Tow Vehicle: V6 vs. V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
It isn't necessarily the trade in on the V6 but if you decide to ever sell it outright then good luck. Like on the house flipping shows they say use neutral colors to target a larger audience. A V6 will drastically reduce your audience. trade in might be closer to a wash

Jon1704

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Look into the eco diesel. Better towing and fuel mileage.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I drove a v6 pentastar that had okay mileage empty, not much difference. Towing with a trailer through the mountains with another fat guy in the truck it drank as much or more than the v8. That seems consistent with what Motortrends and Fast Lane Trucks report. We were shuttling equipment and shuffled trucks a few times between loops leaving with whichever one was loaded at the time. The v6 had no issues getting going or keeping up with the flow of traffic, though quick acceleration to pass on the big grades was a Hemi only trick.

If you don't get too frustrated getting stuck behind slow traffic on two lane roads with short passing areas the v6 is much less to maintain; lower insurance, less oil, way fewer spark plugs!

trailhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Larimie Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Grandfather always told me "There is no substitute for Cubic Inches" G o

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For my work, I have had four Rams 1500's since 2015.
A 2015 Hemi with 3.92 2x4
A 2017 v6 with 3.21 2x4
An all new 2019 hemi with 3.92 2x4
A 2020 classic hemi with 3.92 2x4

I tow almost everyday. I tow an assortment of trailers; box, utility, boats, car dolly ext...
If you tow a lot a hemi with a tow gear is hands down an easy choice. You won't have to think about "can I tow this?" The hemi is capable and never complains and very stable on the highway.
My v6 Ram was a good truck and surprised me on more than one occasion. But I did ask myself often "can I tow this?" I found gas mileage is better with similar trailers maybe only 2-3mpg though. But I towed a mix of in town and highway. The v6 didn't feel as confident down the highway as the v8 but wasn't bad. It's a lighter truck. Also, my v6 wasn't a 4x4. I imagine the 4x4 v6 would have a better highway towing feel than the 2x4 model. Best of luck.

RamClassic LI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Ram 1500 Classic V6 Towing my Jayco with no real complaints and respectable towing gas mileage. I look at it this way, even with the Hemi the rpms will be north of 3-4K when towing, that’s just the way gas engines work. They need high Rpm to make power, yes the Hemi will get you up and going faster but when I’m towing I don’t plan on going fast I stuck between 60-65mph. If I had the funds I would skip the Hemi and go diesel only way to avoid the high rpms other than that the v6 does what it’s rated for.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'm purchasing a 3300 lbs dry weight tt. Should be about 4000 lbs loaded up with passengers and material, I calculated this so carefully as it is still under the 4xxx lbs weight limit of the 3.21 v6. I live in a flat area. Do you think I'll be alright?

Let me put it this way, my 2014 is paid so I do not want to trade up for another payment, regearing my 4x4 could also be expensive so for that 1/12th of the time I drive it. Plus I'm already spending x amount on the trailer... So, if it'll do it fine no problem. Thoughts?

I think you'll be fine at those weights with the v6. I had a loaner 1500, crew cab V6 8 speed 4x4 for a few days and was surprised at the pep it had. Seemed like a strong running engine.

RamClassic LI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's so bad about rpm if the machine is made for it?
Nothing at all , I tow with the V6 they are designed for high rpms. I was just stating that if people feel I comfortable with that feeling then a diesel will help minimize the high rpm.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My Grandfather always told me "There is no substitute for Cubic Inches" G o

Yep, said another way. "There's no replacement for displacement" (except forced induction, turbo, supercharger)

Murdock188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No experience towing with a v6 ram but I did tow my 24 ft camper with an SUV a couple times before I got my hemi crew cab 4x4 truck. Suv was at Max capacity and was not a good experience so I'd say stay at about 75% of your towing capacity max and should be fine. I'd buy the hemi just because of how satisfying the sound is when you punch it lol but it's your money.