Towing Breakin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Kind of too late to be asking, you already did it. Good news is, you didn't hurt a thing, you already had 400 miles on it and pulling 3,300 pounds in nothing.

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Most rear end manufacturers recommend driving normal for about 30 minutes then park it & let the diff cool. Do that heat cycle 3 or 4 times & you are good to go pulling. No more weight than the OP was pulling he would be fine... plus he already had a few 100 miles on it so I am sure the diff was already broken in.
Not that the Cummins needed it but I also did the speed up to 60 then down to 45 back & forth for the 25 miles it took to get home that first day. That is supposed to help break in the rings. With the tolerances on a diesel it probably didn't do anything except hurt my fuel mileage & **** the people off behind me. :anitoof:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That said, the 'break in' period, as mentioned, is intended to cover Ram's butt. If they tell you to take it easy on it, then you put a 14k trailer behind it, they can void your warranty.
You don't know that. I guess we all take risks we feel we should. Personally, I followed the manuals recommendation on the towing break in. Figured better safe than sorry.