Towing: Gas vs diesel debate, 1500 & 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorsai56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 35' Toyhauler. Originally, pulled it with 1/2 ton Ran with Hemi.
While for the most part it pulled it ok, fuel milages never got over 9 mpg. With a small tank in the half ton, basically had to stop every 100 miles or so for fuel.
I traded it in on a 3500 with 6.7 diesel, which is a towing monster.
As far as cost for towing, over all it does better on fuel mileage, the real cost in the difference is maintainance.
If I didn't have some brothers that were top deseil mechanics, it could be real costly.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
For towing the various MPG enhancers are going to be a disappointment. I am referring to the ecoboost provided by turbos on 4 and 6 cylinder engines and the Ram eTorque engines that have what amounts to a battery pack and motor to add horsepower for brief periods of time. Pulling a heavy trailer up a long grade takes continuous torque from the engine which these do not provide.

Diesel makes a truck more expensive to buy and doubles the ongoing costs for maintenance. Over 12,000 lbs. tow load it is the best way to go. Below 10,000 lbs tow load and it is not so black and white. It depends greatly on the terrain and amount of elevation gain during trips and the gears on the truck.

With the desire to get as high a MPG EPA rating as possible the truck manufacturers have with the exception of Toyota, provided standard gears that are too high/tall for towing, or even good for off road travel. For towing with a gas engine I have always bought trucks and SUV's with 4.11 or 4.30 gears. It keeps the engine inside its peak power band to better pull a grade.

I have a 2011 2500 diesel truck that was fantastic for hauling 4,000 lb loads in the bed and towing a 13,000 pound power boat and trailer load, but now that I now longer am doing either, I plan to sell it this year and buy a truck with a gas V-8 engine. A big advantage of the diesel was being able to go 25-30 percent further on a gallon of diesel fuel with the truck's 36 gallon fuel tank.

With respect to the octane rating of gas all that it provides is a measure of knock or pre-combustion resistance for the fuel. It is not a measure of btu from the fuel. If an engine is designed for 89 octane gasoline and one uses instead 87 octane gas then the engine computer ******* the spark advance to compensate and to protect the engine from damage and the end result is less horsepower being provided and fewer miles per gallon burned. If an engine takes 87 octane and you put in 89 octane you are simply providing a much needed donation to Exxon's revenues and profits.

JoeNation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For east coast towing I love the 6.4. Its rolling terrain and I net 9mpg towing for trips. i do pull a 38' 5th wheel and the truck has zero issue's. i have towed with diesels and gas motors. Yes the motor rev's lol, if it aint reving it's not making HP. (i love when people make this out to be a bad thing) The people we camp with pull a very similar 5th wheel and he gets 12 mpg's. so for a 500 mile trip fuel/gas costs $ 166 for gas @ 3$ a gallon $145 for diesel fuel. 19$ delta for the gas. hemi 36K new. cummings 52K new. As for resale here on the east coast they all rust out before the motors ever do.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wish they would put ecodiesel in 3/4 ton. 25+ mpg empty and can pull 10k without too much sweat. Sign me up!

I have a 2015 1500 hemi. 3.21 gears though, so I don't like to tow more than 5k. But, I have a 2012 dually for bigger stuff like my 40 fifth wheel. A Hemi with 3.92 gears I'd be okay towing 8500 lbs. Any more weight than that, there just isn't enough truck there. 3/4 ton for up to say 12k, for me. 3500 dually for anything beyond that. My opionion.

Last edited:

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Wish they would put ecodiesel in 3/4 ton. 25+ mpg empty and can pull 10k without too much sweat. Sign me up!

I have a 2015 1500 hemi. 3.21 gears though, so I don't like to tow more than 5k. But, I have a 2012 dually for bigger stuff like my 40 fifth wheel. A Hemi with 3.92 gears I'd be okay towing 8500 lbs. Any more weight than that, there just isn't enough truck there. 3/4 ton for up to say 12k, for me. 3500 dually for anything beyond that. My opionion.

It wouldn’t get 25 mpg in a 2500. They’re taller, and weight around 2000lbs more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LDBagger17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had 3 dodge diesel rigs a 99 3500 drw 4x4, an 03 2500, and an 07.5 2500 now have a 15 3500 drw 6.4 hemi crew cab. I personally at this point wouldn't own a diesel, my 07.5 was driven as a DD by the wife for the first 19.5k of it's life and was at the dealer 5 times for emissions issues. Then I took it as a tow rig for my business and it wasn't much trouble for a long time. In 14 I ordered the new one with the gasser as a DD and tow rig for our TT 9k and it does great, we have towed multiple times from PA. to Tennessee and have averaged between 9.5-10 every time. One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is diesels are made to work not to be DD's for short hops, I know that was the case for my 07.5. I work in the ag industry and see it all the time the new diesels do fine if you work them but way to many diesel pickups are running around because of the cool factor!

Last edited:

Jeff Courtney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2018 3500 SRW crew w/ 6.4 hemi, auto, 4.10's 4x4. Towing mpg's are 8-10. Hate the way the trans shifts in tow mode. Seems as if trans shift points dont match engine to prevent bogging down.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2018 3500 SRW crew w/ 6.4 hemi, auto, 4.10's 4x4. Towing mpg's are 8-10. Hate the way the trans shifts in tow mode. Seems as if trans shift points dont match engine to prevent bogging down.

I do most of the shifting in my 2014 when towing. Keep the rpms up and no bogging.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I know....probably been asked a 1000 times...

Yes, I know... a diesel tows better...

What I'm debating is the true efficiency now between models. I haven't had a diesel in 10 years and really debating it because of all the new emissions stuff.

I have a 35' bumper pull travel trailer. The Ford F150 with the 3.5 eco-boost pulled it fine. Rear end lowered but it did it...I wasn't happy with it. The Ram 2500 with 6.4 of course didn't break a sweat. Mileage sucked but it's a truck, it did what it was made for.

I've been debating going back to a new 19 Ram CC with the 5.7 torque boost whatever on the engine. Specs show it bumps the towing up to 12,500 or something like that. Also looking at a 1-ton MC with the 6.7. Both would be 4wd Laramie models.

The TT empty is 8350 lbs...so lets say 10,500 loaded with 2 adults, 1 kid, the dog and associated crap. We don't do a lot of going...here and there with the camper so it wouldn't be a constant or all the time thing.

It appears on paper that the Hemi would do it and I know the Cummins wouldn't give a damn. In reality, you people that tow more, what would be your expectations on the Hemi with this TT and weight?

I know the Cummins would do it, have more torque and etc...but as I said, in these days of all the new federal crap, is a diesel worth it anymore? I was pre-fed junk and diesels were amazing...still are IF you use them like they are meant. I don't prefer to stay with a hemi on a 2500/3500 scale, but it's a back burner thought.

Thanks all and sorry to rehash anything. I have done quite a bit of searching on here and found some answer to my questions, I'm just really debating if anyone has some real world experience yet with the new 1500 hemis.

Have a great one!!

Texfire I can give you my firsthand experience with diesel verses gas. I owned a 2006 Ram with the 5.9 Cummings and l loved it. It was a 2500 4x4 and at the time I was pulling a 32ft sunny brook fifth wheel which weighed 11-k . The truck did a great job and mileage pulling the trailer averaged 16 mpg. I traded the 5th in on a 34 ft rock wood bumper pull with two slides in 2012 and needless to say the truck did a great job pulling it. In 2015 I sold my 2500 Cummings and purchased a 2015 Ram 1500 two wheel drive with an Ecodiesel and a 355 limited slip rear end. I installed a firestone airbag system with air pump and would air the bags up to 30 psi when pulling the trailer. The equalizer hitch along with the air bags kep the truck setting up nice in the rear. The little 3.0 diesel surprised me on how well it pulled the trailer and averaged between 10.5 and 14 mpg pulling the trailer. Running with no load it averaged 25 mpg and on straight highway driving it would hit 30 mpg. This past January I saw a new 2019 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi on my local dealer lot and loved the looks of the new design. My echodiesel had 70 k miles and I had never had any issues with the truck period and really liked it but I traded it in on the new 2019. My new truck is a Laramie 4x4 with 392 gears, it has the Sport Package and the 4x4 off road package which comes from the factory with an extra one inch lift. With the off road package it also has extra heavy duty shocks and the suspension is a little stiffer than the standard 4x4 and two wheel drives. It does not have the new toque boost system and personality I'm glad because I never like to get anything like this new technology the first year it is available because I want to see how it holds up in the real world usage. With this said I can tell you that my wife and I just returned from a 3200 mile trip with this truck pulling our 34 foot Rockwood with two slides. My trailer compares to yours as far as weight and the new truck with the 5.7 and the eight speed auto handle the trailer great. I pull running an average of 70 mph in the tow haul mode, my mileage varied depending on terrain and wind. The trip was in Arizona,New Mexico and South Texas, worst mpg was in mountainous areas in Arizona where I got 7.6 mpg and best was in New Mexico and south Texas where I got 11.5 . I mainly saw 8.7 mpg. I personally am happy with the mileage . My thoughts on a new Cummings equipped truck is that you can buy a lot of gas for the almost 10-k you will pay upfront for the Diesel engine. Hope this info is helpful.

