Tire suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So I came to the conclusion that when my Power Wagon arrives, I will be sending it to our upfitter for 35" tires. Not just for the cool factor, but because it will see a fair amount of beach driving, and a 35x12.5 will theoretically perform better in the sand than the stock Goodyears. The problem is, I am very picky with my tires and can't really find a set that I like. Here are my criteria:

1) Doesn't matter to me A/T or M/T, i don't buy in to "M/T tires don't perform on the sand." Plenty of evidence to the contrary.
2) I strongly prefer OWL tires, especially in that size on a 17" rim. I just think they look better with all that side wall.
3) Need to be at least E load tires since AEV ProCal doesn't currently support 2018MY and they need to be aired up to 60ish
4) I strongly do not like the "square tire" look that some off-road tires in this size give off, if that makes any sense

Outside of that, I have to "like" the tread pattern (which I know is a harder thing to comply with lol). To that point, I do NOT like the BFG KO2s, and won't be swayed to them. I know they're a great tire and everyone swears by them, I just can't stand how they look and will never get past that. I was originally going to just get the same Duratracs in a 35" size, but for some reason those tires aren't OWL in a 35" tire, only in the stock PW size (which doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, but whatever). So I then started looking at the BFG KM2 mud terrains, which ARE an OWL tire, but they're only D load up to 50 PSI, so they're out. Cost isn't really an issue, I'll pay what they cost, and I get supplier discount, but i scanned tirerack and discounttiredirect and didn't really see much. I'll give up the OWL requirement if i really have to, which will just send me back to the Duratracs unless i find something better.

what do you guys have/recommend? pics on the current Power Wagon rims would be a bonus.

Thread is cross posted in the PW forum as well.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm perfectly happy with my Nitto M/T's and I live in the sand!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m a cooper fan.
Not a fan of
BFG”s for the 3/4
Ton

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like the BFG's but I've also run Toyo tires. Their R/T hybrid (part AT/part MT) might be a good one to look at.

Good luck with your tire search.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I checked out a 315/70/17 today, and lo and behold, i believe i have found a winner! Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ in a 315/70/17. Seems to satisfy all of my requirements (OWL, aggressive look, not overly aggressive, E load rating), and we have upfitted Jeeps at my dealership with that tire in that size i was able to look at today.

Truck should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, then the fun begins!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Can’t wait to see it

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Lol. You should find a way to come up my way with Jimi and family before Carlisle.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’m not opposed to it, I’ve had a lot of things going on recently that I won’t derail the thread with. But I do have a garage full of toys waiting to go on this monster when it arrives.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Of course I could come down that way lol. However you are always welcome to do whatever is needed in my garage

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You should come down one Sunday and play in my garage. It has about 20 bays with lifts in it. Hehe

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Lol yea your work garage is nice compared to mine. But mine has beer

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart