Tool Chest Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
This past weekend, I bought a tool chest for my truck. Specifically, this one:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-46-in-texture-black-tool-box-chest

I'm trying to figure out a good way to mount it in the bed in a way that I can still remove it, as I am not sure how often I will actually be using it at the moment.

I have ram boxes, so my bed width is about 48-49 inches at any point, the box is roughly 46. My first thought was some j-hook turnbuckles from the handle to the bed tie downs. I tried mocking something up last night in my garage, but the space is so limited, I don't think I could tighten them very well.

My second thought is making a frame out of some square tubing, have it catch inside the bed divider slots so it can't slide, and bolt the box onto that. In my head, this sounds great, but these things usually don't turn out quite as planned.

Has anyone else mounted a chest in their truck? How did you do it?

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
You could use thread inserts then bolt it in when needed and remove it when not. They are pretty easy to install just would need to make sure to install them on the upper portion on the bed ridges if that make sense. Plus its a little more secure this way when the chest is locked.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hate to say it but those toolboxes are the worst I've ever owned. Not trying to be rude but I went through two of them and the latches just fell apart.

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I hate to say it but those toolboxes are the worst I've ever owned. Not trying to be rude but I went through two of them and the latches just fell apart.

I keep looking at the latches and wondering how long it will last. One of the brackets for the pin is already slightly bent. The box is still basically brand new, and I have the receipt. I haven't ruled out returning it yet.

What brand have you ended up with? I really just bought this one, as I could pick it up that day. Considering a plastic storage container is really all that I need 90% of the time, I can't justify spending $600 on a weatherguard.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Used to have a UWS box similar to that in my 99 Ram. Easiest way to install it, and the way most of the companies I've seen do it, is to use some good self-tapping metal screws and put four directly into the bed. Easy to remove, if need be. Never had a problem with it leaking, etc.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I keep looking at the latches and wondering how long it will last. One of the brackets for the pin is already slightly bent. The box is still basically brand new, and I have the receipt. I haven't ruled out returning it yet.

What brand have you ended up with? I really just bought this one, as I could pick it up that day. Considering a plastic storage container is really all that I need 90% of the time, I can't justify spending $600 on a weatherguard.

I actually went to a camper shell and bed drawers. But in the past I had a UWS for years and never had a problem. The first one I got at tractor supply actually broke when It was closed so i had to break into it with a crow bar to get to my tools. I brought it back and told them what happened so they let me upgrade (with an upcharge) to the gold proffesional series. Within 2 months one of those latches broke too. When I took it off and retired it, one latch worked but it would still pop open when I would hit a big bump in the road.

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I made my brackets this weekend. For anyone who wants to mount something in a rambox bed without drilling into anything, this worked out surprisingly well. This holds the box well enough that it doesn't move, even without adding any type of strap or turnbuckle.

This is the bracket I made, and there is a mirror image on the opposite side. That deeper channel in the front was a lot easier to use than my other ideas.

wRLLTtq.jpg

0nyczDp.jpg

I've been wanting a bed mat for the truck, so I got some stall mat from tractor supply and put it down so I don't have to re-adjust to add it later.

mJNpMLa.jpg

Both brackets painted and in place, on top of the mat.

j1KBEiI.jpg

Finally the toolbox mounted to the brackets

eqRj2aX.jpg

Tried to get a picture of them behind the box. I added foam to all of the contact points, and to fill in the little gaps

VidoLof.jpg

There is roughly 1/2" of clearance when the lid is open.

ZOjcAaG.jpg

Since this is just a temporary thing at the moment, I can't justify buying Weatherguard or UWS. If I end up keeping the toolbox in all the time, I will upgrade to one of them when this one breaks.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It looked really good. I like that you can fit it under a tonneau cover.

That flat black finish is some tough stuff and is one of the best looking boxes out there.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I bought a UWS above-the-rail toolbox based on a lot of reviews I looked up. I have to say I was disappointed in the quality of the box. Weather stripping was crap and a crap install job at best, lid hinge only had a few pop rivets holding things together, the little "walls" that create a pocket over the bed rails were flimsy and poorly welded in place, and the metal was so thin that it bent when I tightened down the j-bolt.... My fault, I didn't look the box over before buying it but I certainly expected more based on UWS's reputation...

I won't buy them again...

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
4DF5EC7D-7BD8-490B-A0ED-ECFBDDF51F93.jpeg 46674723-08E9-48E0-B334-2A874FB0A079.jpeg Not sure on the make of this box, but I got it off CL for $20 and spent some time getting it ready for spray on bed liner in a can. I used 2 cans, and a trip to the locksmith for 2 keys ($10) and I was done.

I didn’t want it to walk away so I got some stainless steel threaded eyelets then cut the “eye” just big enough to grab the bed tie down hangars. Drilled a couple 3/8 holes on each side then tightened the nuts.