towing 5th wheel with 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I think the OP left because he didn't like the answers he was getting, which were accurate. Hoe he gets the same answers wherever else he goes cause sounds like if 1 person tells him it's ok then he will go with it

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I think the OP left because he didn't like the answers he was getting, which were accurate. Hoe he gets the same answers wherever else he goes cause sounds like if 1 person tells him it's ok then he will go with it

I'll tell him he's fine - go for it, I'll also tell him that artificial sweeteners are safe, WMDs were in Iraq, and Anna Nicole married for love.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
What some of you don't seem to understand is I already have the truck and trailer. My truck has limited marketability so I can't afford to buy a comparable 2500-3500 truck. I don't want to buy something old with a lot of miles. The trailer has the layout that we need. We are retired and don't have a lot of disposable income. Some years ago I helped my friend convert his fairly new IH pickup from 1/2 ton 2wd to 3/4 ton 4wd so swapping chassis doesn't scare me. The only thing that bothers me is possible problems with the electronics. Get a salvage 2500 rolling chassis, slap your cab and box on it. divorce your Wife, put everything in her name and call it good. if ya do
What you do not understand is your trying to achieve the unachievable.
Sounds like you've pretty much accepted that you do not have enough cash to upgrade truck or trailer so accept that your truck cannot safely pull that trailer.
Of course, you can always slap on some tough truck springs, air bags, E range tires and head on down the highway.

Ever see those "Can you believe these insane tow rigs?" Pictures or Emails?
Expect to see you in one soon.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Their insurance is going to look at the modifications you make, and determine that you severely devalued your truck. Then they will only offer a small fraction of what your truck is currently worth before modding, and you will not have the money to spend months or years fighting them in court without a replacement vehicle.
I lived through that a few years ago. Got totaled by a Jeep and my truck had at least $15K in parts and upgrades. Insurance company would only consider anything bought within a year prior to the accident date (I had to provide a receipt proving purchase; and they would only consider parts cost and not labor). I gave them the receipts and they only added the ones that "improved" the truck but not the ones that "modified" the truck. In the end they only gave me an additional $1100 or so out of about $5K in receipts.

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Up until a few years ago Ram 1500s had ridiculously low payloads (A buddy had a loaded one with 1070#). I know Fords had some pretty decent payloads up over 2000# and a 5th wheel could be used within the numbers but it's usually going to be close.
My 2015 EcoDiesel Limited has a payload of, get this, 906 lbs. Yep.

And the previous owner put on powered side steps and a Bakflip tonneau cover. Between them they would easily weigh 100 lbs. So....

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2015 EcoDiesel Limited has a payload of, get this, 906 lbs. Yep.

And the previous owner put on powered side steps and a Bakflip tonneau cover. Between them they would easily weigh 100 lbs. So....
Yeah, those Eco-diesels we're laughable when they first came out (not sure if that's changed?). I remember discussing this with a group of my larger friends and it was determined that the four of us in the truck would put it over its payload limit!

The buddy I referenced a few posts up with a 1500 Ram with 1070# payload arrived at the campground once with dog and firewood in the bed and his 30' TT attached and was complaining of a flashing light on his dash of an arrow pointing at an icon of his truck bed. He pulled out the manual and it turns out there is some sensor that knows when you're really overloaded. After I explained payload to him he looked at his door sticker for the first time ever. Others got curious about their vehicles and a guy driving a Subaru Forrester found that he had 1150# of payload... yep, 80# than a Ram 1500...lol!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Yeah, those Eco-diesels we're laughable when they first came out (not sure if that's changed?). I remember discussing this with a group of my larger friends and it was determined that the four of us in the truck would put it over its payload limit!

The buddy I referenced a few posts up with a 1500 Ram with 1070# payload arrived at the campground once with dog and firewood in the bed and his 30' TT attached and was complaining of a flashing light on his dash of an arrow pointing at an icon of his truck bed. He pulled out the manual and it turns out there is some sensor that knows when you're really overloaded. After I explained payload to him he looked at his door sticker for the first time ever. Others got curious about their vehicles and a guy driving a Subaru Forrester found that he had 1150# of payload... yep, 80# than a Ram 1500...lol!

The new Super Duty is equipped with a built in array of lights in the brake light housing that shows a reference of the payload weight to show if you are overloading it.
What's next, if you're overloaded the trans won't come out of park! I can see manufacturers doing it. That or the tattle tale module will record the payload and will be more info obtained by a crash investigator. Or Uconnect sends it to HQ to void your drivetrain warranty because you're running overloaded! All possibilities.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I was looking at a Hyundai Santa Cruz on the internet today and it had a payload of 1600lbs...lol

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I have a hard time believing a forrester is going to handle that weight better than an ED with 950 pounds of payload. Not doubting that those were the numbers your buddy saw on both trucks, but lets be honest, what would you rather drive with 1000 pounds of cargo inside? I'll pick the ram every time.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ditto and then think about braking and swerve effect. No way at all. No add ons can retrofit a light weight frame
Exactly. It makes me nervous that people will state that some add-on will make a 1500 or even a 2500 into some type of towing Goliath. Offering that kind of advice is just irresponsible and adding the qualifier of "anything is possible with enough money" doesn't work. Doing any modifications and then thinking the truck is automatically now rated for more payload or towing capacity ignores the possibility that the add-on was installed incorrectly, is not intended for the use being made of it, or another component of the truck can't handle the additional stress.