rroche1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Texfire I can give you my firsthand experience with diesel verses gas. I owned a 2006 Ram with the 5.9 Cummings and l loved it. It was a 2500 4x4 and at the time I was pulling a 32ft sunny brook fifth wheel which weighed 11-k . The truck did a great job and mileage pulling the trailer averaged 16 mpg. I traded the 5th in on a 34 ft rock wood bumper pull with two slides in 2012 and needless to say the truck did a great job pulling it. In 2015 I sold my 2500 Cummings and purchased a 2015 Ram 1500 two wheel drive with an Ecodiesel and a 355 limited slip rear end. I installed a firestone airbag system with air pump and would air the bags up to 30 psi when pulling the trailer. The equalizer hitch along with the air bags kep the truck setting up nice in the rear. The little 3.0 diesel surprised me on how well it pulled the trailer and averaged between 10.5 and 14 mpg pulling the trailer. Running with no load it averaged 25 mpg and on straight highway driving it would hit 30 mpg. This past January I saw a new 2019 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi on my local dealer lot and loved the looks of the new design. My echodiesel had 70 k miles and I had never had any issues with the truck period and really liked it but I traded it in on the new 2019. My new truck is a Laramie 4x4 with 392 gears, it has the Sport Package and the 4x4 off road package which comes from the factory with an extra one inch lift. With the off road package it also has extra heavy duty shocks and the suspension is a little stiffer than the standard 4x4 and two wheel drives. It does not have the new toque boost system and personality I'm glad because I never like to get anything like this new technology the first year it is available because I want to see how it holds up in the real world usage. With this said I can tell you that my wife and I just returned from a 3200 mile trip with this truck pulling our 34 foot Rockwood with two slides. My trailer compares to yours as far as weight and the new truck with the 5.7 and the eight speed auto handle the trailer great. I pull running an average of 70 mph in the tow haul mode, my mileage varied depending on terrain and wind. The trip was in Arizona,New Mexico and South Texas, worst mpg was in mountainous areas in Arizona where I got 7.6 mpg and best was in New Mexico and south Texas where I got 11.5 . I mainly saw 8.7 mpg. I personally am happy with the mileage . My thoughts on a new Cummings equipped truck is that you can buy a lot of gas for the almost 10-k you will pay upfront for the Diesel engine. Hope this info is helpful.

That EcoDiesel in the new truck with the larger towing capacity, improved power for the ED is a tough truck not to give a look at. I have pulled some weight with mine, more than I should have, but truck handled it just fine. I used to do heavy haul and just didn't enjoy driving my dually around everyday. 1/2 tons are pulling what 1998-2008 3/4 used to pull now

DAKSY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
We pulled our 2916 Stryker Toy Hauler 9600 + miles last winter with our '18 2500 6.4l. Full of all our stuff & the wife's '11 Street Glide & my '14 Ultra Limited aboard...For the ENTIRE trip it averaged 6mpg. Heading across Oklahoma & Texas on Rt 40 - STRAIGHT into a constant headwind, we got 4.2 mpg (ugh)...Best was around 8 something...Fortunately, we had pretty low gas prices along our route. She DID rev climbing hills & I really didn't care for seeing 4K rpm on the tach. She tracked straight & true with the WDH. Losing the transmission & the truck for 11 days kinda dampened our spirits, but we got thru it. Thankfully, at 29K miles, it was under warranty...$9.2K is more than I have layin around...

04ctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 4:10
My take from reading on the EcoDiesel vs the V8 in the 1500 is the ED is rated to tow LESS than the Hemi, meaning it is meant for MPG, not for towing.

I have had several CTD's: 2004, 2006, 2001, 2015 (DEF, not DPF) and a 2000.

The DPF trucks are really what you are talking about being problematic, that EPA system is junk,

The DEF trucks seem to be doing really well.

So you do not want a DPF truck, no matter what (if it has been deleted, it has no warranty whatsoever)

A friend just had FCA warranty the turbo on their 2015 CTD 2500 @ 97k miles, to the tune of $3500, and it was not deleted, mod'ded or really hot rodded (was lady driven as a DD)

To the OP's point:

My last 2000 was a good running truck, but the brakes were shot, and I needed to move a few states over, so I sold the 2nd Gen (they are like little gold mines, all the high school kids are paying top dollar for them)

I bought a 2018 2500 with the 6.4 and the 4:10's

-here's the rub: the old 2500 tranny was made for the low RPM range of the CTD, so the low rear gears (3 somethings were stock for few years) made the Hemi use more RPM, since it was not in its efficiency HP/TQ/RPM range.

So if someone posts "my 2500 6.4 did _____" ask what year/rear gears it had in it. The 4:10 are a MUST HAVE for a 6.4 (and they were only stock starting in______?)

Someone may clarify, but I think the new 8 speed trannies are geared for gas engines, but I have not read if the Hemi/CTD get a diff tranny gearing.
----------------------------------------------------------------

MPG with a 2500 6.4 & 4:10's: dismal. The problem is not the motor, the problem is the aerodynamics (the same reason the EcoDiesel is not put in the 2500s for MPG)

Without the tonneau cover, and pulling a 24 foot V-nose (everyone says the flat nose is the cause of the bad MPG, so I made sure to get the V-nose) my MPG was still bad,

I think 9~10 empty, but if I could draft something (a Semi with a light load would match the Dodge's cruise well, or an Auto Hauler) I could pick up a few MPG. I ran super unleaded sometimes, but never could tell a diff.

Without the tonneau cover, I would see 8mpg steady with a load. I scaled at 16K on the biggest load.

The 6.4 ****** the snot out of it, I never felt the need for a Cummins, and it did very well

I put on a HARD tonneau cover, and I could draft almost anything (dually pickups) to break the head wind, and get 18~22mpg empty, without the trailer.

With the tonneau cover, I picked up 2~4mpg over all, my city (DD about 35 miles each way) went from 12mpg to 16mpg (18mpg if I really babied it and used the cruise in town, instead of jack-rabbiting in traffic)

With the cover, and empty 24ft trailer, I could get 12 steady, if I drafted a semi.

With a light load in the trailer, it did 8~10mpg

(the “tow haul” mode does somethings different,
Arrowing down the shifter shows what gear the tranny is in, and it also disables the “ECO” mode where it goes into 4cyl mode downhills, and that was a big deal, when the trailer is pushing you down the hill, and the motor is coasting in 4cyl mode, it gains a few MPG)
----------------------------------------------------

Trade in:

I bought the 2500 6.4 4:10 truck to move us, and then I was going to sell it.

You CANNOT sell a Gas Truck.

Nobody wants one; it is not an "ego boost" to have a gas truck.

The trade in value was almost $20k off the sticker price (I got the truck at invoice minus hold back, about 5k under sticker, so I was in it right)

They are worth NOTHING on trade/resell, esp. if you have a low end trim level.

----------------

In summary:

You can get a 6.4 MUCH cheaper new than a CTD, because they are less desirable.

The 6.4 4:10 will do anything you want to do.

You are stuck in a gas heavy duty truck; you can't get rid of it.

There’s no reason to get rid of it, they are great, and you don’t have DPF/DEF/Deletes to worry about.

The Cummins will get better MPG in some situations.

However, a Cold Air intake/Off road Y-pipe/exhaust/dyno tune may get better MPG out of the 6.4 (not according to my research)

Buy a trim level, cab size, and configuration you can LIVE WITH, and that will "grow" with you.

