Towing: Gas vs diesel debate, 1500 & 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Thanks everyone for the replies! Some real good info here. My thoughts were the same as several others regarding the length and wind/etc.

Some also mention the time towing, which is not much at all.

My dilemma was same as Aces...I don't spend a ton of time towing and when I do, I'm not in a race. My tow rig will also be my DD and I'm curious if its worth sacrificing the comfort and quality in the time being.

As for all the "federal crap" lol...it is what it is. I wasn't saying it was all a bad thing, I just know it hurts these engines to some extent. I come from the 5.9 days and those were best too. I have driven the 6.7 and while they are beasty as well, I see a ton of people complaining how restrictive it all is. Not to say they aren't good motors with it all on there, they could just be more without it all. I see plenty of newer CTDs towing all day long with all the fed junk...I know it can be done, I wasn't worried about that the least bit.

Thanks again everyone for the info! Definite food for thought!!

Do not buy a truck for what it will do, 99% of the time, but what it MUST do, occasionally.

3/4ton is only intelligent option.
Except for those who find themselves saying, "Hold my beer and watch this ..."

Gas/Diesel is a preference.
Over time, the fuel/wear expenses will more than pay for the added cost of the diesel.
Had a V-10, Daily Driver for 15 years.
Figured I paid for that diesel, 4 or 5 times over.

If I ever go 3/4 ton again, or higher, it will be a diesel.

rroche1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yes, I know....probably been asked a 1000 times...

Yes, I know... a diesel tows better...

What I'm debating is the true efficiency now between models. I haven't had a diesel in 10 years and really debating it because of all the new emissions stuff.

I have a 35' bumper pull travel trailer. The Ford F150 with the 3.5 eco-boost pulled it fine. Rear end lowered but it did it...I wasn't happy with it. The Ram 2500 with 6.4 of course didn't break a sweat. Mileage sucked but it's a truck, it did what it was made for.

I've been debating going back to a new 19 Ram CC with the 5.7 torque boost whatever on the engine. Specs show it bumps the towing up to 12,500 or something like that. Also looking at a 1-ton MC with the 6.7. Both would be 4wd Laramie models.

The TT empty is 8350 lbs...so lets say 10,500 loaded with 2 adults, 1 kid, the dog and associated crap. We don't do a lot of going...here and there with the camper so it wouldn't be a constant or all the time thing.

It appears on paper that the Hemi would do it and I know the Cummins wouldn't give a damn. In reality, you people that tow more, what would be your expectations on the Hemi with this TT and weight?

I know the Cummins would do it, have more torque and etc...but as I said, in these days of all the new federal crap, is a diesel worth it anymore? I was pre-fed junk and diesels were amazing...still are IF you use them like they are meant. I don't prefer to stay with a hemi on a 2500/3500 scale, but it's a back burner thought.

Thanks all and sorry to rehash anything. I have done quite a bit of searching on here and found some answer to my questions, I'm just really debating if anyone has some real world experience yet with the new 1500 hemis.

Have a great one!!

Man I own my own company and I tow almost everyday, anywhere from 5k-11k. I had a 3/4 gas Chevy 2500, I enjoyed it but got tired of the fuel mileage being sub 10's pulling. I wanted the comfort and ease of a 1/2 ton to drive everyday. I owned a transportation company for a few years as well, and logged hundreds of thousands of miles with 3500 Cummins. I was in the same boat almost needing a 3/4 ton but not really wanting the dealings of a diesel. I was going to wait for the 19 Rams to come out because of the larger towing capacity. I went by the dealership and ended up buying a EcoDiesel. I put 20,000 miles on it in about 10 months, over half of that towing. I will say it was the happy median point for me. Great mileage, pulls better than the Hemi, and fun to drive. I know you didn't want to deal with diesel, but in have been extremely happy with it. They are coming back out at the end of the year slightly revamped. It would be hard for me I'm your position to not give that a thought. A good friend of mine is The service manager for the diesels at a Ram dealer, he swayed me to the EcoDiesel. Said they were holding up really well and low maintenance for a diesel. Some food for thought for you. It's a bonus to travel and get 30 mpg as well. Fuel mileage was key for me, haven't really seen less than 15 mpg towing either

