Trailer Tow mirrors important question answered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcomp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 Limited is on order and it will have the surround cameras which make the extending tow mirrors in the $400 factory package non selectable.

I went online and found these but the question was if these snap on mirrors would conflict with the cameras? Posed that question to the distributor and got this answer. http://www.etrailer.com/question-407932.html?fb=yes

As my possible camper is 8' wide, it's important to have better visibility to the back of the trailer so I was happy to find that these mirrors have cutouts that do not obscure the built in cameras (they're on the bottom) on the standard mirrors.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The mirrors recommended by etrailer.com are not going to be very good for use with a camper and not nearly as good as the OEM tow mirrors. With a camper I would pass on the cameras and go with the factory tow mirrors. What does help is a rear camera on the back of the camper that you can monitor from inside the cab.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got the tow mirrors on my laramie because my trailer is 8' wide. they do a better job of showing the side of the trailer than the stock mirrors but they are manual folding. lucky for me that I had the foresight to put a 9' wide door on my garage/shop where I park my truck. I dont like folding the driver one back by hand and figure after a few hundred times it might not stay out at 75 on the highway so I dont but I only have about an inch and a half on each side of the door when pulling in or backing out of the garage. also I dont like the split view 2 piece glass. I would prefer just one piece. I never tow with them in the veritcal position..that doesnt give as good a view down the side to the back of the trailer. the good thing is the truck lets me know when I have passed a vehicle in the other lane so I can move over. I dont miss having surround cameras. my wife's infinity has that and I notice that she doesnt even look at the screen when parking. I would probably only use it to see the passenger side curb when pulling into a parking spot, so no big loss. I get more use out of the tow mirrors

OP
OP
A

alexcomp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mirrors recommended by etrailer.com are not going to be very good for use with a camper and not nearly as good as the OEM tow mirrors. With a camper I would pass on the cameras and go with the factory tow mirrors. What does help is a rear camera on the back of the camper that you can monitor from inside the cab.

90 -95% of my miles will be non-towing so I wanted the cameras. Also, the Limited trim level with the addon feature package selects the cameras. Not an option to delete. So the factory tow mirrors are not doable.

OP
OP
A

alexcomp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the tow mirrors on my laramie because my trailer is 8' wide. they do a better job of showing the side of the trailer than the stock mirrors but they are manual folding. lucky for me that I had the foresight to put a 9' wide door on my garage/shop where I park my truck. I dont like folding the driver one back by hand and figure after a few hundred times it might not stay out at 75 on the highway so I dont but I only have about an inch and a half on each side of the door when pulling in or backing out of the garage. also I dont like the split view 2 piece glass. I would prefer just one piece. I never tow with them in the veritcal position..that doesnt give as good a view down the side to the back of the trailer. the good thing is the truck lets me know when I have passed a vehicle in the other lane so I can move over. I dont miss having surround cameras. my wife's infinity has that and I notice that she doesnt even look at the screen when parking. I would probably only use it to see the passenger side curb when pulling into a parking spot, so no big loss. I get more use out of the tow mirrors
See my other reply. Factory tow mirrors not an option with my configuration.

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 2500 bighorn. On my last truck I had installed a wired camera on back of trailer to a monitor mounted on dash. Well the new Ram has the 12 inch screen and I didn’t want to add more screen or mess up the dash so I bought a auto vox T1400W wireless camera and mirror that fits over the truck rear view mirror from Amazon. I mounted the camera back of trailer and ran wiring underneath to the storage compartment up front where I mounted the transmitter and wired it into battery with a fuse. Now whenever the trailer is near the truck the display lights up in mirror showing behind trailer, if not near trailer it acts like a normal mirror. Cost me just over a hundred bucks.

Nationaljan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
90 -95% of my miles will be non-towing so I wanted the cameras. Also, the Limited trim level with the addon feature package selects the cameras. Not an option to delete. So the factory tow mirrors are not doable.
Have limited. Have 360 camera and power folding. Taking off, to replace with stock tow mirror! It depends on what you use more..

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a ‘20 limited as well. I tried towing my TT with the stock mirrors and needed a better rear view. I ordered these:
K Source 80730 Snap & Zap Custom Fit Towing Mirror for Dodge Ram 1500 Non-Classic Models (2019+), Pair
And they are a big improvement. As good as the flip-up tow mirrors? Probably not, but easy, convenient, and I can see behind the camper while towing.

The 360 view is not impeded nor are turn signals or any other function. I’m happy with them.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I just traded in my '19 1500 for a '19 2500. The power folding mirrors are wonderful !