Too much WDH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a fastway e2 trunion WDH for my first ever travel trailer. The coach weighs 4350lbs. with a GVWR of 7530. I purchased a 600TW/6000# WDH, as I can't imagine putting 3000lbs of cargo in it. The warehouse guy loaded the 1000tw/10,000 WDH into the truck. I didn't notice till i got home. Its a long way back to the supply house to exchange it. Is it worth the trip? how bad is too much WDH?

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I bought a fastway e2 10 K for my 4k camper, not the trunion, but the one that has the 90 degree curved bars. It works fine on the camper, its like driving a train on rails at 75MPH with a 40 MPH crosswind. I have a 2500, so its still overkill. I used it on a Ford f150 4wd supercrew prior to my Ram, worked great. when you set it up you have to measure how much tension you use by adjusting it so that it puts the proper amt of WD to your truck.

OP
OP
Eclipse Aries

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't have any problems maneuvering at low speeds or backing up? 50mph cross winds out here are not uncommon so I like the idea of a little extra stiffness

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Having a slightly heavier rated WDH will probably be most notable while adjusting it. If it's adjusted properly, it won't effect turning, backing up, etc.
It best to check/set up a WDH using semi scales, you at least want to put all the weight back on the front axle.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
It was easier to set the WD on the F150, due to how easily the tension would affect the height measured at the fender wells. The 2500 was so stiff the WD was hard to measure. I did not scale it, 40 miles nearest scale. Made sure the trailer stance was correct, slightly nose down. The hitch height, and the trailer brackets have lots of adjustment. I have had no issues backing or turning, but i did have an issue on the 2500, cranking the manual trailer jack when de -coupling, while releasing the tension, by jacking up. Electric jack,and proper adj fixed that. Never had one for 30 yrs, on big boats, didn't tow that far. Anti sway is great cant do without it now. Had a trailing cross wind in Mohave CA, blew the skylights lids off the trailer, 50 -60 gusts, passing semis, drove like on rails.Take your time setting it up, and go for test drives until your sure. Make sure your truck payload and GVWR, are OK 1500's don't have a lot of capacity. Bags are an option also.