Towing with a 4.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cole9191

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello guys first time poster here but have been reading info on the forum for quite sometime. So to my question I was wondering if anyone on the forum has towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer with tandem axles with there 4.7L with no brake controller equipped. The company I’m renting from does not have the trailer weight anywhere on the site and when I called, the guy just guessed some random number. I own a 2011 ram 1500 qc it is lifted 6” on 35s with 18” wheels with a bully dog tuner. Oh and also I’m moving about 30 min away maybe one or two hills

Thanks in advance!

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I used to pull my jeep wrangler on a 16ft trailer with double axles. My 4.7 didnt like it one bit, but it handled it ok. I averaged about 8mpg. On hills it would really struggle and shift down to 4th gear, but I never had any problems.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hello guys first time poster here but have been reading info on the forum for quite sometime. So to my question I was wondering if anyone on the forum has towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer with tandem axles with there 4.7L with no brake controller equipped. The company I’m renting from does not have the trailer weight anywhere on the site and when I called, the guy just guessed some random number. I own a 2011 ram 1500 qc it is lifted 6” on 35s with 18” wheels with a bully dog tuner. Oh and also I’m moving about 30 min away maybe one or two hills

Thanks in advance!

The trailer should have surge brakes attached to the tongue of the trailer.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You should be fine if you take your time. I pulled a trailer that size many times behind my Dakota with the 4.7

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agreed theres only so.much stuff you can put in a 6x12. I used a 6x12 open trailer to move this past year 3 miles between the houses. Took about 6 or 7 trips over several weekends but got it done.

I really dont think you'll have any issues. That trailer has to have a 5k or less gvwr.

You should have electric brakes at that weight. Air your truck tires to max sidewall pressure when cold and take your time. Your lift and big tires are not good for towing and it'll make that 4.7 work harder..but it'll get the job done. Let it rev on the hills. Make sure you have a deep enough drop shank so the trailer is sitting level or slightly nose down.

Make sure all your fluids are fresh and go for it.

2818micheal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L

Thanks in advance!
I have the a2011 , 1500,4.7 20” wheels and 3.55 gear ratio. I upgraded the rear suspension (hd springs and t1000 airbags) but I tow a 27’ TT 5600lbs dry about 7000lbs loaded I do have a diablo i3 tuner which helps immensely On the uphill but I also have the brake controls I would never take this in the mountains of Tennessee or Colorado but I made it through the mountains in Arkansas fairly well, if you suspect the weight is close to that of mine be cautious hope this helps also if you are in the hills don’t let it shift a lot as it will Tear up the transmission

TFaustino67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Need a bit of the same opinion:

2006 1500 4.7
Rear diff=3.55
GVWR = 6025 lbs

Would be running with a tow brake and trans temp gauge but I'm concerned with my tires (32s) and 6in lift

Trailer @ 3000 lbs dry
Hitch @350. Payload @900

I feel I might be overreaching the tow limit when I consider gear, etc.

Thoughts?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@TFaustino67 what type of tires are they? Even being typical P-metric tires found on a lot of trucks there shouldn't be a problem. Being 32"s they're close enough to the factory size so the 3.55 gearing isn't offset. You talking towing a 4K lbs trailer, that's not a heavy trailer should be able to pull it without worries. Probably don't need WDH or sway control of it's loaded correctly although either of them would be nice to have. Just don't get squirrely about the engine holding higher than normal rpms(it's not hurting the engine, low rpm lugging will). I tell guys who think running higher rpms while tow isn't right that if you want to tow at 2K rpms you should have bought a diesel.