Too much light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm definitely going from the light bar to (4) 7" round lights. Was wondering what to do with the bar, other than selling it... So (without laughing) what do you guys think about this setup? Too much, just right, or not enough?
41db5c2539645c3b95f983f66f21c2b1.jpgd3bc7378e32d5a8edd0a61fb7b8739d4.jpg

Obviously not to scale, and I suck at editing lol. (Did this on my phone)

IMO

Last edited:

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would say that if they put out different patterns you would be ok. If you are just flooding the same area with more light than you need, you start to blind yourself.

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Without Octanes that truck is S**T anyway. So the lights do not matter. My opinion, keep the light bar too for straight on lighting. And use the round lights on the edge to face out a bit and the two lights in the middle to a different angle. Upwards more than your light bar is now.
Do you head out to Glamis a lot? Where do you need so much light?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I ran 4 6" KC's on my Tacoma outside were floods and inside were spots. They were so bright and looked good to, if I get another PreRunner bar I'll put 3 9" KC's in there and pull the light bars off the roof and bumper. I say go for it, but go for the halogen over the LED, I still see the old school out doing the new school.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Without Octanes that truck is S**T anyway. So the lights do not matter. My opinion, keep the light bar too for straight on lighting. And use the round lights on the edge to face out a bit and the two lights in the middle to a different angle. Upwards more than your light bar is now.
Never been to glamis, and I don't "need" so much light lol.. The light bar alone is plenty. I just don't really like the look of the light bar as much as the round lights.

But since I already have the bar.....

I off road tons back at home, especially during hunting season.. Out here, I've only been on one trail. I'm about having everything ready before I start venturing off to the good stuff.

IMO

Last edited:

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Wait!!! What?!?!? I thought he HAD Octanes??? You know, for the shows.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I ran 4 6" KC's on my Tacoma outside were floods and inside were spots. They were so bright and looked good to, if I get another PreRunner bar I'll put 3 9" KC's in there and pull the light bars off the roof and bumper. I say go for it, but go for the halogen over the LED, I still see the old school out doing the new school.
Really? Halogen over led? I was a led hater for the longest time and just recently got the bar.. I was blown away with the results. I even went from a halogen shop light to led in my garage..

I wish you were right because $$$.. I just have a hard time believing that.

IMO

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Really? Halogen over led? I was a led hater for the longest time and just recently got the bar.. I was blown away with the results. I even went from a halogen shop light to led in my garage..

I wish you were right because $$$.. I just have a hard time believing that.

IMO
My KC halogens would reach out more than the LED, I'm only speaking for the bars of coarse, I don't have real world experience with the round LED lights.

Sent From The Automotive Proof S5

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My KC halogens would reach out more than the LED, I'm only speaking for the bars of coarse, I don't have real world experience with the round LED lights.

I want to believe you... Maybe someone else can confirm before the rep gets back to me.

IMO

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I want to believe you... Maybe someone else can confirm before the rep gets back to me.

IMO
Lol, I don't expect people to believe me... this is the interweb. I was merely giving a testament of what I've experienced.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I was an LED hater too. they put out great light, are cool and use WAY less power. They also seem to be getting better and better as time goes by. I can't see myself going back to incandescent unless there's some earth-shattering development.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would save so much money with halogen lol... Silverstreak, I wonder what you were comparing it to? Was it like a short, cheap, ebay bar, or something worthy of challenge?

IMO

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
A man can never have too much lighting. I have a similar setup. A 24" visionx xpr and 2 visionx 4.5 light cannons. Ordering two more light cannons later to bring me at a grand total of four.

I have noticed people mentioning halogen lighting and LED. I have owned KC halogen lights and rigid duallys. I have a comparison review on this forum. The LEDs perform better and don't put out such a yellow light. LED lighting hands down. Halogen lighting, in my opinion, is dead.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
^ I will absolutely post the 24" XPR and the two 4.5" light cannons by the end of next week.

Only problem, the iPhone 6 only really captures like 75% of the light output. But, I will of course do my best :)

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think just the four round lights would look really cool. My opinion is I don't know the round lights and the light bar would clash too much.

As far as LED vs Halogen...on my last vehicle I had 4 Hella spot lights on the roof and then 2 Hella fog lights on the bumper. I then changed it to a 40" roof mount LED bar and a 20" bumper LED bar. The Hella spot lights had a farther reach than the LED bars but the LED bars seem to have a much better beam pattern that I think they offer more usable light. That's just my opinion.

As far as LEDs using less energy isn't necessarily always true depending on the setup. My 4 Hella lights were 55w, my 40" light bar was 400w

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^ I will absolutely post the 24" XPR and the two 4.5" light cannons by the end of next week.

Only problem, the iPhone 6 only really captures like 75% of the light output. But, I will of course do my best :)

O I'm sure no camera will get the full effect but we'll get the idea lol

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
O I'm sure no camera will get the full effect but we'll get the idea lol

You would need a camera with full manual control to set the same aperture and exposure for each setup. Anything automatic, (phone, point-and-shoot) will try to compensate for the varying light levels to some extent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat