To black out or long live chrome ?

Back out or not ?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some chrome is nice so dont get rid of it all. I would get an Ebay ram rebel grille which would look good on your truck.

Chrome door handles is nice and subtle so leave that along with the bumpers.

Patrick Vaughan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew Cab 4x4 Blacked Out
Engine
HEMI 5.7L Sport
Truck looks good with the chrome-I'd leave as is but I love the blacked out look myself. I bought the blacked out matching bumpers for that reason though. IMG_E5136.JPG

Kylehobie16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's a really good looking truck the way it is. But, you're looking for change. I feel it! You're going to black it out. Maybe not this week, maybe not next, but you're going to do it. Here's how I would do it. Run a Craigslist/FB Marketplace/Letgo ad "for sale - Chrome grille and bumpers for late model RAM 1500". At the same time, run an ad in the same media for, "Wanted - factory black grille and bumpers for a late model RAM 1500". This way, the guy down the street who's looking to put a little chrome in his life will be able to swap with you. No cost side-grade the right way. No spray paint, decals or plasti-dip that will never look right anyway. Keep his number, so in three years, when you decide you need a little chrome change, call him up and see if he's looking to black out again.

Kyle388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the color matched bumpers on my 15 sport. It's the granite Chrystal so I went with the blacked out look minus the rims. Still trying to decide on that.

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I concur with Razzman on this. The blackout or "murdered out" phase is so overdone it's getting obnoxious and once you've seen one blacked out Ram, you've seen them all. I think the chrome gives it a nice contrast in my opinion. I had actually planned on getting black rims for my dark blue ram (the one you see as my profile picture) but realized that chrome would look so much better.

Wiggsy72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I won’t purchase anything chrome as it just doesn’t last like the old stuff from the 50’s did. That’s why I purchased a Sport. Get rid of the cheap chrome.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah that two tone really would make black not work. I think I'm barely getting away with it on my monotone Delmonico red. In your particular case though, I really like the chrome with the two tone.

Exactly and that's the problem, the chrome wheels play off the lower silver band well which then flows into the bumpers. I'm contemplating grabbing another set of these wheels and pulling the chrome clad covers off and having the chromed later if i can't find wheels i like. Who knows as it's a while out still.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly and that's the problem, the chrome wheels play off the lower silver band well which then flows into the bumpers. I'm contemplating grabbing another set of these wheels and pulling the chrome clad covers off and having the chromed later if i can't find wheels i like. Who knows as it's a while out still.

Yeah I looked at some two tone rams that I liked but was worried how my newly purchased SRT replicas would look on there, but you're right the way the lighter color on the lower part of the truck really makes that look impossible to pull off. You guys still have chromers out there? I had my front bumper re chromed on my 66 buick 3 year ago and I had to drive it to Cleveland which was about 5-6 hours away from me.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah I looked at some two tone rams that I liked but was worried how my newly purchased SRT replicas would look on there, but you're right the way the lighter color on the lower part of the truck really makes that look impossible to pull off. You guys still have chromers out there? I had my front bumper re chromed on my 66 buick 3 year ago and I had to drive it to Cleveland which was about 5-6 hours away from me.

Yeah got some of the best chrome shops in the country 45 minutes from me. The SF East Bay is a hot rodders mecca so there's lots of custom shops and such here.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah got some of the best chrome shops in the country 45 minutes from me. The SF East Bay is a hot rodders mecca so there's lots of custom shops and such here.

That's awesome! I've always known CA to be a hot rodder's type place but the reason I was told why NY didn't have any industrial chromers anymore was due to the cost to properly dispose of the materials after use. NY and CA tend to share some things in common in some of these regards but I'm glad to hear you guys still have stuff like that out there!

Kevin Pine

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not a fan of the blacked out look myself. With that said, it's your truck do what ever makes you happy. You are the one paying for it. Enjoy your truck.