Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unclejesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 flex vin code n
I have a 2008 Ram 1500 Slt 4 door 6.5 bed equipped with the 4.7 flex engine. We are in the process of buying a heavier by approximately 2000lb camper trailer. What are some ways to increase the ability to tow the heavier camper?

Thanks

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Increasing the towing capacity and payload on your truck beyond it's current rating is not recommended. Nor is towing above your current ratings.

It takes a lot of work, parts and money. Suspension, braking, wheels, tires, hitch capacity, differential gearing, frame section modulus, etc...all need to be addressed to increase those ratings.

You can use a WDH and load leveling air bags to make sure it tows nicely but it is highly recommended that the weight(s) not exceed the specified capacity (ies).

OP
OP
U

Unclejesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 flex vin code n
Tow capacity is listed at 7600 lbs not planning on going over 6000 lbs just want to be able to pull it without too much strain on engine, transmission.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I had a 3rd gen and now a 4th gen Ram, both with the 4.7. I normally pull around 5,000 lbs +. Biggest problem will be hills and head winds. Under those conditions I just shift to 4th gear.

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
unclejesse probably got his answer already or doesn't need it. I throw in my 1/2 a cent. I bought a 4.7 qc and I tow a 5300lb Travel trailer. It pulls just fine, but keep in mind I had been towing with 1992 chevy silverado :)