Trans temp 2013 6speed

What temp does your 6speed trans normally operate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cblack13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

this is my first post. I have a 2013 1500 4x4 with a 6 speed and I’m seeing 200+ degrees empty on the trans. I’ve seen posts about people staying considerably cooler even when towing. I’ve flushed the transmission at 110k and replace the trans solenoids and filters and atf 5k miles. Are these trans temps normal? Am I too paranoid? Should I replace the trans temp sensor? I’m probably going to be buying a larger camper around 5-6k lbs. let me know what y’all would do.

Thanks,

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run around 130-150 normal at 80 degrees outside. I get to 200-220 when pulling my 30ft TT.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello all,

this is my first post. I have a 2013 1500 4x4 with a 6 speed and I’m seeing 200+ degrees empty on the trans. I’ve seen posts about people staying considerably cooler even when towing. I’ve flushed the transmission at 110k and replace the trans solenoids and filters and atf 5k miles. Are these trans temps normal? Am I too paranoid? Should I replace the trans temp sensor? I’m probably going to be buying a larger camper around 5-6k lbs. let me know what y’all would do.

Thanks,
Well, if you want to replace the transmission temperature sensor you will have to replace the solenoid pack again because the PCM reads temp from a thermistor on the TRS or the Transmission Range Switch.

OP
OP
C

cblack13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the responses, so it sounds like My trans is almost toast?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No, that temp is not normal. Way too high. I take it you didn't remove the transmission thermostat? It's probably stuck closed and your oil isn't reaching the oil cooler radiator.

Get the RevMax bypass valve block and get that thing outta there.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No, that temp is not normal. Way too high. I take it you didn't remove the transmission thermostat? It's probably stuck closed and your oil isn't reaching the oil cooler radiator.

Get the RevMax bypass valve block and get that thing outta there.
The OP's transmission is the 65RFE so he doesn't have the ability to remove the thermostat like he could if it were an 8HP70.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for the responses, so it sounds like My trans is almost toast?
I wouldn't say the transmission is toast yet. There are still a few other things that can be inspected before making a determination.

First, does the truck have the original transmission cooler installed? Get yourself a cheap infrared thermometer and start taking some temps. Take the truck on a test drive and monitor the trans temp in the EVIC. Once the trans temp reaches 200° take the infrared thermometer and check the temperature of the trans pan. Then, check the temp of the trans cooler lines at the inlet and outlet of the trans cooler. Checking the cooler line temps will show you if the cooler is doing a good job and working properly.

Another question I have...how is the transmission shifting under normal driving conditions? Does it shift good and firm under heavier throttle conditions?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yours is quite different from his.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have the 66RFE and it is removable, so other members told me.
The 66RFE utilizes the same solenoid pack as the 65RFE with the grey connector. All RFE's receive their transmission temperature from a thermistor that is integral to the TRS or the Transmission Range Switch and it is not a replaceable part. If there is a suspected failure of the thermistor then the solenoid pack will require replacement.

OP
OP
C

cblack13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't say the transmission is toast yet. There are still a few other things that can be inspected before making a determination.

First, does the truck have the original transmission cooler installed? Get yourself a cheap infrared thermometer and start taking some temps. Take the truck on a test drive and monitor the trans temp in the EVIC. Once the trans temp reaches 200° take the infrared thermometer and check the temperature of the trans pan. Then, check the temp of the trans cooler lines at the inlet and outlet of the trans cooler. Checking the cooler line temps will show you if the cooler is doing a good job and working properly.

Another question I have...how is the transmission shifting under normal driving conditions? Does it shift good and firm under heavier throttle conditions?

I’ll get a thermometer, that’s an awesome idea. The transmission shifts good and firm. Sometimes it feels a bit clunky downshifting but I think it’s the the nature of the beast.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think I've ever seen the high side of 190, towing in Arizona in summer..

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ll get a thermometer, that’s an awesome idea. The transmission shifts good and firm. Sometimes it feels a bit clunky downshifting but I think it’s the the nature of the beast.
Using an infrared thermometer will give you an idea about what is happening inside the cooler and inside the sump of the transmission. Let us know what you find.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hello all,

Thanks,

When you drop the pan and do filters, move to ester based redline c+, that fluid is mainly for warm performance, it wont break down like regular atf. But, more importantly bypass the thermo valve immediately. @AFMoulton is leading the way on this.

look up metal filter thread upgrade with synthetic filter options.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am about to do a transmission service on my 6 speed. It runs 190-203. Mine has ran that temp for 4+ years and never a issue.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Transmission oil isn't meant to run above 140F with >10,000 mile oil change intervals, is the point. Engine oil runs @ 230F, which is one of the reasons we can't wait to change it at 50,000 miles, aside from combustion blowby contamination.

It's Russian Roulette to let these things run north of 140F oil temp and not change oil @ 30,000 miles, max. I said elsewhere what I learned at Mobil Oil about oil oxidation rates........for every 20F above 140F, oil oxidation life is cut in HALF.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is around 156 while towing in 86 degrees at 65mph. Camper is 7000# dry. I have seen it climb in the 160's going uphill for several miles. I'm talking engine RPM is 2500 or higher too. I have a 2016 Big Horn with 3.92 gears and 6 speed.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s amazing how someone reads something,then starts preaching like it’s the Bible,it’s a FACT, I do not know anything for certain. Hell I may not even be typing this.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your thermostat in the trans lines is bad, that’s why it’s running that hot. Delete it ASAP and f
Put new fluid in also.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40