To black out or long live chrome ?

Back out or not ?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seeing these blacked out Rams makes we want to ditch the chrome bad,,. Problem is idk how well the granite crystal will look backed out .

I’m thinking for night now just swap to honeycombs

Look up Granite Crystal RAM Night Edition:

CEBpJk6.jpg

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Personal opinion is that the grill surround should ALWAYS be body color ... Then the inserts can be black or chrome ... And the inserts, the bumpers, and the wheels should match ... Car design 101 ... Or just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Chrome is back whether you guys like it or not...

Thought about doing chrome hood stripes but reconsidered from the amount of accidents it’d cause.

8F1D67BF-CD72-4206-ACDE-FC38235E8C79.jpeg

ryan russell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seeing these blacked out Rams makes we want to ditch the chrome bad,,. Problem is idk how well the granite crystal will look backed out .

I’m thinking for night now just swap to honeycombs

Mine is the brilliant black and I had the bumpers wrapped to match... Looks killer

Slevin

Reaction score
(my opinion)
The problem is your wheels are blacked out and are a huge focal point on the truck. They should tie in with the rest of the accents on the body.
So if you keep the wheels, black out the chrome.
Or, get some wheels that are either all chrome or have a chrome outer ring.

I've used Plasti-Dip in the past for blacking out chrome. When applied correctly, it will last for years and is always easy to remove if you change your mind.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I going to give my sport grille a blackout this week. I say all or nothing. If you are doing all black rims you have to do the rest. If your rims have some shine to them you can go with shiny accents. Also some colours look better with black and some with chrome. I like the coloured trucks with chrome and the grey, white, charcoal and black trucks with blackout. With the amount of stock trucks around I would never say blackout trucks are too common as there are probably 50 chrome to every 1 black out there.
I would say 1 out of 10 of the black ones are honeycomb, so I feel like my black sport grill will be quite unique. I’ve only seen one in my town that has it done.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If your truck was black then definitely black it out, but you should color match imo.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
IMG_0347.jpg IMG_0346.jpg I'm in the same boat with my 13 Sport. I still have the chrome front slats in my grill and my wheels have black and chrome. I like the chrome accents as it adds to the look. I wouldn't chrome everything. On your truck, the black actually adds to the look of the gray more than the chrome does if you ask me. Add black to certain parts and color match the rest would be my thought for you. I'm looking for new wheels because my clear coat is peeling off of it in places and both of my front wheel center caps each have 1 bolt broken in the wheel and i'm just waiting for them to go flying off. I'm going back and forth between an all chrome or polished wheel to match my front grill or a mostly black wheel with ball milled chrome on it.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Come on you guys. Get with it. Get it all blacked out. Sooner the better!

Then I will be the only one with BLING going down the highway.....just the way I like it:)

BBJ0227

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was going to buy the one with color matched bumpers in this color. Saw this with chrome & bought it because the chrome sets it off. Thought about debadging the fenders & doors.
20161009_183640 (1).jpg

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for your valuable input, Just looking for suggestions because I can’t decide lol. I was leaning towards vinyl wrap but I have no experience with it.

Why do you want someone else decide what you have to live with. Maybe the best idea is to go nothing. You can't see the outside while driving it and most others on the road don't really give a damn what your truck looks like.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ignoring for the moment the actual preference for chrome over blacked-out, think about it: you already have chrome. And you are asking to cover that up with black. Not practical. Anything you cover it with will not last a few years. Road debris chips, UV light (more a prob for me in Hawaii than for you in Grey Sky Country, but still, summertime UV), washing, hand grabing - all of that will surely erode whatever blackening you put on it. Same thing if it were blacked out and you wanted to chrome it. Just not wise.
Of course I'm a keep-the-vehicle-for-15-years kinda guy. If you're a sell everytime Ram makes a new desing change, then yeah, paint it black.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Why do you want someone else decide what you have to live with. Maybe the best idea is to go nothing. You can't see the outside while driving it and most others on the road don't really give a damn what your truck looks like.

LOL!
That's what I thought when I mentioned I was thinking about getting a new-generation Ram 1500 and people told me it was the ugliest grill, Ever! (They are correct, btw.) After initially depressed over the ugly new Ram look, I thought what you said:

I'll be inside the truck. Where it is the most nicest truck of all the makes. So what if the outside/grill is ugly. Only other people have to look at it.