Transmission going to be okay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 ram, was out bird hunting and along the way I hit a piece of wood which punctured the transmission pan. I continued to drive not knowing I had even hit anything. The truck started having a warning on dash saying the truck 4x4 is unavailable. then there was a grinding and a bam truck slammed into park. Was going maybe 5 mph when this happened. Truck is at dealer they wanna put a new pan on and fill it back up and send her down the road. (Insurance said they cover new transmission but dealer thinks a pan and gasket is fine) Thoughts ? Is this transmission gonna fail another 5k down. I’m hopping that when the transmission lost fluid it just threw itself in park to save itself. I also could not get truck back into gear after this happend.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I would have the dealer do the full transmission service, AND note on the work order that there could be Progressive Damages of the transmission.

It is really unknown right now if your transmission will be okay.
You know how it shifted before, so keep a keen sense about you when driving.

I would also call your insurance and advise them that you did go the initial pan/oil & filter replacement route in hopes all will be okay.

However, stress to them that there could be progressive damages to the transmission as you did unknowingly drive it while fluid was dumping out of it, and then at low speed it locked up solid, too. That you want this documented on the policy and covered if you require a new transmission.

Transmissions can be finicky things!

Personally, I'd take it after the service (hopefully it shifts & drives okay), and claim progressive damages, and get a new transmission on order, just because!

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I suspect you'll be ok with a new pan and proper fluid fill, but you'll know if something is up with it once you get it back.

I'm surprised the dealer isn't jumping at the opportunity to do an insurance job, but just have something on the invoice documenting their advice and if it ends up needing a trans your insurance agent should have no problem getting it taken care of.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
How do u claim progressive damage?
You ensure that you communicate this verbiage with the dealer and the insurance claims adjuster upfront.

It needs to be in writing on the dealer service report (work order), and then also written into the claim report on the insurance end, too.

"At the time of the transmission service - a new transmission filter/pan, pan gasket, and fluid were replaced, and there was no immediate difference in operation. However, it is unknown at this time if there could be progressive damages to the transmission as a direct result of the transmission losing all its fluid while operating under normal road driving conditions and then the transmission locking up while in motion, too".

It needs to be written into the scope at the forefront of this claims process so there is no contesting it down the road if there is damage as a result; progressive damages.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I suspect you'll be ok with a new pan and proper fluid fill, but you'll know if something is up with it once you get it back.

I'm surprised the dealer isn't jumping at the opportunity to do an insurance job, but just have something on the invoice documenting their advice and if it ends up needing a trans your insurance agent should have no problem getting it taken care of.

You ensure that you communicate this verbiage with the dealer and the insurance claims adjuster upfront.

It needs to be in writing on the dealer service report (work order), and then also written into the claim report on the insurance end, too.

"At the time of the transmission service - a new transmission filter/pan, pan gasket, and fluid were replaced, and there was no immediate difference in operation. However, it is unknown at this time if there could be progressive damages to the transmission as a direct result of the transmission losing all its fluid while operating under normal road driving conditions and then the transmission locking up while in motion, too".

It needs to be written into the scope at the forefront of this claims process so there is no contesting it down the road if there is damage as a result; progressive damages.
Well said. CYA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat