Tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
To probably ask a question for the millionth time if I had to guess, but, here we go anyways... [emoji23]

2016 3500 ccsb diesel 4x4 18” stock steelies

Use the truck mostly in the winter (sits now in the summer being I finally picked up a 4cyl for work) but the stock transjunk at’s are getting down on rubber at 31k, do a good amount of driving in snowy conditions (snowmobiler that has to hunt the snow) so contemplating the new discoverer at3 xlt, havent heard many reviews on these yet thou. They are at the top of what I have to work with for money right now, so any other suggestions for a decent/good tire would be appreciated! Also if there is a different size that works with a stock ride height hd with step bars and rubber ram mud flaps that won’t rub badly and priced close/same as the 275/70/18’s l
Please let me know.

Here’s an idea of what I pull (black trailer loaded with sleds, gear, parts, etc, is about 6-7k, the silver/red is about 8-9k fully loaded)
e3a574d37d1f2614f36cbc4dc9c3bb31.jpg
73aa3765262c7fea711440ab75ac43f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dont have any details on that tire but I suggest looking at the STT Pros from Cooper. They were amazing in the snow and offroad plus will last you 50-60k miles and ride quiet on the road.

Reactions: SyN

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i love coopers. ran em for years, they are quiet, mildly aggressive tread pattern, and for me they were stellar in the snow. im originally from ohio and know what real snow can be like, but here in washington its a different story- not because the snow is different, because the way DOT handles it is. last time i had to drive in real snow here was a couple of years ago during the snowpocalypse (lol). i was in my 01 1500 laramie that had the coopers on it, and never once had to lock it into 4 wheel.

alas it's been a while since i had to replace the truck shoes... seems like every time i get close to oil change time, i trade trucks haha. but i may just swap out these garbage firestones sooner rather than later on the new 2500 just to be ready for winter trailering.

get the discoverers.

Reactions: SyN

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Don’t go too much “over sized” without re-gearing. You will ruin the Way the truck drive. I don’t care if it’s a diesel, it doesn’t matter. it’s still drastically changes the truck when you go up in tire hight.

Going up like 1 inch in height is not as big a deal but going from stock 33’s to 35’s you’re going to notice a big difference when towing and even when daily driving.

Some people don’t think you need to re-gear a diesel when you go up in tire size.

JMO

But that s bunch of hogwash.

Really consider your tire size before you get them. With my 6.4 hemi I went from the stock 33’s to 35s. My gearing was 373‘s. The 35s KILLED The drivability of the truck. I now have 488’s and the truck basically drives itself now. Its perfect.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Here you go sir. This website will help you figure out the tire size you want. They also have basically all of the popular tire choices.

https://tiresize.com/chart/

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Copper STT Pros on my 14 megacab, while I love them in fresh snow, they are a mud terrain with big lugs and little siping and like to slide a bit on hard packed snow.

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have the Copper STT Pros on my 14 megacab, while I love them in fresh snow, they are a mud terrain with big lugs and little siping and like to slide a bit on hard packed snow.

Can’t be no worse then these stockers... I see snow and in 2wd the rear was trying to pass the front of my truck or click her over to 4wd and have a chance to get going decently [emoji23]

I had the original discoverer at3’s on my Chevy 3500 and they did nice in the snow. But soon after I got those tires I swapped out to my first ram (the one in my profile pic) so I never got a good read on the wear

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My wife and father in law have had the toyo open country a/t, as well as the cooper AT3’s on a Ford Explorer and an F-150. Both are absolutely excellent in moderate amounts of snow ( id say 6” max, after that you’ll start noticing more performance out of the mud terrain in really deep snow) and on icy roads for an A/T. Most all of the big namebrand all-terrain tires are going to do very well on snowy roads and ice.

If you want excellent ice traction you obviously need to get dedicated snow tires.

Every tire type has its weaknesses and strengths. If you’re not concerned about mud any time of the year A namebrand all-terrain will be perfect. I would honestly go with whichever one you think looks the coolest out of the popular choices.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
ive always like the BF Goodrich Ko2's. They last a long time and they are great in the snow.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My wife and father in law have had the toyo open country a/t, as well as the cooper AT3’s on a Ford Explorer and an F-150. Both are absolutely excellent in moderate amounts of snow ( id say 6” max, after that you’ll start noticing more performance out of the mud terrain in really deep snow) and on icy roads for an A/T. Most all of the big namebrand all-terrain tires are going to do very well on snowy roads and ice.

If you want excellent ice traction you obviously need to get dedicated snow tires.

Every tire type has its weaknesses and strengths. If you’re not concerned about mud any time of the year A namebrand all-terrain will be perfect. I would honestly go with whichever one you think looks the coolest out of the popular choices.

This is the most “off roading” I do [emoji23]
f226e27c054559dc715303b040ebcd2e.jpg

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Far as a dedicated winter/snow tire, I really don’t have a need, the local plows are out plowing pavement majority of the time, it’s the trek home at 2am from work (once I get back on 2nd later next month) is when I’m usually driving in snow, and the trips down the thruway to head to the Adirondack’s to go snowmobiling is when I’m driving in any decent snow, I’ve had at3’s before on a Chevy. And once day had to help a guy stuck in the snow (supervisor’s fathers house. And he had passed away. So I knew these kids were there to rob it being they were stuck in the driveway/ditch from trying to pull in... So it was either leave them and let them cause damage. Or get them out and make sure they were gone) and I was well into 2-3’ of snow with my truck and didn’t get stuck. And managed to pull out a broke gmc jimmy twice (yes. They got stuck almost instantly after I got them free, and the 2nd stuck. Was worse then the first)

