Tonneau Cover Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to be putting a tonneau cover on my 2500 in the near future. It will probably be a RetraxPro MX, the kind that rolls into a canister at the front of the bed. That canister has drain tubes at each end by the front corners of the truck bed, and the directions show running the tube through existing drain holes. I have a spray-in liner and there are two openings with plugs that could be used but they are both covered with the liner material. Plug #1 feels like soft rubber when I push on it, and #2 feels like hard plastic. Any suggestions as to which one would be better to use? #2 would probably need me to drill a hole for the drain tube, #1 seems like I might just be able to pop it out.

Attachments

• KIMG0544.JPG
    KIMG0544.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 11

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my Warlock, I was able to jam the drain tubes into the holes created by the cargo loop tie-down on either side. It was a close fit and installing it during January of '22, I had to warm up the tube with hot water first, then it fits in with ease.

I've been out driving in the rain that was so intense, I actually reduced speed significantly. If my drains weren't working well, the canister would have backed up and overflowed. I've played this game before and have experience filling the canister. :cool:

It seems to me that mine are a bit higher off the floor than yours but it might be worth a try.
I know I was happy to not make any holes in the floor and with my Tundra, the drains were run through the plugs on the back wall of the box.

Sometimes the drains would be impaired by cargo pushing on them. Using the cargo loop holes seems to work better but I've only had this setup for about 17 months now. :cool:

canister drain.jpg

canister drain close.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On my Warlock, I was able to jam the drain tubes into the holes created by the cargo loop tie-down on either side. It was a close fit and installing it during January of '22, I had to warm up the tube with hot water first, then it fits in with ease.

I've been out driving in the rain that was so intense, I actually reduced speed significantly. If my drains weren't working well, the canister would have backed up and overflowed. I've played this game before and have experience filling the canister. :cool:

It seems to me that mine are a bit higher off the floor than yours but it might be worth a try.
I know I was happy to not make any holes in the floor and with my Tundra, the drains were run through the plugs on the back wall of the box.

Sometimes the drains would be impaired by cargo pushing on them. Using the cargo loop holes seems to work better but I've only had this setup for about 17 months now. :cool:

I'll see if I can grab a pic if the bugs aren't too annoying in the barn.

I have a Retrax and put my drain tubes where RamDiver did :waytogo:
Doh! I didn't even think of that. I just went and looked and it appears there should be plenty of space for the tube. Thanks, much better than drilling a hole.

How do you guys like the Retrax cover? I'm a bit leery of pulling the trigger on $2000, but I need one that is out of the way when it's open, and is lockable. How waterproof is it? I know there is no such thing as completely waterproof.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doh! I didn't even think of that. I just went and looked and it appears there should be plenty of space for the tube. Thanks, much better than drilling a hole.

How do you guys like the Retrax cover? I'm a bit leery of pulling the trigger on $2000, but I need one that is out of the way when it's open, and is lockable. How waterproof is it? I know there is no such thing as completely waterproof.

I'm not familiar with the Retrax but have been using Roll N Lock since 2008 and am now on my second truck using this system. I hunted around and found one for about $1650 Canadastan so what's that in US $, maybe $1200? :cool:

OOPs, OK. $1750 US now. I bought my cover in January '22 and I'm sure I saw about $1250US, at that time. This turbo inflation sucks.

PS: adding drain pic to the above post soon. Drain pics are now up in post #2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm not familiar with the Retrax but have been using Roll N Lock since 2008 and am now on my second truck. I hunted around and found one for about $1650 Canadastan so what that in US $, maybe $1200. :cool:

OOPs, OK. $1750 US now. I bought my cover in January '22 and I'm sure I saw about $1250US, at that time. This turbo inflation sucks.

PS: adding drain pic to the above post soon. Drain pics are now up in post #2.
Thank you for the link. Looking through their models, the only one that will fit my 8' bed is the vinyl over aluminum "M Series". I would want all aluminum.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Later this summer, when the bugs get more tolerable, I might investigate obtaining longer drain tubes and see if I can get them completely outside of the box via the cargo loop holes.

I recall testing the canister drain action with a garden hose last summer and it worked very effectively.

And, I might see about having Krown sprayed in there too.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the link. Looking through their models, the only one that will fit my 8' bed is the vinyl over aluminum "M Series". I would want all aluminum.

If you park outside for extended periods, all aluminum might be best. I'd guess snow and ice aren't a big concern in your area. :gr_grin:

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you park outside for extended periods, all aluminum might be best. I'd guess snow and ice aren't a big concern in your area. :gr_grin:

I haven't had a vehicle in my life that was not parked outside 24/7/365. Ice is common here, a few inches of snow a few times each winter. And each year we get a week of zero degrees, this past February it got down to 10 below (-23 C) for a couple days.