--------------------------------

I would not put 10K behind a 1500, because there is no "margin for error" and when the "tail wags the dog" the 1500 can't do anything about it.

A 7k pound 2500 can keep itself steady.

And think about it, if you are white knuckling it 24/7, is it really relaxing to travel? Or are you dreading it & having to rest up for a day after to unwind?

And your wife can't help you drive, because she KNOWS you are afraid.

I had my teenage sons drive my 2500 6.4 with the trailer all the time, nothing to it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
A friend just had FCA warranty the turbo on their 2015 CTD 2500 @ 97k miles, to the tune of $3500, and it was not deleted, mod'ded or really hot rodded (was lady driven as a DD)

To take a one-off occurrence and use it as justification while ignoring the 100's of thousands of 2013 through 2018 Cummins powered Rams that do not have issues is just plain wrong. I think that would be called fearmongering.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is diesels are made to work not to be DD's for short hops, I know that was the case for my 07.5. I work in the ag industry and see it all the time the new diesels do fine if you work them but way to many diesel pickups are running around because of the cool factor!

They do fine as daily drivers. The new ones will regen and take care of themselves when needed. Mine has turned into a daily soccer dad truck for the past 1 1/2 years and Zero issues. I do short trips, sit in the car pool lane at school you name it.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I traded the 5th in on a 34 ft rock wood bumper pull with two slides in 2012 and needless to say the truck did a great job pulling it. In 2015 I sold my 2500 Cummings and purchased a 2015 Ram 1500 two wheel drive with an Ecodiesel and a 355 limited slip rear end. I installed a firestone airbag system with air pump and would air the bags up to 30 psi when pulling the trailer.

If it's anything like the new ones, your trailer is about 8000lbs dry weight.
Loaded with all your gear and full tanks, it's not hard to add 1500lbs or even 2000lbs.
The eco diesel with the 3:55's is only rated for 8240lbs maximum trailer weight. Even with the 3:92's it's only just above 9,000lbs.

Your payload is also a little shaky. Assuming a 10-15% tongue weight, you're probably pushing 1000lbs. Say 750lbs actual, with weight distribution taken into account (wild ass guess). That only leaves you 750lbs remaining for people and gear. Not that much really.
Airbags can be a handy feature, but they don't increase maximum allowable payload.

Not judging here, but unless my numbers are way off that eco diesel just isn't enough truck for what you're pulling.
It may work well enough in a pinch, but it's definitely not something I'd recommend people aim for.
Even a Hemi 1500 is a little lighter than I'd personally want for that setup. Which has a higher tow capacity and payload in a similar configuration.

I tend to agree with what someone else posted. Those eco diesels are aimed at those who want better fuel mileage, rather than those who need any serious capability.

Last edited:

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My take from reading on the EcoDiesel vs the V8 in the 1500 is the ED is rated to tow LESS than the Hemi, meaning it is meant for MPG, not for towing.

I have had several CTD's: 2004, 2006, 2001, 2015 (DEF, not DPF) and a 2000.

The DPF trucks are really what you are talking about being problematic, that EPA system is junk,

The DEF trucks seem to be doing really well.

So you do not want a DPF truck, no matter what (if it has been deleted, it has no warranty whatsoever)

To the OP's point:

My last 2000 was a good running truck, but the brakes were shot, and I needed to move a few states over, so I sold the 2nd Gen (they are like little gold mines, all the high school kids are paying top dollar for them)

I bought a 2018 2500 with the 6.4 and the 4:10's

-here's the rub: the old 2500 tranny was made for the low RPM range of the CTD, so the low rear gears (3 somethings were stock for few years) made the Hemi use more RPM, since it was not in its efficiency HP/TQ/RPM range.

So if someone posts "my 2500 6.4 did _____" ask what year/rear gears it had in it. The 4:10 are a MUST HAVE for a 6.4 (and they were only stock starting in______?)

Someone may clarify, but I think the new 8 speed trannies are geared for gas engines, but I have not read if the Hemi/CTD get a diff tranny gearing.
----------------------------------------------------------------

MPG with a 2500 6.4 & 4:10's: dismal. The problem is not the motor, the problem is the aerodynamics (the same reason the EcoDiesel is not put in the 2500s for MPG)

Without the tonneau cover, and pulling a 24 foot V-nose (everyone says the flat nose is the cause of the bad MPG, so I made sure to get the V-nose) my MPG was still bad,

I think 9~10 empty, but if I could draft something (a Semi with a light load would match the Dodge's cruise well, or an Auto Hauler) I could pick up a few MPG. I ran super unleaded sometimes, but never could tell a diff.