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Man I own my own company and I tow almost everyday, anywhere from 5k-11k. I had a 3/4 gas Chevy 2500, I enjoyed it but got tired of the fuel mileage being sub 10's pulling. I wanted the comfort and ease of a 1/2 ton to drive everyday. I owned a transportation company for a few years as well, and logged hundreds of thousands of miles with 3500 Cummins. I was in the same boat almost needing a 3/4 ton but not really wanting the dealings of a diesel. I was going to wait for the 19 Rams to come out because of the larger towing capacity. I went by the dealership and ended up buying a EcoDiesel. I put 20,000 miles on it in about 10 months, over half of that towing. I will say it was the happy median point for me. Great mileage, pulls better than the Hemi, and fun to drive. I know you didn't want to deal with diesel, but in have been extremely happy with it. They are coming back out at the end of the year slightly revamped. It would be hard for me I'm your position to not give that a thought. A good friend of mine is The service manager for the diesels at a Ram dealer, he swayed me to the EcoDiesel. Said they were holding up really well and low maintenance for a diesel. Some food for thought for you. It's a bonus to travel and get 30 mpg as well. Fuel mileage was key for me, haven't really seen less than 15 mpg towing either

Unless the new Ecos have an increased max towing capacity above the current 9200#, his 10500# TT is going to be over the limit. I'm not saying the ED wouldn't pull it, because I think it probably would, they just aren't rated for it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have driven the 6.7 and while they are beasty as well, I see a ton of people complaining how restrictive it all is.

Tons of folk complaining about how restrictive the engines are, are you kidding? Have you seen the specs of the 2019 Cummins HO or the TFL dyno comparisons where only the RAM met published HP and torque numbers (less powertrain parasitic loss)? Whoever is complaining about engine restrictions has their head up their, well, use your imagination.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go 2019 2500 with the 6.4 mainly due to the 8 speed zf transmission. Highly recommend a 3/4 ton truck for that sort of weight. Cummins is nice but you're not wrong with all the emission equipment that can go wrong especially if you're in the north.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Unless the new Ecos have an increased max towing capacity above the current 9200#, his 10500# TT is going to be over the limit. I'm not saying the ED wouldn't pull it, because I think it probably would, they just aren't rated for it.

This. They have a horribly low payload capacity. Probably works fine when you’re alone pulling a utility trailer. Not good for a large travel trailer, and a family in the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This. They have a horribly low payload capacity. Probably works fine when you’re alone pulling a utility trailer. Not good for a large travel trailer, and a family in the cab.

Yup, 4dr Half Trucks are a car with a bed on the back...

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I would go 2019 2500 with the 6.4 mainly due to the 8 speed zf transmission. Highly recommend a 3/4 ton truck for that sort of weight. Cummins is nice but you're not wrong with all the emission equipment that can go wrong especially if you're in the north.

I was hoping to see this, it's a no brainer.

Wheezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hijack your post, but I don’t know how to make my own!, but I have 2016 CC 2500 6.4 4x4 and tow 7000 lb TT, I am looking into trading to 2019 6.4 8 speed and was wondering if I should expect a noticeable improvement uphill?, I get slapped down to 45 mph while at 3000rpm in northern New England. Also how much difference do 4.10 make over 3.73? I get 9-10 towing and 19-20mpg around town

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hijack your post, but I don’t know how to make my own!, but I have 2016 CC 2500 6.4 4x4 and tow 7000 lb TT, I am looking into trading to 2019 6.4 8 speed and was wondering if I should expect a noticeable improvement uphill?, I get slapped down to 45 mph while at 3000rpm in northern New England. Also how much difference do 4.10 make over 3.73? I get 9-10 towing and 19-20mpg around town

Hard to say but I'm sure it will be noticeable because the tighter gear ratios will allow you to hold the rpms better. I dont think the mpg improvements will be much (probably 5-10% better) because gas engines generally get poor fuel economy while towing. They get taxed too easily with weight and wind as oppose to diesels.

