Transmission issue!! Help please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muzik36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I have a 2005 1500 SLT 4.7L V8 4x4 QuadCab with 98,*** miles and I just experienced a travesty! My truck has always ran great and I have only had minor issues such as an exhaust leak and a faulty instrument cluster, but today, after about 4 years of not engaging my 4x4 mode, I attempted to and the truck reacted and drove under complete stress. The initial shift into the 4H mode was smooth but after reaching 15 mph the car started to make a squealing noise and when I slowed down the noise intensified. I kept the truck in the 4H mode to the end of the street and when I attempted to make the left turn the front wheels felt like they were losing power and under extreme stress and then the truck began to jerk. At this point I tried putting it in 4L to see if the same would occur and it did. The truck runs perfect in 2H but now I am concerned that the transmission is going to give out at any second so are there any suggestions out there?
Also, I asked my uncle to look at it, and after he drove it he said it sounds like the 4x4 may be running dry and needs oil. We did not have any tools on us so we could not check at the moment but he was able to pull off some plug in the front of the car to check the transmission oil and he said it does not look good because the oil had black residue in it. Today was Sunday so all the transmission mechanics around me were closed so I am going to take it in some time this week for a diagnostic.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
transfer case operates 4wd, so the transmission should be fine regarding the problems you are having.
my first thought was bad ujoints. they will squeak and squeal like angry sparrows.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bob is right...were you on dry pavement when you engaged it?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
T-case prob needs fluid. Welcome to RF BTW. The wheels feeling they they are biting is normal when on the ash in 4hi or 4lo. Ujoints could have gone dry or locking, not a very hard fix.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF. What they said

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. I agree with the others. I would check the transfer case since the truck is having problems while in 4x4.