a big difference.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I only ever chain up the back though. Front would hit chains unless I lift the truck.

Last edited:

zrock

Reaction score
Nothing replaces chains for deep snow work, nothing. Chains on all fours will make a truck damn near unstoppable. For on road normal driving they are pretty rough. I run two sets of wheel/tire combos. Summer and winter set ups. Looking at chains for my new to me ram now. Clearance is a definite issue. ****** me off the engineers seem to be city dwellers who don’t understand the usage of a truck.
I have pushed snow over the hood of my truck without chains, only place i have ever run into a spot where i could have used the help of chains is climbing a steep ice covered mountain road. Still made it up and down just took a little more work. Living in the north i have never seen anyone run tire chains on the highway. But those of us in the north know how to prepare for winter with good tires

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have pushed snow over the hood of my truck without chains, only place i have ever run into a spot where i could have used the help of chains is climbing a steep ice covered mountain road. Still made it up and down just took a little more work. Living in the north i have never seen anyone run tire chains on the highway. But those of us in the north know how to prepare for winter with good tires
Cool story bro.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never needed chains out here. Then again, I never go off road and we get way more ice than snow. Studded Hakkapelliita grip incredibly well on black ice!
View attachment 502529
View attachment 502530
That is what I have been running in the winter for last 3 yrs or so, 20 in in summer, and 17's hi profile on mags the height is the same so every thing stays in tune. Being a old guy, I can't abide black steel wheels anymore. They are fine on a 2000.oo work truck.
Ice on the roads or streets are the problem here, snow is not a big deal here as a rule.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I'gve run studded snow tires all my life in the winter the Nokian tires are the best studded snow tires I have run.
However, anyone that claims to be able to out do a similar vehicle with chains without I'd have to see that.
I have run chains on plow trucks and tractors for many years I also find it disgusting that the p-- poor engineers didn't allow for chains on these modern trucks.
I have looked at some of the automatic chains but you don't find much for 1/2 tonners.
I have had my studded tires not make my driveway before, packed snow or ice under wet snow, and once while it was still raining on top of ice. Had to back down with my chained up Chevy with a load of sand in the sander for the Dodge to get the rest of the way up. I'll admit that I couldn't walk on the driveway either that day had to get in the ditch and stomp down into the snow still left.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'gve run studded snow tires all my life in the winter the Nokian tires are the best studded snow tires I have run.
However, anyone that claims to be able to out do a similar vehicle with chains without I'd have to see that.
I have run chains on plow trucks and tractors for many years I also find it disgusting that the p-- poor engineers didn't allow for chains on these modern trucks.
I have looked at some of the automatic chains but you don't find much for 1/2 tonners.
I have had my studded tires not make my driveway before, packed snow or ice under wet snow, and once while it was still raining on top of ice. Had to back down with my chained up Chevy with a load of sand in the sander for the Dodge to get the rest of the way up. I'll admit that I couldn't walk on the driveway either that day had to get in the ditch and stomp down into the snow still left.
Yup, you don't usually need chains if you have good tires, but when you need them they're nice to have.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Look up snow spikes, I had them on my heep, they really only make sense if you don't have to take them off and on all the time.

My father had me removing studs from his worn snow tires with a pair of diagonal pliers back in the late sixties. Also had to do mothers snow tires. I was about 8 or 9 on up till high school. Then studs were out lawed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My father had me removing studs from his worn snow tires with a pair of diagonal pliers back in the late sixties. Also had to do mothers snow tires. I was about 8 or 9 on up till high school. Then studs were out lawed.
Brings back memories of studding dirt bike tires to go ice racing,lol