Tires for a stock 3500 srw 6.4 and few other things....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Since it looks like I'm keeping this truck for awhile (can't swap out to another for around $490/month like I'm currently paying) I think it's time, to do some more cosmetics (tradesmen crew cab 3500 srw with the chrome package) looking at getting rid of the transjunks as I'm at 21k and nearing on the wear bars, I've got some bonus money and unused vacation money coming in, so I'm deciding between going down to a 17" rim off discount tire with either fierce attitude mt's (285/65/17 aka power wagon size) or the Kanati trail hogs in the same power wagon size or going to 35/12.5/17, or going and staying with 18" and staying stock 275/70/18 or maybe 35/12.5 or any other suggestions staying reasonably priced please. Lol. And thinking of putting a light bar between the tow hooks. And a couple pods under the rear bumper for backing up in the middle of nowhere. And to **** off idiots behind me with high beams on. Then depending on cost/funds get the rear bumper and front matted black and the chrome grill painted white. Any other thoughts on cheap mods to add some appearance to the truck? Here it is currently

bc931bb05142ed29e3c13d2cd5d0e02b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
295/70/18
285/75/18
305/70/18
Are all good sizes to run

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What about in a 17" combo. Just for curiosity (I can do 17" in 285/70/17 for $300 cheaper then 18" in 275/70/18)

Last edited:

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm running Trail Hogs now. I've got about 500 miles on them so far and so far I'm happy with them.

I don't know how often you tow or haul, but keep in mind the load ratings for the tires. For the trail hogs at least, the size you mentioned is 2 load indexes below what a 2500 comes with, not sure on a 3500. Besides the obvious lower load capacity, you may also have difficulty finding someone who will install them for you. I found it impossible to get someone to order and install a 124 load index tire on my 2500.

Double check the load ratings on the wheels too. Most 17s that I've seen end up with lower load ratings than 18s.

As to the bumpers, not sure if you've thought of it yet, but a friend of mine had the bumpers on his Tundra wrapped in matte black vinyl for a couple hundred bucks. Very cost effective and seems to be holding up well.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm running Trail Hogs now. I've got about 500 miles on them so far and so far I'm happy with them.

I don't know how often you tow or haul, but keep in mind the load ratings for the tires. For the trail hogs at least, the size you mentioned is 2 load indexes below what a 2500 comes with, not sure on a 3500. Besides the obvious lower load capacity, you may also have difficulty finding someone who will install them for you. I found it impossible to get someone to order and install a 124 load index tire on my 2500.

Double check the load ratings on the wheels too. Most 17s that I've seen end up with lower load ratings than 18s.

As to the bumpers, not sure if you've thought of it yet, but a friend of mine had the bumpers on his Tundra wrapped in matte black vinyl for a couple hundred bucks. Very cost effective and seems to be holding up well.
I had no issues with putting load range d tires on my truck so it may vary by area. If you look at the capacity they aren't much lower than the tires that came on the truck and still have a capacity 2k more than the 10k gvwr of my 2500.
To the OP there is no issue dropping down to 17" rims especially if it saves you $300 go for it. I did it just so I could use the power wagon rims.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

To be honest, I don't need a 3500, it's just what the dealer had, a 2500 is enough for me, the most the truck will see is either a snowmobile in the bed and a trailer on hitch (about 1500 pound tongue weight and 500 in sled) or if I'm hooked to my dads trailer, about 2000-2200 in tongue weight. So that's why load range d won't bother me, now if I was pulling a 5th wheel 35' TT that would be a different story. And being I'm pulling in the winter and daily driving in the summer only. Is another reason I want tires with an aggressive tread, lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca