Transmission impact noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi everyone:

When transmission downshifting especially from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd , sometimes 2nd to 1st, it has impact noise, not huge but definitely noticeable. It’s happening from new now 5000km, not getting worse. Do I need to check or do something?
Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'd check if there is any slop in the driveline to the rear axle. Might need to lube the driveshaft splines, make sure to mark the driveshaft when you separate it so it can be reinstalled phased properly

OP
OP
Power Wagon NZ
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd check if there is any slop in the driveline to the rear axle. Might need to lube the driveshaft splines, make sure to mark the driveshaft when you separate it so it can be reinstalled phased properly
Thanks . But I am sure it’s from transmission not driveshaft. Once the transmission oil temp reaches 75 degree it’s much better.

akguy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My trans is cluncky when downshifting from 3rd down. Sometimes into 1st is a little more noisy

OP
OP
Power Wagon NZ
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
After more test driving. I have found it happens most time when downshifting from 5th to 4th. An impact feeling and noise can be heard from cabin just like shifting impact. Sometimes it's very smooth but sometimes feel bad. Another thing is if I give a little bit gas immediately after downshift from 5th to 4th then can definitely feel the impact every time.

Have checked driveshaft didn't see anything wrong. I would rather believe that the ZF transmission is just like that.........

It's new truck, please don't have any problem......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith