To crate or to rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rings are shot. Got a shop quoting me about 8,000 for a crate motor and labor. 5,400 for the crate motor. Anyone think I should find another shop to hone cylinders and rebuild existing motor. I've recently done a lot of top end work on it.

Not sure if that would be a cheaper route. Or good companies with cheaper crates

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
wouldn't hurt to find out how much it will be to have the lower half rebuilt and compare that to what a crate motor costs. Factor in what the rebuild and crate motor warranties are.
If you get a better warranty with the crate motor it might be worth a couple extra $$ up front if anything goes south

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rebuilt top end short runner in the intake went out. Valve were ducking into the heads. So. Threw on new heads, push rods and rockers. Blow by is horrible. Starting to run down the outside of the air box and white smoke coming out where you add oil

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rebuilt top end short runner in the intake went out. Valve were ducking into the heads. So. Threw on new heads, push rods and rockers. Blow by is horrible. Starting to run down the outside of the air box and white smoke coming out where you add oil
My opinion I would Just take it out throw a set of rings and bearings in it re seal it up and drive it til it doesn't drive no more ahaha No need to put brand new crate engine in a truck with 210k that's why I rebuilt mine cost about $1300 but that's just me :)

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Personally I like the approach of taking your block, and knowing the quality of the work being done on it yourself. With a rebuild you'll have it properly line honed, can have the cylinders over-bored, have everything balanced, cleaned, and freshened up, and can do things like customize your compression ratios/deck heights etc. The downside is it does take more involvement, especially re-building/re-freshing the heads, but if you like to tinker it's a fun process and you know exactly what you're going to get. I just rebuilt mine completely and put a rotating assembly in the short block for about 4,500 with machining.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try it myself if I had the time. I like learning and it gives me a reason to buy new tools. Plus, I can always teach my son in the future once he's old enough. He's six and always helps me change oil and gets me tools I need

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I would try it myself if I had the time. I like learning and it gives me a reason to buy new tools. Plus, I can always teach my son in the future once he's old enough. He's six and always helps me change oil and gets me tools I need
Price out a rebuilt short block,i think even Ma Mopar has short blocks if you were inclined to go with a reman short block.