Tradesman vs Big Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darin Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok. In the market for a diesel 2500, trading in the 2014 Laramie mega cab, and I already know I'm going to miss some luxuries after trade in, but new Laramies are priced out of my budget.

That being said, there is a ton of money difference (average of about 10-15 grand) between the Tradesman and Big Horn. I've read what the manufacturer lists as the key differences, and I'm just not seeing a critical drop in quality of life, comfort, capability.etc.

I have to be missing something. Someone please educate me on why a Big Horn is worth that much more for a few bells and whistles like a better sound system. And also please let me know if a Tradesman purchase would leave me with less capability for towing, gas mileage, cargo capacity..etc.. because I'm not seeing it on the spec sheets.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently own a 2500 Tradesman and the truck before was a 2014 1500 Tradesman as well. In terms of capability Tradesman models are generally better as the higher optioned trucks simply because of reduced weight. In case of the 1500 it also had the proper part time 4wd transfer case as opposed to the clutch operated ones on higher trim levels.

Personally I don't care for heated/cooled/leather/15 way memory seats or a sunroof or a fancy radio. The only thing I'm missing, having owned a Limited Grand Cherokee before, are the automatic wipers. Otherwise a Tradesman with a few sensible options suits me just fine. Options like cloth seats and carpet, chrome appearance (unless a black or grey truck where the black bumpers look good), radio with hands-free, tow mirrors and brake controller and I'm good.

The highly optioned trucks are the money makers for the manufacturers. That $800 option is maybe only $100 in actual cost during production.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
You can get a Tradesman and up option it with the stuff you would like to have vs. the Bighorn standard options. It's basically options that you get. Tradesman trim more than likely will have a slightly higher cargo/towing capacities because the higher trim level options add weight....

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here's my opinion.
Specs for towing a whatnot or all the same.
What I like about the tradesman/express, (I have an express by the way) is you can add on any of those features that you want in the future. (If you're that kind of guy) if you're not then spend the extra $15,000 and get the bighorn.
I like to tinker and do things myself though. And in this forum there is a ton of help with people who have added features.
Anyways, just my two cents, probably not even worth a penny.... Lol
Good luck on whatever you decide brother.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
BigHorn is slightly more attractive on the exterior for a start; I'd pay money just to get rid of those crummy black plastic door handles on the tradesman but that's just me. The tradesman might limit you in what features you can add on, I believe when I priced my 1500 I couldn't get an 8 inch uconnect but the big horn offered it, not sure about 2500 today.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought my '15 Tradesman new, still waiting for the regret I've been promised.

To each his own but I just don't even notice that I'm in a basic vehicle, I don't know what kind of disgust I'm supposed to be feeling but I'm just not wired for that. Seat's comfy, If I'm cold there's a knob for that, if I'm hot there's a knob for that...

People complain that new trucks are 50k+ .... well, they don't have to be. I paid $26k new (six years ago)

OK I do wish I had power windows. The crank on my side is fine but those warm days it's nice to ride both windows open and if I was in a 90s Tacoma maybe I could reach over at a stop light but it's a bit of a reach in a full size. I've never once been bothered by the seat material, the door material, whatever other stuff is supposed to be unbearable about the base model.

IMG_20151030_140250.jpg

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ok. In the market for a diesel 2500, trading in the 2014 Laramie mega cab, and I already know I'm going to miss some luxuries after trade in, but new Laramies are priced out of my budget.

That being said, there is a ton of money difference (average of about 10-15 grand) between the Tradesman and Big Horn. I've read what the manufacturer lists as the key differences, and I'm just not seeing a critical drop in quality of life, comfort, capability.etc.

I have to be missing something. Someone please educate me on why a Big Horn is worth that much more for a few bells and whistles like a better sound system. And also please let me know if a Tradesman purchase would leave me with less capability for towing, gas mileage, cargo capacity..etc.. because I'm not seeing it on the spec sheets.

I'd suggest you look at the 3500 tradesman also. You might be surprised at what you get for the money.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My tradesman doesn’t even have carpet. Im guessing it was ordered that way from the previous owner. Was one of the biggest reasons I wanted it. But it does have plenty of other power options and Bluetooth with 5 in uconnect radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another vote for Tradesman. I have a 2018 2500, it came with some upgrades such as carpet. I personally don't like painted or chrome door handles, they scratch too easy. I added a few options such as 8.4 UAS radio with harness to see back up camera in it for 1/3 the price of a package upgrade. I installed overhead console again much cheaper than package to get it. Added factory switch and harness fog lights for under $100 including lights and brackets. Everything can be enabled with AlphaOBD. The ride is nice, I don't have to worry that everything controlled by the radio won't work, and don't miss the electric seat that I basically set once in my last Ram then kept moving accidentally when I leaned in to grab something on the seat. All in all, I couldn't be happier with my truck, and it is currently worth more than I paid for it 1.5 years ago. Hope you get what you want, and enjoy the ride!

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe when I priced my 1500 I couldn't get an 8 inch uconnect but the big horn offered it, not sure about 2500 today.

I'm not sure about the 2500's either but starting in '19 you can get the 8" uconnect in the 1500 Express. Up until then it was only available in the Big Horn trim and up.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OMG! I can't imagine having to turn the wipers on manually. :crazy:

LOL ! It's not so much turning them on but where I live I have to constantly change the interval as the rain is somewhat inconsistent...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Buy the Tradesman
Slightly better payload
slightly better fuel mileage

So what if you actually have to roll the windows up & down by hand
I did that from 1955 up to 2009, then i got lazy

You can always upgrade seats & radio, etc. sometime down the road when a deal comes along that you just can't turn down

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I like my 2500 tradesman with snow chief package. It has carpet, chrome grille and bumpers, clearance lights, pw and pdl, cruise and bluetooth. Only thing I wish it had was the 4.10 gears, but those were very hard to find when I was looking. Next time I will get a 3500

That all I need. Don't need or want a touch screen radio, etc.

But that just me.

Pricejh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In ‘16 I traded a ‘12 Larimie 1500 for a lightly used ‘16 Tradesman. It came with diesel, power windows, AC, auto, 4x4, small UConnect and the tow package. Yeh, I miss some of the comfort features but the capacity is much better. Really don’t need the status features. Got a Garmin Dezl GPS for navigation. The radio Bluetooth works fine and I can tune in Serius if I want. Saved 20 grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro