Towing with a 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Rice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2012 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 and the towing package ( brake controller and hitch and wiring). I was wondering the best things to add to the truck to help with towing? I plane on towing around a 7000 oound camper in the future??

Thanks

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2012 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 and the towing package ( brake controller and hitch and wiring). I was wondering the best things to add to the truck to help with towing? I plane on towing around a 7000 oound camper in the future??

Thanks

Weight distribution hitch. You have fold out tow mirrors?

OP
OP
Rob Rice

Rob Rice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will get the weight hitch....but I do not have the fold out mirrors my mirrors are power and heated only no lights in them can you point me in a direction on getting a set??

Ian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins 24 valve
Air bags. Factory tow mirrors would probably be your best bet.

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will get the weight hitch....but I do not have the fold out mirrors my mirrors are power and heated only no lights in them can you point me in a direction on getting a set??

If you don't have the Factory Tow Mirrors you will have to get some sort of cheesy add ons, probably any RV service shop can order and install. Factory mirrors actually lift up enabling you to see to the sides of your trailer. If your brake controller is factory installed I would think you have the correct mirror. Hand on the bottom and lift up and out. 7k trailer is probably very close to your max.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
It looks like you have the flip up tow mirrors for your truck in your avatar pic. They just rotate up.

mir-dram10-pw-set-z3-3.jpg

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
As folks have said before, I would look at some air assist springs. Timber Grove Air Spring Assist Mounts (ASAM) if you will be towing a good sized trailer. I have them and they are quality. Others have upgraded to Hellwig rear sway bar too. (Hellwig 7709).

OP
OP
Rob Rice

Rob Rice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok I have not tried to flip up the mirrors but my build sheet lists heated folding mirrors nothing about tow mirrors ...I do not think I have the tow mirrors....also sounds like air bags and bigger anti sway bar would be good investments

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Depending on how much you plan on towing or if you don't want to change to the towing mirrors.
Fit System 80710 Snap-on Black Towing Mirror for Dodge RAM 1500/2500/3500 - Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFV7DI6/

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
With a 7k lb loaded rig as said you will be close to maxed out. Invest in a good quality way with built in sway control like an equalizer or something like that you need more than just friction sway control at those weights.

You will also want to take the rig to a cat scale and weigh it to confirm your weights and thst with the wdh engaged your restoring most of your unloaded front axle weight. You want 10-15% tongue weight to limit sway issues. You will likely be over your payload limit. How long is this rig you want to tow? What axle gearing do you have? You can tow heavy with a half ton but you'll need to take your time. You should anyway, I do also. Good luck

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok I have not tried to flip up the mirrors but my build sheet lists heated folding mirrors nothing about tow mirrors ...I do not think I have the tow mirrors....also sounds like air bags and bigger anti sway bar would be good investments

Have you checked your mirrors? Takes less than a minute.

OP
OP
Rob Rice

Rob Rice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tried to flip them...there not a flip up tow mirror

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Weight Distributing Hitch and sway bar.
Tuftruck springs (then if further help is needed, which is highly doubtful, add Airbags)
Bilstein 4600 shocks,unless you want to level,then 5100 shocks
if feel a "rolling" or "squish" effect, during cornering, d or e rated tires

check trail tongue weight, keep it 10-15%. Adjust trailer interior loads until that is achieved.
take your new rig, once properly set up,for late night drives. learn when roads are least congregated. Have a friend hand,with tools and such, who called upon if needed. Better yet,take a friend who has towing experience, with you,for pointers and suggestions.

Visit dedicated RV forumsfor mroe advice from those who tow regularly.

good luck!

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tried to flip them...there not a flip up tow mirror

Well IMHO you'll need some sort of tow mirrors. Most campers are about 8 feet and change wide. Got me wondering if some states require tow mirrors as they do break away switch and chains over certain weights? You are talking a travel trailer and not a slide in camper correct?

OP
OP
Rob Rice

Rob Rice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes a tow behind.....yup looks like mirrors.....where do I get good mirrors and the air bags everyone is telling me about??

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yes a tow behind.....yup looks like mirrors.....where do I get good mirrors and the air bags everyone is telling me about??

A1 Auto a vender on here can hook you up with mirrors.

Timbergrove is the air bags you want