I generally hold off on first 2 years of a new model but the 6.4 has been around several years and so has the zf.

Djoker04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 1500 2015
Engine
HEMI
You don't say how often you tow?
I have a 25ft toyhauler and probably push 9K. My own dilemma was I use my truck as a daily driver and wanted comfort and better MPG. I maybe tow my rig every other month so why punish myself with a rougher ride and less MPG every day. I'm not in a race when I tow and the 1500 exceeds my expectations every time I do.
If I was towing more often, I would have defiantly got a 2500.
If you go with the 1500 without the air suspension, you will need rear air bags to prevent sagging. my $2 worth...

I just saw a video about AIR BAGS VS WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION hitch...I’m going with the WD!
I too was looking into trading my 2015 1500 for a diesel. But some factors came to play
1: if you are not towing as much (35% or more a month) it’s a waste.
2: The cost of fuel
3: Delete or not to delete..and the $$$$ it cost to do so.

I ha e a 7x14 Vnose 2200 Empty and for what I use it for no more than 3200-3500#’s. When I tow empty I get 12-13 maybe a lil less...,with added weight 3k..9-10!

I drove from San Antonio to Montgomery, Alabama and all I had was my 400lb Track bike 4 drawer tool set and some other equipment. And I got 9-10.

I just dropped in a Pusar tuner and I plan on doing a run to San Marcos and back just the the Truck and test MPG in economy Mode. Then Towing empty. In tow mode Its about 100 round trip. I’ll make a video of it and post it. Also I’m adding the WD HITCH!

I’ll keep y’all posted

Djoker04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 1500 2015
Engine
HEMI
Thanks everyone for the replies! Some real good info here. My thoughts were the same as several others regarding the length and wind/etc.

Some also mention the time towing, which is not much at all.

My dilemma was same as Aces...I don't spend a ton of time towing and when I do, I'm not in a race. My tow rig will also be my DD and I'm curious if its worth sacrificing the comfort and quality in the time being.

As for all the "federal crap" lol...it is what it is. I wasn't saying it was all a bad thing, I just know it hurts these engines to some extent. I come from the 5.9 days and those were best too. I have driven the 6.7 and while they are beasty as well, I see a ton of people complaining how restrictive it all is. Not to say they aren't good motors with it all on there, they could just be more without it all. I see plenty of newer CTDs towing all day long with all the fed junk...I know it can be done, I wasn't worried about that the least bit.

Thanks again everyone for the info! Definite food for thought!!

Also here’s the video I was talking about earlier. Great info about airbags and a weight distribution hitch. In the comments some say AIR BAGS Are best for BED Hauling or 5th wheels.

Wheezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to say but I'm sure it will be noticeable because the tighter gear ratios will allow you to hold the rpms better. I dont think the mpg improvements will be much (probably 5-10% better) because gas engines generally get poor fuel economy while towing. They get taxed too easily with weight and wind as oppose to diesels.

I generally hold off on first 2 years of a new model but the 6.4 has been around several years and so has the zf.
Do you mean the 4.10 Vs 3.73 may be noticeable, or the 8 speed transmission? Thanks

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
4.10's should be standard with the 6.4. Why would a guy want to neuter the truck with 3.73's that comes stock with 33" tires and a tranny with 2 overdrive gears?! The 8 spd might even have 3!

4.10's are a no brainer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you mean the 4.10 Vs 3.73 may be noticeable, or the 8 speed transmission?
You'll definitely notice a difference with the 8 spd, a much better gear stager than the 6 spd

The 8 spd might even have 3!
Only 7th & 8th are over drive gears, 6th is 1:1

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, 4dr Half Trucks are a car with a bed on the back...
Sheesh! so what does that say about mid-size trucks lol!? I guess they're just sedans that look like trucks lol!

Wheezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the help, I will consider the 4.10, but tbh only tow TT 8-10 times a year so not sure I need 4.10, most dealerships around northern New England have tradesman with 3.73

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sheesh! so what does that say about mid-size trucks lol!? I guess they're just sedans that look like trucks lol!

Compacts that look like trucks.