Transmission Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A6USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have had my Ram for just over a year now, and I had to bring it into the dealer mon. because of a transmission leak. I smelled it hitting the exhaust and then crawled under to find fluid on the tranny. They said it appeared that it came out of the breather, and maybe the shop that does my oil might have overfilled it. That shop in question said they didn't even check it because there is no dipstick on my truck. The dealer further more said it was a little low on fluid, and they topped it off,????? why would you top something off that was coming out of the breather? and also just after suggesting the oil changing place might have over filled it?? Has anyone else had a similar leak/problem? I am going on a 500 mile trip this weekend and hope all will be good.
Thanks,
Brian

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may have needed to be topped off because it was coming out of the breather. If the fluid is over filled, it can get frothy, then over heat, then boil over. When it is back at operating temp it is now low.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It may have needed to be topped off because it was coming out of the breather. If the fluid is over filled, it can get frothy, then over heat, then boil over. When it is back at operating temp it is now low.

Skeptical walrus is skeptical. I would doubt high air entrainment would cause it to boil. It is possible that IF it was too full it could start to froth up from getting whipped by gears it isn't supposed to touch, and then as the froth bled out the breather the level dropped some, but as the level dropped it should have stopped frothing, and stabilized. Now that the dealer topped it off again, you may have the same problem.

Do you have the Chrysler built 8 speed? I know there have been lots of complaints about them cutting some corners as far as build quality is concerned. Maybe you have a faulty breather on the end of the tube, and it is doing weird ****.

OP
OP
A6USMC

A6USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I am not sure who built it,, I would assume chrysler, as I thought I read once that they were beefing it up so it could be rated @7500 lbs towing?? it is the 8spd. The only other thing that could be thrown into the pot, is I have always noticed a slight shutter after putting it in drive from Park. It has always seemed to shift fine, and this has been the first problem with the truck since I got it.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I'm interested in how your trans temp has been running recently. Has it been hot? Shuttering on gears?

Honestly, if it continues, guess what, it should still be covered under warranty and they have to replace it.

OP
OP
A6USMC

A6USMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have never see an idiot light for the tranny, and the only shutter has been for brief moments when going from park to drive.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Skeptical walrus is skeptical. I would doubt high air entrainment would cause it to boil. It is possible that IF it was too full it could start to froth up from getting whipped by gears it isn't supposed to touch, and then as the froth bled out the breather the level dropped some, but as the level dropped it should have stopped frothing, and stabilized. Now that the dealer topped it off again, you may have the same problem.

Do you have the Chrysler built 8 speed? I know there have been lots of complaints about them cutting some corners as far as build quality is concerned. Maybe you have a faulty breather on the end of the tube, and it is doing weird ****.

The breather tube for the 8speed runs to the top of the engine bay.
tranny fluid on a hot exhaust is a fire waiting to happen........

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Bad thing is, even it is low. You can't add any. It's sealed. The 8speed that it
Well there might be a port on the side of tranny case somewhere, but it won't be easy to fill.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd clean up everything really well and keep a close eye on it. First sign of trouble, any fluid or even the stutter you mention, I'd start bringing it in to them and complaining. You have to start documenting the issue with them and making it the dealer's problem.