Tpms Senor battery? Or just dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got an alert today to service tpms and the rear left wheel doesn't show the psi. Is there a battery in the sensor that can go bad? There was no damage to the wheel or sensor, it just stopped sending data. Any ideas?

2014greatwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes they have closed batteries. You have to replace the sensor when it goes bad. A local tire shop should be able to scan it for you and tell you the battery life or if it needs to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got an alert today to service tpms and the rear left wheel doesn't show the psi. Is there a battery in the sensor that can go bad? There was no damage to the wheel or sensor, it just stopped sending data. Any ideas?

Yup. The average battery life is usually listed as 5-6 years, but I've seen anywhere from 2 to 10 years. They turn themselves off when not moving, so their lifespan is somewhat connected to mileage, but more accurately to time spent moving.

-K

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they have closed batteries. You have to replace the sensor when it goes bad. A local tire shop should be able to scan it for you and tell you the battery life or if it needs to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. The average battery life is usually listed as 5-6 years, but I've seen anywhere from 2 to 10 years. They turn themselves off when not moving, so their lifespan is somewhat connected to mileage, but more accurately to time spent moving.

-K

Aha that makes sense, thanks guys. I'll get it scanned and go from there.

Garry Ram 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful, even Dodge told me my sensors needed to be replaced but that was not the problem.

It was intermittent, and only showed up in the winter when it actually was dark enough for my lights to come on. Started out as only rear passenger going offline, and continued to be that location even with a tire rotation, then started to see both back sensors going offline. Took into Dodge figuring maybe a wiring issue with the sensor pickups. "Sensors are bad, replace", but why always the same tire locations, but different tires? "They must all be bad, replace", so I did at a cost of $400. Turns out it was interference caused buy the LED bulbs I installed 2 years earlier, good luck getting my $$'s back from dodge for the unneeded sensors.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure I've heard of any issues yet with the 2015+ system on the Rams.

2014 and earlier use a different p/n sensor in the wheel and I'm not sure on the system on the truck.

If you do go with a new sensor, stick with OEM as no programming is required. If everything is functioning, the truck will sync itself up with the new OEM sensor.

In terms of battery life, 8-10yrs isn't uncommon.

A battery issue on a 2017 seems unlikely to me.

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful, even Dodge told me my sensors needed to be replaced but that was not the problem.

It was intermittent, and only showed up in the winter when it actually was dark enough for my lights to come on. Started out as only rear passenger going offline, and continued to be that location even with a tire rotation, then started to see both back sensors going offline. Took into Dodge figuring maybe a wiring issue with the sensor pickups. "Sensors are bad, replace", but why always the same tire locations, but different tires? "They must all be bad, replace", so I did at a cost of $400. Turns out it was interference caused buy the LED bulbs I installed 2 years earlier, good luck getting my $$'s back from dodge for the unneeded sensors.
I'm not sure I've heard of any issues yet with the 2015+ system on the Rams.

2014 and earlier use a different p/n sensor in the wheel and I'm not sure on the system on the truck.

If you do go with a new sensor, stick with OEM as no programming is required. If everything is functioning, the truck will sync itself up with the new OEM sensor.

In terms of battery life, 8-10yrs isn't uncommon.

A battery issue on a 2017 seems unlikely to me.

Thanks for the info. The light came and went for a few days and now it's been on consistently. I forgot that I swap Oem wheels at one point and bought some ebay sensors which I think is the problem. I got a new Oem sensor from all Mopar parts today and will get it put in this weekend and see what the computer says.

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aftermarket sensors will work, but they require programming.

They worked without issue for over a year. Just had the tire shop put them in and drove away and they synced with the truck. I think I paid like 35 bucks for the 4 of them.