Trailer break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juanpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i need some advice about installing trailer break on my 2011 ram 1500 big horn, i saw few videos on how to do it , seems fairly easy but then at the end they are talking about bringing the truck to the dealer fo “flash” what does that mean? So bring it to the dealer no matter what? Or is there an alternative? Thanks for your support

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It just means to tell the truck's computer that the trailer brake(not break) is there so they can communicate with each other. You can also use AlphaOBD do it yourself. Big thread on this in the DIY section of the forum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What type of trailer brake controller are you talking about? An OEM one will require a flash like Bryce said but an after market one just plugs in providing you have the proper harness. If not just wire it in to the factory harness. No flash is required.

I use a Tekonsha P3 brake controller with a wiring harness specifically for my Ram. They sell them too. It was literally plug and play. It took longer to mount the controller with two screws than to hook it up. As far as aftermarket controllers go the P3 is the best.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Actually, on the 2009 - 2012's, you really do not need to flash the truck at all, it will work fine without the flash, all the flash does is tell the truck it's installed and show the brake controller in the EVIC, nothing else. I drove my 2010 for a couple of years before I had it flashed. As posted above, you can add it yourself with AlfaOBD, probably around the same price for the software and adapter as what the dealer would charge.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
i need some advice about installing trailer break on my 2011 ram 1500 big horn, i saw few videos on how to do it , seems fairly easy but then at the end they are talking about bringing the truck to the dealer fo “flash” what does that mean? So bring it to the dealer no matter what? Or is there an alternative? Thanks for your support

well you are not going to put a trailer brake on your truck right? The trailer yes. So, what is the trailer weight etc? Here are the laws on trailer brakes per state. As loudram said, if you wire the brake into the plug and that fits into factory harness, you wont need a flash.

some helpful info if you use an rfe to tow..

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I also went with the tekonsha P3, and by passed my FBC. The ram controller isnt all that great. Plugged right into the factory harness with the correct adapter wiring.

Jeff Bottemiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have the Tekonsha P2 myself. It's far superior to the OEM controller that came with my rig. It just plugs in to the factory harness as stated above (you do need to get the adapter harness for your truck).

My only issue is that I now have a "check controller" indicator on my dash because it can't find the OEM controller. Will the AlfaOBD be able to remove that?