In the end, the OP does only have two solutions: but a different truck or buy a lighter trailer. One other toy hauler issue; I have seen those things wagging down the road when overloaded with weight in the rear to lower the pin weight. That creates even more problems.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I honestly thought at first we were being trolled, but then there were several more replies by the OP which dispelled that belief. The first thing that came to mind when I read about the overloaded dash light is that data absolutely is recorded and I could see it being used to deny warranty claims and also against someone like the OP doing something irresponsible and hurting someone or worse. You can guarantee that data will be pulled and utilized in an event like that.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I do believe that warning is only when you have the air suspension.
It is unbelievable to me the number of people who are scared to death to modify something so basic.
What has happened to all the old hot rodders and mechanics that are willing to look at things outside the box.
And all this griberish about how the frame can't take a gooseneck or 5th wheel. God no wonder this country can't produce anything anymore.
Grow a pair and start thinking for yourselfs instead of parrotting garbage.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
It is unbelievable to me the number of people who are scared to death to modify something so basic.
What has happened to all the old hot rodders and mechanics that are willing to look at things outside the box.
And all this griberish about how the frame can't take a gooseneck or 5th wheel. God no wonder this country can't produce anything anymore.
As I stated earlier on in this thread modifying the truck in my opinion is doable. Biggest issue I see is it will likely cost more than if he went and bought a used 3/4 ton.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As has been stated several times already - sure, it CAN be done. Can it be done RIGHT and SAFELY? That's up for debate. Personally I argue that MOST people CAN'T do it right or safely.

What's NOT up for debate is that if you do this, and something fails, it's likely not just YOUR life that you're endangering - it's anyone around you when it happens. Family, friends, strangers in other vehicles, etc. There is a HIGH likelihood that when it fails someone is going to be at LEAST seriously injured, and with how insurance companies are handling things, they're likely going to deny ANY claim that comes from an accident involving a heavily-welded on truck.

If you can live with yourself after potentially ending someone else's life, then go ahead and go down this road. Personally? I'd rather just get the right tool for the job, or change the job to something that the tools I have can handle.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a hard time believing a forrester is going to handle that weight better than an ED with 950 pounds of payload. Not doubting that those were the numbers your buddy saw on both trucks, but lets be honest, what would you rather drive with 1000 pounds of cargo inside? I'll pick the ram every time.
Ever look at the payload numbers on a minivan? I worked in a shop where our primary delivery/pickup vehicle was a Dodge minivan. It was honestly every bit as stable while loaded as our pickup (a 2wd Ram 1500, regular cab long box).

The brand new Pacifica has a payload of 1700 lbs. Which is quite a bit higher than some 1500's.

Its tow rating is an abysmal 3600 lbs.

The Forester is worse, at 1500 to 3000 lbs. I hope the guy was pulling a pop-up or using a tent.

For giggles I looked up payload on a couple vehicles my parents used to have, a 1990 GMC 1500 suburban, and a 1500 pickup of the same year.

The pickup's payload: 1899 lbs.
The suburban's payload: 3727 lbs.

My point here is that, while yes, we all make fun of minivans, some of them can actually CARRY more weight than us (which makes sense - they are designed to carry 7-8 adults). They just can't pull that much weight.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ever look at the payload numbers on a minivan? I worked in a shop where our primary delivery/pickup vehicle was a Dodge minivan. It was honestly every bit as stable while loaded as our pickup (a 2wd Ram 1500, regular cab long box).

The brand new Pacifica has a payload of 1700 lbs. Which is quite a bit higher than some 1500's.

Its tow rating is an abysmal 3600 lbs.

The Forester is worse, at 1500 to 3000 lbs. I hope the guy was pulling a pop-up or using a tent.

My point here is that, while yes, we all make fun of minivans, some of them can actually CARRY more weight than us (which makes sense - they are designed to carry 7-8 adults). They just can't pull that much weight.

Agreed, I'm not suggesting the payload numbers are wrong; just that 1000 pounds in a truck with a payload of 980 pounds is more stable and preferred than 1000 pounds in a car rated at 1200 pounds. It's not just the payload that is at play, it's also the payload relative to GVWR, the suspension travel, brakes, stiffness of the frame, tire capacity etc etc.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Bahahah comments went exactly how I thought they would lol. Sorry man some people are rough. I got a lot of crap when I chopped my 2500 in half lol.