But anyways. I’ve got 31k outta these useless rubbers, still have tread (around 7/32’s to 5/32’s) but they are going to be deadly this winter with some of the hills I have to go up and down daily, and pulling in the snow won’t be fun

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Far as a dedicated winter/snow tire, I really don’t have a need, the local plows are out plowing pavement majority of the time, it’s the trek home at 2am from work (once I get back on 2nd later next month) is when I’m usually driving in snow, and the trips down the thruway to head to the Adirondack’s to go snowmobiling is when I’m driving in any decent snow, I’ve had at3’s before on a Chevy. And once day had to help a guy stuck in the snow (supervisor’s fathers house. And he had passed away. So I knew these kids were there to rob it being they were stuck in the driveway/ditch from trying to pull in... So it was either leave them and let them cause damage. Or get them out and make sure they were gone) and I was well into 2-3’ of snow with my truck and didn’t get stuck. And managed to pull out a broke gmc jimmy twice (yes. They got stuck almost instantly after I got them free, and the 2nd stuck. Was worse then the first)

But anyways. I’ve got 31k outta these useless rubbers, still have tread (around 7/32’s to 5/32’s) but they are going to be deadly this winter with some of the hills I have to go up and down daily, and pulling in the snow won’t be fun

Sounds like you made up your mind on the at3's I would just go with what you have personal experience with. As for size I ran a 305/70/18 on my 1500 with a 2.5 inch level kit on a 0 offset wheel that only rubbed very very slightly on the plastic wheel liner at full tilt only going to the left. I wouldn't run a 35x12.5 on that wheel as I would think you would have major rubbing but you can look at a 285/70/18 or 295/70/18 as they will give you a little bit more height and not too much more width.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sounds like you made up your mind on the at3's I would just go with what you have personal experience with. As for size I ran a 305/70/18 on my 1500 with a 2.5 inch level kit on a 0 offset wheel that only rubbed very very slightly on the plastic wheel liner at full tilt only going to the left. I wouldn't run a 35x12.5 on that wheel as I would think you would have major rubbing but you can look at a 285/70/18 or 295/70/18 as they will give you a little bit more height and not too much more width.

I wouldn’t say my mind is set on them. I’m open to suggestions on what others have ran and had good luck with.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Since you specifically mentioned snow conditions....consider Kanati Trail Hogs (almost an exact copy of the snow-belt popular Goodyear Duratracas) they are snow rated (snowflake stamped) and unlike the 2 ply sidewalled Goodyears they have 3 ply sidewalls, plus they are priced way better than the Goodyears.
I live in the mtns at 7k feet and the Kanati`s have excelled in snow (deep/shallow) as well as the varied conditions found our local forrest roads/trails.
Had mine for 2 years now and still love them.
Wear is average but keep in mind any tire rated for snow (softer compound) is going to wear faster than a harder compound tire, plus the price allows you to replace them at a significantly lower price than Goodyears or Toyos, etc.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You sound like good candidate for a snowflake rated 4 season tire. I just ran through a set and got 46K out of a 50K rating and they were GREAT in all conditions. I planned to buy the same ones but they were discontinued so I went with something similar but with a 60K mileage rating. I got them at Les Schwab. The first set were Wild Country XTX, the new ones are made by Falken I believe.

I really like having the snowflake rating so they qualify as traction tires when heading over the mountains and something is required. I know you don't always "need" them but if you're in a wreck and traction tires/devices were required you could have a bit of a battle.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You sound like good candidate for a snowflake rated 4 season tire. I just ran through a set and got 46K out of a 50K rating and they were GREAT in all conditions. I planned to buy the same ones but they were discontinued so I went with something similar but with a 60K mileage rating. I got them at Les Schwab. The first set were Wild Country XTX, the new ones are made by Falken I believe.

I really like having the snowflake rating so they qualify as traction tires when heading over the mountains and something is required. I know you don't always "need" them but if you're in a wreck and traction tires/devices were required you could have a bit of a battle.

Def gotta really start looking around more and more, snow is starting to show its face here and there (still gonna be atleast a month before it’s accumulating, but still) if I had the money. I’d get a set of more winter oriented tires and put those on the stock steel wheels, and then get a set of something else that looks nice and put those on some aftermarket wheels or a set of ram aluminum wheels (I don’t need the “bro” stance [emoji23])

I had looked at a set of tires awhile back. I don’t know what happened. But I can’t find them on the few sites I’ve been looking. But was liking the “fierce attitude mt” I believe they were called

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
And I see why I couldn’t find them, over $300 a tire now for those... they went up a lot

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Starting to lean more towards those kanati trail hogs, sounds like they do very good in the snow. And are considerably cheaper then the discoverers

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something to consider and see if it helps... on ebay discount tire is offering $100 off purchase of $400 or more depending on the tires.

Sometimes you can break the purchases up to individual tires or two at a time for more savings.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Def gotta really start looking around more and more, snow is starting to show its face here and there (still gonna be atleast a month before it’s accumulating, but still) if I had the money. I’d get a set of more winter oriented tires and put those on the stock steel wheels, and then get a set of something else that looks nice and put those on some aftermarket wheels or a set of ram aluminum wheels (I don’t need the “bro” stance [emoji23])

I had looked at a set of tires awhile back. I don’t know what happened. But I can’t find them on the few sites I’ve been looking. But was liking the “fierce attitude mt” I believe they were called

The beauty of the 4 season tire is you don't need summer and winter tires. I did that a while back and it's a PITA. Storing them, changing them out, different wheels, buying everything initially, etc. 4 season tires is 50K miles of not caring what the weather does and you're ready.