Synthetic Filter Options for RFE transmsions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surely all this info goes for the 65rfe as well right? I dont see where anybody specifically states 65rfe only 545, 45, 66 & 68. Would really like to add these great ideas but wont to be 100% itll work before i order everything. Thanks for the help.

Michael Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Whats everyone's opinion on this filter kit offerd at O'Reilly auto parts.

WIX Transmission Filter kit
Part #58846

Line:WIX

Michael Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Seems like a decent filter being that its a wix. Not sure if you could use synthetic fluid?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Seems like a decent filter being that its a wix. Not sure if you could use synthetic fluid?

For the "wix" to matter as far as quality, it has to be wix xp, and you can use wix xp with the transmission, you just need what you already ordered the metal thread upgrade. Might want to knock off paint. For the sump filter, only oem has what we like, your choice.

WIX 57055XP
RP 10-2867
XG7317
EA15K13 amsoil

are the filters that will last many years. If you hang a paper filter on there after three mos it will be useless. You really should read this thread before buying one of those all in one kits. Gasket maker beats gasket as well, with gasket maker it simply wont leak.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The after market kits like wix xp or others don't have that little hole that oem has. rfe's are so finicky, we want to stick with oem. Plus, the oem sump filter media will last as long as you want it to. After 9 years I could have used mine over again, lol.

61wTPvOBH-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My oem cut open 9 years, still undirty and in great shape.

46256419055_1988541e45_z.jpg

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those using the metal adaptor for the spin on filter, which side if either are people putting blue locktite on? I would think the filter side?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I like the wix xp even over rp below, you can use your metal thread to attach another filter to help you knock off paint.

47406691711_23f958ab2f_c.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For those using the metal adaptor for the spin on filter, which side if either are people putting blue locktite on? I would think the filter side?

with kyles thread, it is not needed imo

Michael Jones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
So what I need to buy is :

1) WIX 57055XP- knock the paint off the canister

2) Ebay, metal hex thread adapter

3) ATS thermo bypass valve up grade

4) OEM Mopar sump pump filter

5) pan gasket sealer of some sort (rtv or cork)

6) Redline C+ Synthetic transmission fluid, 7qts roughly

And I will have one hell of a 66RFE !

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So what I need to buy is :

1) WIX 57055XP- knock the paint off the canister

2) Ebay, metal hex thread adapter

3) ATS thermo bypass valve up grade

4) OEM Mopar sump pump filter

5) pan gasket sealer of some sort (rtv or cork)

6) Redline C+ Synthetic transmission fluid, 7qts roughly

And I will have one hell of a 66RFE !

It's a start, but there is much more to consider. Every guy who has an rfe needs to watch these two videos hemi395 drummed up. Now, you are under warranty, maybe you have a good start with that plan, however a plate or gasket and upgraded valve body can save those clutches as well, especially if you tow.

Really watch these video's if you never pay any mind to any of my posts. The rfe can be a better choice then the 8 speed with the upgrades, especially to valve body. Invest in valve body upgrades, very easy dyi job you do not have to drop transmission. The suncoast is a long watch like 30 minutes, but do yourself a favor and learn about your transmission. This is what Ram Forum is all about, sharing solid info and it doesn't get any better then those video's for guys with the rfe.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So I should wait till out of factory 5yr/60k warranty?

If you are towing, it's your call I cant make that. My brother tranny fca only paid for one, he paid for 2 out of pocket, it was a business. Apparently he was lucky that fca paid for one. So there are two things we discussed, first things first those things should help your trans temp which is what we discussed first.

I can't really say what I would do to be honest, part of me thinks I would wait, part thinks I would upgrade VB. What tends to happen with the rfe is it loses OD clutches first, if you do the valve body upgrades it should protect those better. Better shifting which saves them from wear, and no leaking which protects them. Back in the day we called those upgrades a "shift kit". Read wiki on shift kit and you decide for you. I will say this, if you are dropping trans pan to change fluid and filters, it would be convenient to do VB upgrades.

Towing considerations[edit]
During a shift, power is lost in the clutch (for automatic transmissions the clutches are usually internal) due to clutch slip and the difference between the current and final output shaft speeds. This makes a quick shift more desirable when towing, to reduce clutch wear and heat developed in the transmission. Balancing this, too quick a shift increases peak mechanical loads on the transmission, engine and drive train; an instant shift would cause impact loads and lead to early mechanical failure, as well as an unpleasant driving experience.

So as far as the second part, you would fine tune the shifts with a tuner and trans psi and shift points. Not as scary as it sounds. And not to be lost a driver can be a main factor as well, if you know your shift points you take your foot off the gas to help the trans shift easier.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wouldn’t this kit work to fix the accumulator issue just as well? Along with the upgraded accumulator plate from them.

I’m not a big fan of ATS transmissions. The diesel guys will tell you they make a trash transmission.

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4688-accumulator-piston-kit

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/33-accumulator-cover-plate-kit

For sure, the info posted should be viewed only for the sake of showing the weaknesses of the rfe, I suggest anyone research different brands to find the best for them. There are a few options, I have no opinion which one is better. ATS has had some quality issues when these first came out according to many reports, some say those issues are over, i have no idea either way.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For sure, the info posted should be viewed only for the sake of showing the weaknesses of the rfe, I suggest anyone research different brands to find the best for them. There are a few options, I have no opinion which one is better. ATS has had some quality issues when these first came out according to many reports, some say those issues are over, i have no idea either way.

I’m also concerned if a quick relearn would need to be done after these upgrades I listed.
I’m at 62k miles on mine, and planning on finally changing my fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk