Tractor Trailer blowout: not a great start to a new year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So yesterday, there I am minding my own damn business when a semi in the middle lane blows out a tire right in front of me, making my choices: Left side wall, right side trailer, or hard brake in freeway traffic. :(

First question: I've never been/ or seen a blowout tire actually hit before. Is that anything like an accident where you're supposed to stop? Did I screw myself by pulling off at the next ramp and not following the truck or anything?

So the truck is the sport with plastic bumper and parksense in front, the tire debris took some small gouges out of the plastic and left some scuffs. It also knocked the middle drivers side park sensor out. I never really looked at them before, but the neat little hole where it was makes me think that they must just glue to the back of the bumper or something? I haven't been able to get a close look or underneath yet because it was after dark last night/ snowing and working today.

Anybody have any insight on how easy or expensive fixing this is going to be? Thanks.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
If it did not mess with the airbag sensors then it should be an easy fix. See how the sensor was mounted in the bumper if you can. If it looks like it was just glued or snapped in and it is hanging down under the truck then you should be alright if it still works by just sticking it back in the hole and using a good epoxy to hold it in. If the sensor is missing or not working then you will need to replace it. Not sure how much they cost but they should not be to much. As far as the scuffs go then you may be able to take a bit of sandpaper and carefully sand them down until they are gone.
Those retreads can be extremely dangerous. I have seen one cut a Camaro in half. But that idiot was big time tailgating. As far as insurance claims go unless you have a camera and it is recording at the time of the accident then you might be out of luck.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i was thinking just about a week ago why it is considered ok for truck tires to blow and have a huge section of the tire flip off into traffic. We have to have our cars inspected yearly and tires have to pass as part of "safety" Where is the safety inspection on these truck tires.

What made me think of this was hearing one blow on the other side of the highway and then seeing part of the tire in the air last week

sorry i know this doesn't answer your question lol. I'm sure your insurance will cover it under collision.

ramsport27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was thinking just about a week ago why it is considered ok for truck tires to blow and have a huge section of the tire flip off into traffic. We have to have our cars inspected yearly and tires have to pass as part of "safety" Where is the safety inspection on these truck tires.

What made me think of this was hearing one blow on the other side of the highway and then seeing part of the tire in the air last week

sorry i know this doesn't answer your question lol. I'm sure your insurance will cover it under collision.

Tires are inspected every day. Or atleast are supposed to legally.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

i ended up hitting a big chunk of tire a while back, had no choice to hit it, ran over it with the rear tire and put a big ole dent right before the bumper and sent the chunk flying into the air and nearly took out the car behind me.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So yesterday, there I am minding my own damn business when a semi in the middle lane blows out a tire right in front of me, making my choices: Left side wall, right side trailer, or hard brake in freeway traffic. :(

First question: I've never been/ or seen a blowout tire actually hit before. Is that anything like an accident where you're supposed to stop? Did I screw myself by pulling off at the next ramp and not following the truck or anything?

So the truck is the sport with plastic bumper and parksense in front, the tire debris took some small gouges out of the plastic and left some scuffs. It also knocked the middle drivers side park sensor out. I never really looked at them before, but the neat little hole where it was makes me think that they must just glue to the back of the bumper or something? I haven't been able to get a close look or underneath yet because it was after dark last night/ snowing and working today.

Anybody have any insight on how easy or expensive fixing this is going to be? Thanks.

next time grab the plate number or DOT number and make note of the date/time/location and call the company up. most decent companies will take care of it for you. otherwise they have insurance for that. same thing goes if a tractor trailer kicks up a big rock and damages your windshield.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're collision/comprehensive insurance would cover it….minus your deductible, of course. Downside is that then there is a carfax record of the accident.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
next time grab the plate number or DOT number and make note of the date/time/location and call the company up. most decent companies will take care of it for you. otherwise they have insurance for that. same thing goes if a tractor trailer kicks up a big rock and damages your windshield.

x2. I've had about 5 windshields replaced by the company of dump trucks for flying debris from their trucks.

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depends on the state.

MOST states, rocks, tire debris... etc. is considered a "road hazard" and covered under your comprehensive insurance.

Kentucky and Virginia, due to the coal truck traffic, windshields are free... covered under the Coal Severance Tax that all coal operators have to fund.

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Big Rig retreads should be illegal IMO..
The highway is littered with these ballistic missiles.

My wifes 2013 GS350 was 4 days old when the person in front of me hit a massive chuck of retread, and flipped it into the car.
I got off lucky.. had to buff out the hood, straighten out the windshield arms, and a change of underwear.

I duck retread chunks daily, and it ****** me off.

tenn.guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
??
Engine
ecoDIESEL
I'm just a troller with a dakota wanting a big boy truck .... Anyways if the tire was in the air when it hit, which probably was if it hit front bumper then it could fall under your comprehensive ded. If you ran over it and damaged vehicle it could fall under collision. That's how it is in TN anyways. Good luck.

OP
OP
nick84

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting Tenn.guy

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.....I'm a ky resident and already do for a windshield....I may get a quote from a friendly body shop to just knock it all out....I'll see what becomes of the park sensor.

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The truckers insurance should cover it. I am a trucker and had EXACTLY that happen to a mercedes that was tailgating me

And retreads are not an issue. Lack of air pressure in them causes blow outs. Lower pressure-higher temps-blowout.

That also can happen to a ****** tire as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nick84

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I assumed it was a retread, but you're right. Unfortunately it was dark and snowy on the truck, didn't get the plates or anything. Prob just gonna have to eat this one myself.