Without the tonneau cover, I would see 8mpg steady with a load. I scaled at 16K on the biggest load.

The 6.4 ****** the snot out of it, I never felt the need for a Cummins, and it did very well

I put on a HARD tonneau cover, and I could draft almost anything (dually pickups) to break the head wind, and get 18~22mpg empty, without the trailer.

With the tonneau cover, I picked up 2~4mpg over all, my city (DD about 35 miles each way) went from 12mpg to 16mpg (18mpg if I really babied it and used the cruise in town, instead of jack-rabbiting in traffic)

With the cover, and empty 24ft trailer, I could get 12 steady, if I drafted a semi.

With a light load in the trailer, it did 8~10mpg

(the “tow haul” mode does somethings different,
Arrowing down the shifter shows what gear the tranny is in, and it also disables the “ECO” mode where it goes into 4cyl mode downhills, and that was a big deal, when the trailer is pushing you down the hill, and the motor is coasting in 4cyl mode, it gains a few MPG)
----------------------------------------------------

Trade in:

I bought the 2500 6.4 4:10 truck to move us, and then I was going to sell it.

You CANNOT sell a Gas Truck.

Nobody wants one; it is not an "ego boost" to have a gas truck.

The trade in value was almost $20k off the sticker price (I got the truck at invoice minus hold back, about 5k under sticker, so I was in it right)

They are worth NOTHING on trade/resell, esp. if you have a low end trim level.

----------------

In summary:

You can get a 6.4 MUCH cheaper new than a CTD, because they are less desirable.

The 6.4 4:10 will do anything you want to do.

You are stuck in a gas heavy duty truck; you can't get rid of it.

There’s no reason to get rid of it, they are great, and you don’t have DPF/DEF/Deletes to worry about.

The Cummins will get better MPG in some situations.

However, a Cold Air intake/Off road Y-pipe/exhaust/dyno tune may get better MPG out of the 6.4 (not according to my research)

Buy a trim level, cab size, and configuration you can LIVE WITH, and that will "grow" with you.

--------------------------------

I would not put 10K behind a 1500, because there is no "margin for error" and when the "tail wags the dog" the 1500 can't do anything about it.

A 7k pound 2500 can keep itself steady.

And think about it, if you are white knuckling it 24/7, is it really relaxing to travel? Or are you dreading it & having to rest up for a day after to unwind?

And your wife can't help you drive, because she KNOWS you are afraid.

I had my teenage sons drive my 2500 6.4 with the trailer all the time, nothing to it.

I've owned 3/4 ton Cummings Rams,1500 5.7 rams and a 2015 echo diesel Ram. Pulling a 34 foot bumper pull trailer behind the 3/4 ton can still have the tail wagging the dog problem . I've been pulling Travel trailers since 1980 and with the exception of a 32 foot fifth wheel that I had all trucks and trailers have had sway in wind and 18 wheelers passing ,that's 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks. After years of pulling with different equalizer hitches and sway control I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Hensley Arrow hitch and installed it on my 34 foot Rock Wood travel trailer. Now with my new 2019 Ram1500 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi and 392 gears I can roll down the highway pulling at 70 to 75 mph with no worries of passing 18 wheelers or wind gust. It's the best equalizer and sway control hitch on the market. The only reason you don't see a lot of them compared to the standard old hitches is the $2800.00 price compared to the &400.00 to $700.00 price of the standard hitch. That is why I didn't purchase one years ago became I just kept choking on the price. Now that I have one I can say it is worth every penny to be able to pull with the same confidence as when pulling a fifth wheel. And by the way the echo diesel I had before I bought this 2019 pulled this same trailer at 70 to 75 mph and averaged 12 to 14 mpg doing so. It did well in mountain travel also. The reason this little 3.0 diesel pulls so well is the torque which is 420 pounds comes in at 1900 rpm and the 240 horsepower keeps it rolling. When I was running 70 to 75 pulling the trailer I was turning 2100 rpm with the 355 gears which kept the engine in the maximum torque output so it didn't do much straining. Just wanted to let you and others know that the echo diesel preformed well above what most people think and will pull way more than what is published. I put 70K on mine before buying my new 2019 and never had a problem with anything on the truck it was a two wheel drive Laramie crew cab with 355 limited slip axel.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
But it's not about trailer sway. If the tail is constantly wagging the dog so to speak, you have more of an issue with weight distribution and trailer leveling than you do with the size of your tow vehicle. A larger, heavier vehicle will just be able to handle that sway a little better.
The biggest issues are stopping power, the strength of the frame, as well as premature wear on your transmission, rear end, and other drivetrain components.
These things are equally as - if not more - important as engine torque.

