Towing question about weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I th

The base weight does include 150 pounds for a person, I learned that from information provided by other members here. So one does not have to decrease payload by all people in truck.

Either way include don’t include 150 for a driver if your coming down to 150lbs your probably pushing it to hard and should look for a smaller trailer or bigger truck. I don’t really understand why people like to push it so hard. I would understand if it was to be used as a home or for a lease or something and you just need to get it out there once but for the guy that’s camping several times a month and traveling a lot it doesn’t make sense to me anyways.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I th

The base weight does include 150 pounds for a person, I learned that from information provided by other members here. So one does not have to decrease payload by all people in truck.
The 150 pounds is in the max trailer weight calculation. It is actually 300 for driver and passenger now.

But the max tow number is irrelevant as I have explained in other posts.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I th

Base weight is truck empty with full fluids.

Driver is part of payload.

There is no allowance for driver in payload.

It is an allowance in the trailer calculation.

And pointless. I know very few adults who weigh 150lbs. Right now with my winter weight dressed for work I am 310lbs. A pointless number

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Either way include don’t include 150 for a driver if your coming down to 150lbs your probably pushing it to hard and should look for a smaller trailer or bigger truck. I don’t really understand why people like to push it so hard. I would understand if it was to be used as a home or for a lease or something and you just need to get it out there once but for the guy that’s camping several times a month and traveling a lot it doesn’t make sense to me anyways.
Cause the TV ad says it can tow 10,000+lbs and the salesman at the truck dealer and RV dealer both tell them they are fine. Most people never research past that point.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Base weight is truck empty with full fluids.

Driver is part of payload.

There is no allowance for driver in payload.

It is an allowance in the trailer calculation.

And pointless. I know very few adults who weigh 150lbs. Right now with my winter weight dressed for work I am 310lbs. A pointless number

I was going to come here and post something similar. There are no tricks to getting around payload. My truck has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs and the curb weight 7800 lbs. So the payload is 2200 lbs. Its not 2200 lbs plus 150 for the driver.

Tow rating is useless all these trucks could tow 20,000 lbs on flat roads.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Like so many have said... payload is right on a sticker on the door jamb. This is the maximum weight the truck can carry including but not limited to passengers and cargo. Cargo is anything in, on or attached to the truck in anyway shape or form that was not an original factory addition.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Here is how I do it. Some research shows that your payload is ~1500#, so that is the number I will use.
Trailer 7500# and since no one tows an empty trailer 8500# is probably closer. This figure includes water, propane and all of your accessories for cooking, cleaning, and clothing.
8500x12%=1020#
2 Adults=325#(you can get closer)
2 Kids 200#
WDH 150#
Total=1722#
Being as these numbers are conservative, for added safety and comfort, you seem to be overweight. And that is with an empty bed, which is probably not going to happen. I haven't seen a trailer length and it matters a great deal. 32' trailer and overweight means even more trouble.
I tow 6000# loaded and it is all I am comfortable with.You've gotten some great knowledge from previous posts, I hope it all works out for you.
Canyon

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '13 1500 Big Horn with 5.7 & 3.92 gears. It's the 6 speed and I have the quad cab. My tow rating is 10,050. Trailer is 7000# dry. I have a Reese dual cam WD/sway. No issues whatsoever. I normally run with tow/haul on. I keep the speed around 63-66 mph. It tows extremely well. I'm from NY and I normally go to 1000 islands and Adirondack mountains. The Thurway is pretty flat and I tow with cruise control. I don't really get pushed around by the 18-wheelers like my old setup. Going to the 1000 islands is a rather slow climb for 80-100 miles on Rte 81. There's also a lot of board-side wind once you get to the eastern side of Lake Ontario. Going to the Adirondacks, there is a large climb for 10 miles out of Utica. My speed drops to about 50-55 mph and the RPM goes to a sustained 3000k. My engine/transmission temps went up a little under 10 degrees on a 85 degree day. Once you get to the mountains the roads get very curvy and there's a lot of hills. Would a 2500 tow better, sure. But I only go that far twice a year so it doesn't justify the cost of ownership and extra fuel for a truck that is also a daily driver. I've been very impressed with my Ram towing my camper. Personally, based off my experience you will be fine.

Beerbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not to dampen anyone's parade but I was in the same boat and I was forced to trade the 1500 for a 2500. The numbers were just too close for comfort.

Robert Fly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2016 1500 has a payload of 1820 and I pull a 5th wheel just fine. Maxxed out but that Hemi and 8spd transmission work just fine.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Not to dampen anyone's parade but I was in the same boat and I was forced to trade the 1500 for a 2500. The numbers were just too close for comfort.

In the past year I know of 20 people (5 local) who did that. And then one fellow went from 1500 to a 2500. Bought a 5th wheel too heavy for the 2500 and bought a 3500 DRW!

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
My 2016 1500 has a payload of 1820 and I pull a 5th wheel just fine. Maxxed out but that Hemi and 8spd transmission work just fine.

I'm hoping its a 5ver under 9k.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I towed my Dutchmen Denali 289RK (34') 1000s of miles with

2013 1500 Express 2x4 Hemi 3.92
2015 1500 Sport 4x4 Hemi 3.92
2017 1500 Laramie 4x4 Hemi 3.92

Just saying.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
My opinion, regardless of what a half ton is rate for, when you get to 30+ feet in total trailer length and 7500 lbs or more in loaded trailer weight you're better off with a 3/4 ton truck.

Coming from someone that owns a Flagstaff 27VRL and towed it with a '13 1500 Laramie and now a '17 1500 Sport. My current sport has a payload of 1700 lbs with 10,400 lb tow capacity and, even with a ProPride hitch, that tail wags the dog. It's setup as good as it's going to get, and the trailer is just a bit too much.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My opinion, regardless of what a half ton is rate for, when you get to 30+ feet in total trailer length and 7500 lbs or more in loaded trailer weight you're better off with a 3/4 ton truck.

Coming from someone that owns a Flagstaff 27VRL and towed it with a '13 1500 Laramie and now a '17 1500 Sport. My current sport has a payload of 1700 lbs with 10,400 lb tow capacity and, even with a ProPride hitch, that tail wags the dog. It's setup as good as it's going to get, and the trailer is just a bit too much.

Something ain't right then. It shouldn't sway like that with the ProPride. That's a better WD kit than what I have. Your trailer weights slightly less than mine too; Keystone Springdale 270le. Looks like your trailer is more arrow-dynamic with the wedge-shaped front. Did a propride dealer install the Propride? If you're getting sway you may want to take it back. Mine had to be adjusted twice. It sounds like it's out of adjustment or there could be something going on with your tires or suspension. Try topping off your air before you go out on both truck and trailer. I put like 50 lbs in the rear of the truck to stiffen them up. Your trailer tires could be the culprit too. I can tell if a tire is low on the trailer because I'll start getting a little sway too. Your trailer tires might not be balanced either.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Something ain't right then. It shouldn't sway like that with the ProPride. That's a better WD kit than what I have. Your trailer weights slightly less than mine too; Keystone Springdale 270le. Looks like your trailer is more arrow-dynamic with the wedge-shaped front. Did a propride dealer install the Propride? If you're getting sway you may want to take it back. Mine had to be adjusted twice. It sounds like it's out of adjustment or there could be something going on with your tires or suspension. Try topping off your air before you go out on both truck and trailer. I put like 50 lbs in the rear of the truck to stiffen them up. Your trailer tires could be the culprit too. I can tell if a tire is low on the trailer because I'll start getting a little sway too. Your trailer tires might not be balanced either.
Your truck is sagging very bad in your profile pic. Does it sit that was when normally towing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
. Did a propride dealer install the Propride? If you're getting sway you may want to take it back. Mine had to be adjusted twice. It sounds like it's out of adjustment or there could be something going on with your tires or suspension.
If a dealer is adjusting the WDH, you need the truck and trailer loaded as close as possible to how your going to be traveling with it. (This applies to all WDHs)
This is right from the ProPride instructions on adjusting the hitch set up:
For optimum performance of the weight distribution hitch, the tow vehicle should be loaded similarly as to when you would be towing. That means that you should load all the people and cargo into the tow vehicle as if you were going on a trip with your trailer.