Towing whit pentastar 3,6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dalpeandre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel 3.0
I have a Ram 2017 whit the Pantastar 3,6 whit the ratio 3,55 and 6800 gvwr/7440lb towing capacity. Do you think it’s possible to tow a fifthwheel of 4500 lb whit no issues in hill or wind ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Why would you tow such a light load with a fifth wheel? Put that behind a bumper and you won’t even know it’s there.

OP
OP
dalpeandre

dalpeandre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel 3.0
Maybe i say it wrong but 4500lb thats the weight of the fifth wheel. I’m a newbie in vr world or towing. I’m afraid of the pentastar real towing abilities

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will struggle a bit, but really depends on the actual weight, the hills/winds, you encounter, AND the speed at which you wish to tow at.

Is the 4500 the actual weighed weight or the published weight?

Also passenger/cargo weight?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like the OP is looking at an Escape 5.0TA it has a GVWR of 5500 lbs.
http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-5-0-escape/
A member on another forum has one he tows with his EcoDiesel.

To the OP, like pacofoetacos stated depends on the terrain and how fast your attempting to drive. Don't be surprised if truck gets upwards of 4500 rpms when accelerating before the trans shifts and it will probably run in the 2500-3500 rpm range while towing.

Why would you tow such a light load with a fifth wheel? Put that behind a bumper and you won’t even know it’s there.

With a fiver, it doesn't have the leverage pushing and pulling on the rear end around like a tag along.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dalpeandre

dalpeandre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel 3.0
It will struggle a bit, but really depends on the actual weight, the hills/winds, you encounter, AND the speed at which you wish to tow at.

Also passenger/cargo weight?

4500lb it’s the dry weight

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sounds like the OP is looking at an Escape 5.0TA it has a GVWR of 5500 lbs.
http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-5-0-escape/
A member on another forum has one he tows with his EcoDiesel.

To the OP, like pacofoetacos stated depends on the terrain and how fast your attempting to drive. Don't be surprised if truck gets upwards of 4500 rpms when accelerating before the trans shifts and it will probably run in the 2500-3500 rpm range while towing.

With a fiver, it doesn't have the leverage pushing and pulling on the rear end around like a tag along.
Still, a 5k trailer with a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch sounds excessive. A bumper pull should be sufficient. 5th wheel will work, but it’s like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
dalpeandra, You ask about behind the Pentastar but show an Ecodiesel as your truck? Peak torque is peak fuel efficiency for work performed meaning you really start working your motor hard and using fuel hard beyond peak torque up to peak HP. Pentastar peak torque of 269 at 4,175 rpms and peak HP at 6,400. Ecodiesel 420 TQ at 1900 rpms.

While they might have similar max tow ratings in some scenarios what the ED would routinely do efficiently and with ease at 2k might take the Pentastar 4k and a lot more fuel to do in part by the nature of gasoline vs diesel. pacofortaco described it well. By the time you add propane batteries basic water and supplies on average people add about 1,000 pounds to the dry weight for a total of 5,500 pounds. The ED will do it comfortably the Pentastar will manage to get the job done.

Here is a small 5th wheel the size you speak of behind an Ecodiesel. The owner is pleased with the economy and how it pulls.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...d1536360229-show-your-rig-towing-p1040873.jpg