Aside from the fact that pulling "way more than what is published" is incredibly hard on your truck, it's unsafe and illegal.
If you were ever to be in a serious accident while significantly exceeding your tow weight, saving a few bucks on gas is going to be the least of your worries.

I absolutely respect your years of experience towing trailers. I'm sure there are many things I could learn from your experience.
However I think a lot of people become so focused on what they think their truck could do, they forget to think about what it should do.

Last edited:

slam 425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 e-torque
My son just last week traded in his 14 Ram blackout edition crew cab hemi 4x4 for a 2018 3500 Cummins crew can 4x4 he’s put about 700 miles on new truck mostly highway and he’s getting 22-23 mpg
His ram was leveled with bigger tires so can’t compare but I have 2015 hemi crew cab 4x4 bone stock 63k miles 50/50 local and highway ( I live in Long Island so local is a lot of traffic) and over the last 5400 miles I’m averaging 14.6
Not an aggressive driver for the most part just a little heavy on the pedal
Also I use regular unleaded
Hope this helps

image.jpg

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's anything like the new ones, your trailer is about 8000lbs dry weight.
Loaded with all your gear and full tanks, it's not hard to add 1500lbs or even 2000lbs.
The eco diesel with the 3:55's is only rated for 8240lbs maximum trailer weight. Even with the 3:92's it's only just above 9,000lbs.

Your payload is also a little shaky. Assuming a 10-15% tongue weight, you're probably pushing 1000lbs. Say 750lbs actual, with weight distribution taken into account (wild ass guess). That only leaves you 750lbs remaining for people and gear. Not that much really.
Airbags can be a handy feature, but they don't increase maximum allowable payload.

Not judging here, but unless my numbers are way off that eco diesel just isn't enough truck for what you're pulling.
It may work well enough in a pinch, but it's definitely not something I'd recommend people aim for.
Even a Hemi 1500 is a little lighter than I'd personally want for that setup. Which has a higher tow capacity and payload in a similar configuration.

I tend to agree with what someone else posted. Those eco diesels are aimed at those who want better fuel mileage, rather than those who need any serious capability.

I traded the Echo diesel on a new body style 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 off road Sport in January with a 5.7 Hemi. I traded because I loved the look of the new 2019 not because of any thing wrong with the 2015 echo diesel. I had 70k miles on the echo diesel with out one single problem of any kind with the truck, it was also a Laramie. I agree that air bags or any other form of overload helper springs does not change the load capacity of a vehicle. The purpose of the air bags in my application is to work along with the eqilizer hitch to keep the rear of the truck from sagging down . The load rating from Ram may be lower than what I actually loaded the truck with but it did not strain or feel like it couldn't handle the load with confidence. This new 2019 I bought has the off road package with heavier suspension than the regular 4x4 and it is rated to pull 11,700 pounds and I'm confident it will easily handle more than that although I don't plan on pulling anything heavier. We just took a 3200 mile trip through Arizona,New Mexico and South Texas and the truck did an exclent job with no issues. It averaged 8.7 mpg running mostly 70to 75 mph pulling the 34 foot trailer. I've owned two Ram 2500 Cummings 4x4 trucks in the past and I loved them both, I am now 67 years young and want to enjoy a little smoother ride every day than what a heavy duty truck can offer. I'll agree that if I pulled heavy loads most everyday I would go to the heavy trucks but I don't do that and most of my driving is unloaded and empty. That's why I chose the 1500 trucks.