Trans temp issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
01 Ram 5.9 with 46RE trans.

I installed a remand trans about 2 years ago with about 8k miles since install. Runs smooth shifts smooth with no issues. The issue is with either hard driving or hauling my trans temp light will come on or the O/D light will come on. I have an external trans cooler. Its happened about three times and every time it has happened I either just pulled up to my house or a block away when the light came on. So I haven’t running it when lights came on. Also, I replaced the TV cable but had the issue happen prior. Never had the issue prior to replacing the trans. I drive 20 miles back and forth to work and don’t have any issues. I did a fluid and fluted change about a month ago.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
delete the check ball valve. it is likely clogged. It on the line going up to the radiator. You can remove it and if you cannot blow through it easily then it is clogged.

OP
OP
B

BlackAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
delete the check ball valve. it is likely clogged. It on the line going up to the radiator. You can remove it and if you cannot blow through it easily then it is clogged.

My lines aren’t going to the radiator. I have an external cooler mounted to the front of my radiator.

I have thought about blowing out the lines this weekend.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Did you bypass them? Stock they go through radiator, and on the trucks with the trans cooler go through radiator and then the trans cooler. Unless you bypassed or previous owner it runs through the radiator as well.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Understood about the aftermarket cooler. you may still have the check valve, you can remove that section and try to blow through it. Ive seen the check valves get clogged on trucks with 70k miles and also not be clogged on trucks with 200k plus.

in the event you do not have the check valve and it was already deleted you may want to check trans fluid level hot running idle in neutral.

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Needs to enter the low point in rad exit the rad then to the external oil cooler then return to tranny. I pull huge loads and had the same issue without an cooler added the cooler after the rad no issues at all.and i pull way over what is even legal with no issues.

Message_1620782255299.jpg